UVa Lacrosse Murder

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5165967

I apologize if it was already posted but I didn't see it. But I find it strange that no one has mentioned this case. If it was an inner-city basketball player instead, do you think more people would care? Just curious.

No.

Come to my town. People shoot each other over things like sunglasses, "dissing my woman", dissing me, the usual drug turf stuff etc.

You could probably label 90%+ of the killers as "inner-city" basketball players, and be correct, as well as a substantial portion of the deceased. And sadly, many innocent, good souls have been murdered along the way - folks in the wrong place at the wrong time... :lol:

I was watching CourtTV yesterday (TruTV now :lol: ) and they talked about this case for about half an hour in between segments about a murder in Georgia. Haven't seen it on any of the major "news" networks yet, though.

If it was an inner-city basketball player instead, do you think more people would care? Just curious.

Because this board doesn't have a KenyaBillzfan who's obsessed with white on white violence?

No.

Come to my town. People shoot each other over things like sunglasses, "dissing my woman", dissing me, the usual drug turf stuff etc.

You could probably label 90%+ of the killers as "inner-city" basketball players, and be correct, as well as a substantial portion of the deceased. And sadly, many innocent, good souls have been murdered along the way - folks in the wrong place at the wrong time... :lol:

There's a lot there and a lot of times, it is a whole different feeling about life and death in the inner-city. Not to make excuses but growing up in Compton is an entirely different lifestyle than growing up in Orange County.

My main point is that a white kid with who seems to come from a good background, playing for a team that was ranked #1 in the country may have murdered his girlfriend, weeks before they graduated. Yet, it seems like he gets little notice. But if it was Pacman or Chris Henry, peopel would be talking about them as "thugs" and killing them.

Why is there the double standard? Maybe because it hits closer to home for the majority of people? And Cincy, I'm not calling you out because I respect you as a poster, so I hope you realize that. Just trying to generate some conversation.

And Cincy, I'm not calling you out because I respect you as a poster, so I hope you realize that. Just trying to generate some conversation.

No offense taken at all. Such conversations are good...the more the better. Our streets flow red, and it is so tragic. I struggle to try to understand it...

No offense taken at all. Such conversations are good...the more the better. Our streets flow red, and it is so tragic. I struggle to try to understand it...

Man, I just can't fathom the **** that goes on in larger cities. I come from a small city in Ontario (close to 60,000 people) and there hasn't been a murder here since 1997 I believe. We are certainly not without crime, but not the crazy killing of each other.

Does anyone beyond ESPN usually cover this stuff anyway? The typical NFL stuff (which obviously has a much larger audience than lacrosse) doesn't seem to make it anywhere beyond ESPN either.

Does anyone beyond ESPN usually cover this stuff anyway? The typical NFL stuff (which obviously has a much larger audience than lacrosse) doesn't seem to make it anywhere beyond ESPN either.

I think the lack of coverage is that it is a lacrosse player. If it was the starting QB for a top 25 team in college football there would def be more coverage.

I have heard more discussion on the culture of lacrosse players in general since this incident. There was a article on deadspin which painted lacrosse players in a very broad stroke. The authors argument was that your typical lacrosse player comes from a privelidged background and they attend all-boys private schools or upscale public schools that are lacrosse factories for the college level. The players have a "I am above the law" attitude. Are lacrosse players alittle more cocky than other athletes? Maybe but any athlete who is playing their sport at a high level is cocky. The star athlete always plays by different rules than the average athlete or person. Just the way things are.

See Duke Lacrosse case, covered by every national media outlet there was...

ABC covered it this morning on Good Morning America, but they are also owned by Disney, who owns ESPN.

See Duke Lacrosse case, covered by every national media outlet there was...

The Duke lacrosse case had an element of race in it. Poor black stripper vs the elitist white Dukies. The DA helped to fuel that fire though.

I never did hear any apologies from those same media outlets after they trashed the Duke players. I guess it was time to move onto the next stupid scandal.

I apologize if it was already posted but I didn't see it. But I find it strange that no one has mentioned this case. If it was an inner-city basketball player instead, do you think more people would care? Just curious.

I've seen it discussed on two different national news programs in the last 24 hours. It's a horrible story, but maybe there's not much to say because it's all pretty obvious. Despite all the usual "this was so out of character for him" bullsh--, this guy is obviously a complete scumbag whose arrogance and lack of character resulted in him acting out violently instead of licking his frail ego when she ended the relationship. Let's hope he's on the receiving end of some prison justice.

btw, it's stories like this that fuel the anti-sports crowd.

There's a lot there and a lot of times, it is a whole different feeling about life and death in the inner-city. Not to make excuses but growing up in Compton is an entirely different lifestyle than growing up in Orange County.

My main point is that a white kid with who seems to come from a good background, playing for a team that was ranked #1 in the country may have murdered his girlfriend, weeks before they graduated. Yet, it seems like he gets little notice. But if it was Pacman or Chris Henry, peopel would be talking about them as "thugs" and killing them.

Why is there the double standard? Maybe because it hits closer to home for the majority of people? And Cincy, I'm not calling you out because I respect you as a poster, so I hope you realize that. Just trying to generate some conversation.

I really don't agree with this topic at all. I think this case has been covered pretty thoroughly by all news outlets, sports and otherwise. I saw Brian Williams report on it the other night on the NBC Nightly News. Not the lead story, but about 7-8 minutes into the broadcast it was mentioned.

It's on CNN and the other cable news networks, and all over the internet. What do you mean "Why isn't it getting noticed?" Just being truthful, I have seen it everywhere. I was at the gym on a treadmill yesterday and the story was being reported on three TV's at once, ESPN, Fox News, and CBS.

I think that if it was a pro athlete, it might be a bigger story. If it was a more mainstream sport, it might be a bigger story. But I think you've got your double standards mixed up-- it's usually the other way around than what you're referring to. The media LOVES reporting the "pretty white girl" tragedy, whereas the black or Latino girl murdered doesn't get much play.

I've seen it discussed on two different national news programs in the last 24 hours. It's a horrible story, but maybe there's not much to say because it's all pretty obvious. Despite all the usual "this was so out of character for him" bullsh--, this guy is obviously a complete scumbag whose arrogance and lack of character resulted in him acting out violently instead of licking his frail ego when she ended the relationship. Let's hope he's on the receiving end of some prison justice.

That about sums it up. The media wants controversial stories where people will pick sides. That's not going to happen here.

btw, it's stories like this that fuel the anti-sports crowd.

Another great example of how most people are dumb. This kind of thing happens every day. I don't see any people becoming anti-teacher or anti-accountant when they're the people involved.

That about sums it up. The media wants controversial stories where people will pick sides. That's not going to happen here.

Another great example of how most people are dumb. This kind of thing happens every day. I don't see any people becoming anti-teacher or anti-accountant when they're the people involved.

This + 1,000 Just because he plays sports, that is what people will say brought out the brutality of all of this. Sports made his temper flare... :lol:

I certainly agree, but the Count nailed it. The theory goes that people can't separate on-field behavior from off-field, hence: sports--->aggression--->violence. I recall hearing that same b.s. during the bogus Duke case.

This + 1,000 Just because he plays sports, that is what people will say brought out the brutality of all of this. Sports made his temper flare... :lol:

OT, but you always put the most random +"insert number here" in nearly every thread. I have started looking for them now haha.

Lot of good thoughts here. I still do think the case has been hidden a bit. Virginia was the #1 team in the country this year and had a probable murderer on their roster. A case like this about a white kid playing lacrosse probably hits closer to home to the media than some inner city kid.

And for all the talk about all the thugs in the NFL and NBA, how many have willing killed someone?

I think the lack of coverage is that it is a lacrosse player. If it was the starting QB for a top 25 team in college football there would def be more coverage.

I have heard more discussion on the culture of lacrosse players in general since this incident. There was a article on deadspin which painted lacrosse players in a very broad stroke. The authors argument was that your typical lacrosse player comes from a privelidged background and they attend all-boys private schools or upscale public schools that are lacrosse factories for the college level. The players have a "I am above the law" attitude. Are lacrosse players alittle more cocky than other athletes? Maybe but any athlete who is playing their sport at a high level is cocky. The star athlete always plays by different rules than the average athlete or person. Just the way things are.

See, let me point out a problem with that argument, and I am pretty close to sport. My son plays for a school and league (now he is only 9)where the captain for both UVA nd UNC mens lacrosse came from the program. Yes, it is "upscale, private school", and yes, a ton of players from this program go onto D1 programs on full rides.

Are there entitled rich di%#s on the teams, absolutely!!

Are there disenfranchised di%#s on the inner city football program, absolutely!!

My point is there are a ton of great kids in both as well. As a famous author once said

"the rich are the most discriminated group in the country now. Everybody assumes they are A-Holes just cause they are rich. Well, i am have met a lot of rich A-Holes in my life. AND, i have met a lot of poor A_Holes in my life. Only real difference is the rich ones can buy their own drinks"

My point is this guy was a knucklehead when he was drunk by all accounts. I know I went to school;l with a bunch of folks who were knuckleheads when they drank as well, and we we were not exactly driving around in BMW's in my house..for gods sake I grew up in the love Canal.

To answer your questions, I think this case is getting MORE attention because the guy is white, rich, and at an elite school, especially on the heels of the Duke fiasco.

I thought you were complaining the usual complaint about why does this cute white girl get all the attention, while some black girl probably got killed and got no attention...........But, you're saying it's not getting attention?!? It was the on front page of espn.com, cnn, aol. etc. for days.......How can you say it's not getting attention???

You actually think some inner city basketball player would get more attention?? Absurd.

And for all the talk about all the thugs in the NFL and NBA, how many have willing killed someone?

You make it sound like this one incident is suddenly equal to an epidemic of murders in the college lacrosse world. I won't claim that one group is any better or worse than the other, but most of us can name at least one guy from both of those leagues who has been accused/convicted of murder.

This is the lead story on page one of aol.com right now. Huge picture of the girl when you click on aol..........How is it that you don't think this is being talked about? I'm sure there are way more people complaining right now that it's being talked about only because she was a cute white girl.

Now this story is back on the front page of espn.com.........Is anybody still arguing that this isn't being talked about?

Now the argument is that it's being talked about too much because she was white. It's really tough to make people happy these days. :thumbsup:

Now the argument is that it's being talked about too much because she was white. It's really tough to make people happy these days. :thumbsup:

That's what I thought CBiscuit's original argument was.

Man, you are really out to prove him wrong.

LOL - at least somebody is reading my posts!...........I don't understand why he hasn't replied on his own thread in days.........I get sick of everything no matter what being turned into a racial thing. (it's either too much or too little, etc.)........I don't know if he's the one who started the thread right after the Ben R thing came out, and said how it would be so different and get so much more negative publicity if he was black.........Well, now Big Ben is on the cover of SI in probably the most scathing article I've seen about an athlete ever in that magazine. Can't get much more negative than that.

LOL - at least somebody is reading my posts!...........I don't understand why he hasn't replied on his own thread in days.........I get sick of everything no matter what being turned into a racial thing. (it's either too much or too little, etc.)........I don't know if he's the one who started the thread right after the Ben R thing came out, and said how it would be so different and get so much more negative publicity if he was black.........Well, now Big Ben is on the cover of SI in probably the most scathing article I've seen about an athlete ever in a magazine. Can't get much more negative than that.

No time. Digging up more dirt on the racist media. A big picture guy, not to be bothered with irritating details.

LOL - at least somebody is reading my posts!...........I don't understand why he hasn't replied on his own thread in days.........I get sick of everything no matter what being turned into a racial thing. (it's either too much or too little, etc.)........I don't know if he's the one who started the thread right after the Ben R thing came out, and said how it would be so different and get so much more negative publicity if he was black.........Well, now Big Ben is on the cover of SI in probably the most scathing article I've seen about an athlete ever in that magazine. Can't get much more negative than that.

I forgot about it actually. There was good discussion here earlier and I was satisfied. It still does seem buried a bit. I think a guy who palyed on the #1 college lacrosse team i nthe nation murdering a girl a lot bigger than Big Ben possibly raping a drunk 20 year old who was "DTF" but whatever. And yes I believe if it was the black point guard at Virginia who murdered her, it would be a bigger story.

I forgot about it actually. There was good discussion here earlier and I was satisfied. It still does seem buried a bit. I think a guy who palyed on the #1 college lacrosse team i nthe nation murdering a girl a lot bigger than Big Ben possibly raping a drunk 20 year old who was "DTF" but whatever. And yes I believe if it was the black point guard at Virginia who murdered her, it would be a bigger story.

Lacrosse is such a small time sport, though. Other than a few regions - CNY and LI in NYS, and the Mid-Atlantic, as far I know, nobody really pays attention to that. It would be the same as some water polo thing at Cal or something.

If it was a point guard at UVA who did this, it would get more publicity, whether the guard was black or white.........I personally think this is getting a ton of publicity (obviously). But, you think it would get more if the lacrosse player was black?

BTW, this guy's family is pretty prominent in the DC area. Tony Kornheiser knows his father and a bunch of the other family members. They belong to his country club.......But, he still talked about it quite a bit this week.

It's not a bigger story because lacrosse is a niche sport, not become of the race of the perp and victim. But keep bowing and scraping to your PC master that insist on trying to create racial issues where they don't exist.

I have zero respect for anyone who lives in a "state" that elected Sarah Palin to be governor. :thumbsup:

Most people have zero respect for anyone that would make a statement as stupid as that one.

It's not a bigger story because lacrosse is a niche sport, not become of the race of the perp and victim. But keep bowing and scraping to your PC master that insist on trying to create racial issues where they don't exist.

Most people have zero respect for anyone that would make a statement as stupid as that one.

Thanks for coming in to be a douche in a conversation that was civil. You add a lot here tough guy.