Nix: Blockers Get Better With Spiller

symbiant

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true to a degree.

From what I have seen of Spiller which consist of 3 games he played his Sr year.

The impressive part of his game seems to be his ability to read the gaps and blocks.

He always seem to make the right read. I didn't know he had sub 4.4 speed at the time.

When you have speed your blockers don't have to hold the block as long so I agree with Nix.

This is also true with the QB. I remember when we started Rob Johnson everyone screamed the O line sucked.

When Rob got hurt and Flutie came in suddenly the O line was no longer an issue.

Our O line will seem much better when we get quality decisive quarterbacking.

Pass blocking gets better when Edwards..err a QB makes better decisions. 3 step drop you throw the ball, not hold it so you get sacked.

True, also the QB has to be able to read the defense quickly enough and make the right decision on who to throw the ball to. Edwards is still looking for Adrian Wilson every time he takes a snap.

That is true to a degree.

From what I have seen of Spiller which consist of 3 games he played his Sr year.

The impressive part of his game seems to be his ability to read the gaps and blocks.

He always seem to make the right read. I didn't know he had sub 4.4 speed at the time.

When you have speed your blockers don't have to hold the block as long so I agree with Nix.

This is also true with the QB. I remember when we started Rob Johnson everyone screamed the O line sucked.

When Rob got hurt and Flutie came in suddenly the O line was no longer an issue.

Our O line will seem much better when we get quality decisive quarterbacking.

I don't think that having a fast 40 time is really important to lineman holding blocks. The key is the ability to read the block, make a decision and hit the hole. You can be the fastest guy in the league, but if you juke back and forth in the backfield too much, you'll never get to utilize your speed. Fast 40 times are good for breaking away from the safety on a TD run, or getting around the corner.

Pass blocking gets better when Edwards..err a QB makes better decisions. 3 step drop you throw the ball, not hold it so you get sacked.

Easy to say when a 255# OLB or 280# DE aren't running full bore at you. Also helps if the WR are allowed to release off the LOS without a CB pressing them. None of BUF's receivers are outstanding at beating that sort of coverage.

That said, Edwards was clearly lost last season. The OL is as bad this year as it was last season.

The OL is as bad this year as it was last season.

This is a very frustrating line of thought that so many fans get caught up in.

Each player's performance rises, falls, or plateaus based upon their own unique circumstances. How can you say a line with 2 rookies, a young LT, a new coaching staff and philosophy will be just as bad as it was under different circumstances? It doesn't make any sense.

Each player's performance rises, falls, or plateaus based upon their own unique circumstances. How can you say a line with 2 rookies, a young LT, a new coaching staff and philosophy will be just as bad as it was under different circumstances? It doesn't make any sense.

^^ This! +100

No one wants your fancy words and logic SDS. It complicates things too much for people - they can't break it down into easily digestible pieces of thought that fit nicely in their short attention spans. Much easier to take any critical thought out of the process. It's like they're talking about football machines, not people.

How dare you speak common sense on this board! :thumbsup:

Line was bad last year, in large part, because injuries prevented continuity. You have to pick up a guy off the street on Monday and start him the next Sunday odds are breakdowns will happen everywhere.

First couple games against N.E. and TB the line did okay. Yeah, even Bell.

A lot of factors have to come together. If the #1 read on a play is open, then it is easy to get rid of the ball. If you have to go through your progressions a second time, because nobody is open, then there is a pretty good chance you will get hit-whether it is a sack or not.

The threat of Spiller taking the ball the distance hopefully will keep defenses honest. Not only does he have the speed to get to the corner, he also has a good burst to get through the hole and get 4-5 yards. I also think he is much better at picking up the blitz than Lynch and Jackson.

Guest dog14787

In my opinion offensive philosophy/proper game planning/play calling can help a young O-line.

The game plan Turk Shonert designed for the Patriots prior to his departure I have to give him credit. I think Shonert did a wonderful job with his first game plan of the season and in hindsight now I have to wonder If maybe DJ had left Shonert alone and allowed him to do his job, everything might have turned out differently.

Also frustrating is the pervasive notion that players improve automatically each year. Both Bell and Wood are coming off of significant injuries. There is no guarantee they'll be ready for the season, let alone that they will somehow have improved. Butler retired. The Bills jetisoned their backup guards, so they have no depth whatsoever. They're installing a brand new offense, yet again. They lost one of the most respected line coaches in the league, and his replacement is a big questionmark. I don't see any reason to think that the line will be improved.

Like I stated last off season in 09 with dickhead jauron as HC, its a win win situation for Bills fans.

If what the new HC states is true and the Bills don't need superior O line play to win, then fine the Bills are in the playoffs and everyone is happy!

Should the Bills go 1-15 and get next years #1 overall draft pick because the line can't block anyone again this year, Gailey gets fired and the Bills hire Marty and everyone is happy!

That freaking stupid Bill Parcells down in Miami wasting a #1 overall pick on OLT Jake Long when all he really needed was a speedy RB...go figure. :D

Cam Cameron got it all wrong the year before by drafting a speedy WR in Ted Ginn Jr, wow all he really needed to do was draft a speedy RB... simple, but huge mistake :thumbsup:

The OL is as bad this year as it was last season.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, BillsVet. Statements like the one above hurt your credibility because you don't mention:

The starting left tackle was cut less than one week before the season opener.

Four linemen who started during the season finished on injured reserve.

Due to injuries there were nine different starting line combinations during the season.

Due to injuries, eleven different linemen started games for the Bills.

Center Geoff Hangartner was the only lineman to play every game at the same position.

The Bills 2009 Week One offensive line had only 91 combined career starts. That number was the lowest in the NFL with the next most inexperienced team having 66 more starts.

Despite the injuries and inexperience and lack of a passing attack, the Bills still managed to rush for 1867 yards, which was 16th best in the league and averaged 4.4 yards a carry for 8th best.

The O-line only allowed a toal of of 37 rushes for negative yards which was 12th lowest in 2009.

The Bills had a questionable offensive scheme, and a SEVERE rash of injuries, and very inexperienced linemen who were put in a position to fail.

You ignore these facts when you state that the O-line will be as bad as last year.

That freaking stupid Bill Parcells down in Miami wasting a #1 overall pick on OLT Jake Long when all he really needed was a speedy RB...go figure. :D

Cam Cameron got it all wrong the year before by drafting a speedy WR in Ted Ginn Jr, wow all he really needed to do was draft a RB... simple, but huge mistake :thumbsup:

Wasn't Miami starting Jamie Nails in one of their tackle spots?

Miami already had Brown and Williams so they were solid at RB. The Bill have Jackson and Thuglife so we really only 1 RB and a question mark..

The Ginn choice was indefensibe. That was an idiotic pick.

Getting sacked wasn't Edwards' problem. Throwing too quickly to the checkdown guy when recievers were open downfield was the problem.

I'd agree about Spiller. But I'd agree with what Gailey said he makes the OL a little bit better.

Easy to say when a 255# OLB or 280# DE aren't running full bore at you. Also helps if the WR are allowed to release off the LOS without a CB pressing them. None of BUF's receivers are outstanding at beating that sort of coverage.

That said, Edwards was clearly lost last season. The OL is as bad this year as it was last season.

All QB's face this and don't fold like the kitty edwards. I watched Kelly get hit, flip over backwards and get up and give the 'up yours' to the New Orleans croud. I want a stud QB, not a sissy afraid of being hit.

Line was bad last year, in large part, because injuries prevented continuity.

First couple games against N.E. and TB the line did okay. Yeah, even Bell.

But this line of thinking is just the opposite. Unreasonable optimism.

The Bills looked pretty good against the Pats* for about the first three quarters. That's what often happens, because Belichick's genius is breaking down film and figuring out how to beat an offense, and he simply had no film and no idea what the offense would do.

After the first three quarters, he'd seen enough that in the fourth quarter, the Bills offense hit a stone wall.

As for Tampa Bay, is it that surprising that even the Bills could look decent against a 3 - 13 team that was 27th in defense and 32nd, dead last, in defense against the run? That's not a case of the Bills doing well. It's a case of Tampa being genuinely horrific.