Is Roscoe a lock to make the team?

I think he lets way too many punts bounce and roll 20 yards down the field. Not sure if he misjudges a lot of punts or is trying to pad his punt return average, but he was a negative factor in a lot of games last year. He is too small and not powerful enough to break tackles as a WR. As a punt returner, he operates in space that you don't get playing offense or even returning kicks. He's a great punt returner when he actually catches the ball, but his contract and Spiller + McKelvin probably means he doesn't make the team.

I agree--I have posted this in the past. The guy racks up a "record" punt return average, but doen'st actually return a lot of punts.

And to the "if used properly" crowd, what exactly should they do with him? What did you see when he was a receiver (not of punts) that made you think he is a good WR? What has the coaching staff been missing? The guy struggles to catch the ball and run downfield.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't even know why I try to engage in reasonable debate on this board. The word "reasonable" doesn't exist in too many of your vocabularies. It's all black or white, your way or the highway. Whatever. Cut the bastard.

The original question and topic does not leave much room for the debate you desire. Roscoe's history with the team is pretty easily summed up:

His play as a WR has been mostly unproductive - there are two general schools of thought around this - one there is a camp that believes he has no been deployed properly as a WR - two, (the camp that I am in) the guy does not have what it takes to be a productive WR in the NFL

His return play (punts only) has largely been very productive with some concerns about what appears to be a fall from grace last season.

The "debate" then simply boils down to is he a viable WR and do his punt return skills give him to a spot on the roster (at his salary level). What are you seeking to debate beyond this?

So by "pot stirrers" you mean anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion??

No, as a matter of fact I don't. I mean people who just love to take the opposing view. Winning the debate is more important than the validity of the point being debated. A pot stirrer would be someone who justifies getting rid of Roscoe in one post and then justifies keeping him in another, just to take an opposing view with someone else; for example.

Hmm, got it, thanks for clearing that up! :thumbsup:

I hope I cleared it up, above. No reason to get all snarky, especially since this was not directed at you.

I guess we should keep him because of his obvious statlines each year. (Except maybe we should leave him in the press box when playing Cleveland. Oh, we should also remind him the Endzone is north/south not east/west. Oh, we should also tell him to actually AVOID tacklers instead of trying to run around in one big circle)

His salary isn't all that much and he has proven to be a playmaker. If the Bills got rid of every player who had a sub par season last year, how many players would be left? Roscoe had a crappy year and so did a bunch of the other players, at least those that weren't in IR. I wasn't happy, you weren't happy and I'm reasonably sure THEY weren't happy. I think we're all happy that clusterboink is over. This is going to be a different team from last year. Get 'em on the field and turn 'em loose.