Are we going to run a spread?

Mickey

I have been trying to keep up with the team but work has been ridiculous. I am sure some of you guys have looked into this and can give me the facts. It seems to me like there is a good chance we are going to run one of the many variations there are of the spread offense. I appeal to the smart mob hereabouts, what if any credible sources have indicated that Chan is going with a spread here in Buffalo?

CJ is an ideal back for a spread as he can motion up to the line in the slot or as a WR on the edge. We could probably catch the defense in a mismatch not unlike we used to do with Thurman back in the stone age. That WR from UConn played in a spread and so did Levi. Gailey has run it and I think he did it with Thigpen in KC.

I don't know. Seems to me like there is at least a chance we are going to run a spread. I don't think our OL are all that massive that they wouldn't be able to handle it. Bell and Levitre especially are pretty agile.

For my contribution, here are some links on the spread offense, use of RB in the spread, etc.:

Use of RB as a threat in the Spread Off.

Pass Protection in the Spread

Our offense isn't working because we don't have the personnel. The same personnel in a different offense isn't going to give them more talent. I just don't see us having enough quality receivers, an effective offensive line (in any formation) or a quarterback who is going to make much of a difference. Better the devil we have and go and get qualified offensive linemen, and possibly even a quarterback. Spread offense, wildcat or wishbone isn't going to change the fact that we got no talent there.

Our offense isn't working because we don't have the personnel. The same personnel in a different offense isn't going to give them more talent. I just don't see us having enough quality receivers, an effective offensive line (in any formation) or a quarterback who is going to make much of a difference. Better the devil we have and go and get qualified offensive linemen, and possibly even a quarterback. Spread offense, wildcat or wishbone isn't going to change the fact that we got no talent there.

Couldn't disagree with you more. The same personnel in a different offense will not give them more talent but certainly can yield a very different product. A different scheme can definitely change results and in some instances hide the fact that we don't have as much talent as you'd prefer. That's why some coaches are better than others.

Our team right now is built to run. Chan said we will be utilizing a zone-blocking scheme, a-la denver when Shanahan was there. Not sure what else we will be using in our offense, but that's as far as we know.

I think that zone blocking is the scheme that is used in a spread offense:

A coach answers a question from a QB on the zone blocking schemes used in spread offenses

Couldn't disagree with you more. The same personnel in a different offense will not give them more talent but certainly can yield a very different product. A different scheme can definitely change results and in some instances hide the fact that we don't have as much talent as you'd prefer. That's why some coaches are better than others.

Nice post Kenny. It's all about getting the most out of your talent and putting them in a position to be successful.

A good coach uses his personnel in a system they can succeed in. I think he knows what he's doing. Why stay with something that doesn't work if you know it doesn't work?

I just looked for something that might confirm that the Bills are going to a spread but I couldn't find anything. I do seem to remember hearing it from a reliable source I just don't know where.

A good coach uses his personnel in a system they can succeed in. I think he knows what he's doing. Why stay with something that doesn't work if you know it doesn't work?

I just looked for something that might confirm that the Bills are going to a spread but I couldn't find anything. I do seem to remember hearing it from a reliable source I just don't know where.

Ask NEVERGIVEUP.

It would be in the Bills best interest if we didn't reveal our offensive strategy until game 1. Much like the wildcat, it gives defenses less time to adjust to what we're doing. And Gailey flat out said he wasn't going to show everything in preseason anyway.

i noticed on the main page they had an article on one of the o-line guys signed after the draft outta gt. he said that he thinks he has an advantage knowing gailys system coming into camp. not sure if he realy knows the offense yet but i really hope they r not installing the georgia tech offense. or maybe he is just talking about thier blocking schemes. what type of line play did they have running there?

I wouldn't be surprised to see many variations of a spread offense, particularly a form of "Pistol" offense. The pistol is something that Chan Gailey has had some success with. It is a formation somewhat like a shotgun formation except the QB is only about half as many feet behind center and the running back lines up right beside him. The theory is that, the QB and the RB are too close to the line of scrimmage for defensive linemen to see over the offensive line and see which way the RB is going to run.

Basically, the handoff is hidden and can be very effective on running plays. Often the running back is all ready hitting the hole before a defensive lineman realizes where the RB is headed. It can be a very fast transaction too because the RB is all ready right beside the QB. The QB also has the option to pass, but the real advantage of the pistol offense is in the run game.

As soon as we got Spiller, I knew this would be something that would be worked into the game plan. A lot of people are boohooing over not getting a new QB or LT. What a lot of people don't realize is how pitiful the play calling really was last year. Gailey is miles ahead of Jauron in this regard. All of us have seen flashes of talent from the players on this offense, but it seems to me that we have not been putting the ball into the hands of our play-makers enough. Your going to see that change. I have been watching defenses attack our offense, repeatedly using the same defensive strategy because our offense has not been able to capitalize. Chan Gailey actually knows how to make defenses pay when they get over confident like that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see many variations of a spread offense, particularly a form of "Pistol" offense. The pistol is something that Chan Gailey has had some success with. It is a formation somewhat like a shotgun formation except the QB is only about half as many feet behind center and the running back lines up right beside him. The theory is that, the QB and the RB are too close to the line of scrimmage for defensive linemen to see over the offensive line and see which way the RB is going to run.

Basically, the handoff is hidden and can be very effective on running plays. Often the running back is all ready hitting the hole before a defensive lineman realizes where the RB is headed. It can be a very fast transaction too because the RB is all ready right beside the QB. The QB also has the option to pass, but the real advantage of the pistol offense is in the run game.

As soon as we got Spiller, I knew this would be something that would be worked into the game plan. A lot of people are boohooing over not getting a new QB or LT. What a lot of people don't realize is how pitiful the play calling really was last year. Gailey is miles ahead of Jauron in this regard. All of us have seen flashes of talent from the players on this offense, but it seems to me that we have not been putting the ball into the hands of our play-makers enough. Your going to see that change. I have been watching defenses attack our offense, repeatedly using the same defensive strategy because our offense has not been able to capitalize. Chan Gailey actually knows how to make defenses pay when they get over confident like that.

I agree with the gist of your post. But I feel I must correct the notion Jauron called the offense. He did not.

I have been trying to keep up with the team but work has been ridiculous. I am sure some of you guys have looked into this and can give me the facts. It seems to me like there is a good chance we are going to run one of the many variations there are of the spread offense. I appeal to the smart mob hereabouts, what if any credible sources have indicated that Chan is going with a spread here in Buffalo?

CJ is an ideal back for a spread as he can motion up to the line in the slot or as a WR on the edge. We could probably catch the defense in a mismatch not unlike we used to do with Thurman back in the stone age. That WR from UConn played in a spread and so did Levi. Gailey has run it and I think he did it with Thigpen in KC.

I don't know. Seems to me like there is at least a chance we are going to run a spread. I don't think our OL are all that massive that they wouldn't be able to handle it. Bell and Levitre especially are pretty agile.

For my contribution, here are some links on the spread offense, use of RB in the spread, etc.:

Use of RB as a threat in the Spread Off.

Pass Protection in the Spread

I don't see us running a spread offense with the QB and O-Line we have..

I agree with the gist of your post. But I feel I must correct the notion Jauron called the offense. He did not.

While he may not of actually called it, he did limit what he allowed Schonert (first) and AVP (second) to do in it.

Such as Jauron's rule that no motion would be used in his offense. And if there was one, I'm wiling to bet they're more.

Absolutely.

And like Buddy said, AVP is great guy, but he had never been a QB coach, never been a coordinator. But a week or so before the 2009 season starts, he is thrust into both roles. Thanks a lot, Dick!

I believe this coaching staff will be able to much more with the previous talent. Some of the rookies will add to the offense also.

Chan has a plan - and a clue!

I don't see us running a spread offense with the QB and O-Line we have..

The spread/pistol will cover some of this up with quicker reads and throws, more misdirection and the QB seeing the field. Plus some of our qb's and linemen came from spread style offenses.

Also, the top rushing team in the NCAA runs a pistol offense so it is not all pass.

That's kind of like the commercial where the guy asks the little girl if she'd like to ride on the bicycle. She says, "Sure!" and hops on and starts to ride. He stops her immediately and says that she has to ride within the confines of the box painted on the floor, a box that is only slightly longer than the small bicycle.

Blaming Van Pelt for last year's offense is like blaming the little girl for not being able to do flips and other stunts on her new shiny bicycle and ignoring that Jauron is the one that painted the box on the floor and set the ground rules. Was the inexperienced Van Pelt suckered like the little girl? Yes. Yes, he was.

Okay, but will trent edwards or our offensive line or our one wide receiver (Evans) going to be successful in a spread? I don't think so. We needed two tackles and to keep Incognito. We needed to trade for McNabb or another good qb. We needed to pick up Kellye Washington in free agency. You take a pile of crap and put it in a square shape, its still crap. Make it into a pyramid, its still crap. You gotta get a few personnel into areas of weakness and we'll be fine. If we were going to the spread we actually should have drafted a top rated spread qb (don't EVEN give me Levi Brown) from the college ranks.

I agree with some of what you say, but not completely. Let me explain what I mean: I don't know if it was Parcells or Jimmy Johnson or whatever coach who said it...but it goes something like this.. " I can beat you with my players, and I could beat you with your players." I always believed that meant that a lot of winning comes down to coaching, strategy,

offensive and defensive philosophy etc....A good example of this was when Bledsoe was our QB....don't remember what year it was? But that doesn't matter too much...what I remember is that the Bills had some talent issues on the Offensive

Line...The Bills gave up 57 sacks that year!!! 9 or 10 more than last year!! Yet, but because of astute playcalling, execution, coaching, and philosophy the Bills had the 11th ranked Offense in the entire NFL !!! Bledsoe had well over 4,000

yards passing, and the Bills had about 1500 yards rushing I believe.

The point is that it does make a difference on "how you use your personnel to their strengths", and I believe Buddy Nix has

already stated that point...which makes sense. You can disguise plays, and confuse a defese, you can use your running backs in ways that make it difficult on a defense. The one thing that really distinguishes ourselves from that 90's team besides lacking a proven QB is that we really have a very inexperienced corps of wide receivers. If we were going to initiate the spread offense then the Bills better take a serious look at bringing T.O. back and hope that at least one of the Rookies stick like fly paper. Maybe, Roscoe Parrish will finally be utilized in that type of offense as well.

Anyways, I am far from believing that the Bills are a playoff caliber team...and quite honestly I have been predicting 5-11

as a early prediction based on their personell moves (and lack of moves) in free agency and the draft. Whatever they do

it should be a more interesting year than last year was for the Bills as last year was the first year I ever drifted off in my recliner during a football game.

Ready! Let's go Bills on 3 !!! Lets go bills Lets go bills Lets go bills bababababa billz! No, No...not to Toronto!!! Let's stay

Billzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !

Of course. I know he fired the OC at the start of the season and who ended up calling the plays. Maybe I should have said the Jauron regime?

Kinda nit-picky though.

Our team right now is built to run. Chan said we will be utilizing a zone-blocking scheme, a-la denver when Shanahan was there. Not sure what else we will be using in our offense, but that's as far as we know.

we are a run and checkdown offense. it is going to be amazing.

Not to say we have tons of talent but there are some good players, such as:

Evans and Spiller could be game breakers in the right situation. Freddy Jackson is a good running and receiving thereat. We have some hope at TE with Nelson and Shouman was starting to look good. Levitre, Hangartner and Wood will improve in the middle of the OL and are promising.

The not so good:

WRs Johnson and Hardy are not proven in the least. Bell is not proven at LT. Green is average at best, at RT.

QB is the wildcard. Will Gailey be able to get Trent to play? If not, can Brohm be a starter? If not, then we have another year of Fitz trying his best while being barely average.