I guess the Bills are not as High on Evans

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Bill's fans were happy when the Bills resigned Evans. Not only did that mean they valued Evans, but that the Bills appeared to be committed to using him in the passing game. This thought was further reinforced with the signing of TO - which was made because "All we need is another WR opposite Evans to take the heat off of him (and our passing game will be good to go)".

What happened next was the Bills thought they could line up on offense without an offensive line.

The idea that you don't need a LT to protect your QB's blind-spot has still not been addressed - so it doesn't matter if you have Lee Evans or TO or Brandon Marshall - when your QB is not protected.

Besides Kirk Chambers, Geoff Hangartner, newcomer Andy Levitre and newly signed undrafted Cornell Green (now with his 8th different team in about as many years), only Eric Wood (10 starts), Demetrius Bell (8 starts) and Jamon Meredith (4 starts) have seen any NFL starting action. The remaining lineman (Nick Hennessey, Andre Ramsey, Jason Watkins & Christian Gaddis and rookies obviously) have not started any NFL games.

What makes sense it that there will be no QB controversy this year (much less a risk getting the ball more than 10 yards down the field) - as the Bills will need all 4 QBs after each one gets beat up behind a bunch of newb linemen.

Either Jim Overdorf (who still hasn't been fired) couldn't negotiate two contracts at once or Ralph/Littman wouldn't pay both Peters and Evans. I'd say the latter, and then ask when was the last time this team handed out a large contract besides Evans in 2008? It was Schobel during Marv's failed tenure.

Besides, OT's are overrated anyway. We can find those guys in the 5th round and take more RB's, WR's, CB's, and S's in the top rounds. That's worked well this decade, and we'll keep trying. :lol::w00t:

When did WR's get to call their own plays? I guess I missed that announcement. Do you really think Evans lines up and say I'm not running over the middle? Maybe you should blame the high school level OC's this team has had for years.

Did I say that Lee refuses to go Over the middle?

All I said was that I've been complaining about the fact that he hasn't been going across the middle.

Check It again

Don't try to put words in my mouth that I didnt say buddy, thanks

Did I say that Lee refuses to go Over the middle?

All I said was that I've been complaining about the fact that he hasn't been going across the middle.

Check It again

Don't try to put words in my mouth that I didnt say buddy, thanks

And all I said is he doesn't call the plays so how can you criticize him for the routes he runs????

Either Jim Overdorf (who still hasn't been fired) couldn't negotiate two contracts at once or Ralph/Littman wouldn't pay both Peters and Evans. I'd say the latter, and then ask when was the last time this team handed out a large contract besides Evans in 2008? It was Schobel during Marv's failed tenure.

Besides, OT's are overrated anyway. We can find those guys in the 5th round and take more RB's, WR's, CB's, and S's in the top rounds. That's worked well this decade, and we'll keep trying. :lol::w00t:

Be that as it may, you still need good receivers to win in the NFL. Just ask the Ravens. As for Evans, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- he's a better player than Reggie Wayne. They have similar builds and similar games, but Evans is clearly faster and more of a deep threat. If he was on the Colts and Wayne was on the Bills, I guarantee you that all the chowderheads here would be lamenting the fact that the Bills are stuck with a 1B receiver (Wayne) while Indy gets all the great ones. I feel quite confident that Evans would have had a borderline HOF career if he had been drafted by Indy.

And all I said is he doesn't call the plays so how can you criticize him for the routes he runs????

it's more of an indictment on the OC's, but he's never run across the middle, he's supposed to be a playmaker, I suppose I just figured that maybe he would be a little more vocal about using him in difft ways.

Hopefully this isnt an issue this year

Watch the first video

The second play

Terrible hands. :lol:

FWIW its all about consistancy. Evans has proven that he is not worth a top 5 WR contract based on the numbers he puts up. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then. Hell, if I look hard enough I can find a 5 minute video of Trent Checkwards throwing 50 yard bombs like its going out of style. But we all know thats not the case. Top WR contracts should be given out to playmakers. Not guys that dont put up top numbers based on their positions. If you say its because of his team, fine. Ill accept that excuse, but then why the hell are we paying him if the rest of the team still sucks? Last I checked we were still finishing with a 7-9 or worse record since Little Lee has been on the team. He may not be hurting us and our playoff chances, but he sure aint helping based on the past records.

That was an impressive trait for us as we looked for big, fast receivers. [General Manager] Buddy [Nix] and I both believe in having [on] the outside the biggest guys you can get out there to play that position."

This Statement by Gailey pretty much says Evans is not their guy! Maybe he will be playing the slot

Saw that too and was wondering the same thing. My thought was that this probably stems from Gailey's much heard montra: "You don't needs stars to win in the NFL." Not to say Lee is or isn't a star. It's more about how I think Gailey looks at filling positions on the team.

If he is true to saying that he doesn't need star players, then instead you need effective players. You need guys to fill roles and then make sure the roles come together to get some semblance of an attack together. Having tall, physical WRs on the outside means that those guys are bigger targets to throw to and should have a wider range to catch passes than a smalelr guy. Also the jump ball factor. Having those guys gives the QB an option on every pass because with competent play-calling and decent technique on the part of the outside WRs, they should always be open for an under 10 yard route, because of the hopeful height advantage over most corners. It makes sense in that it seemingly creates mismatches - the smaller CBs have to defend bigger WRs, while the larger LBs/safeties have to cover our smaller guys in the slot.

I don't think this means the end of Lee however for two reasons: First of all I think Gailey/Nix/etc are taking a very practical approach to the roster. They are going to play the best players and taylor the schemes to fit what the players can do. Because of this, I think he'll still be the starter. I'm also pretty sure that we've seen the end of no pre-snap motion and Lee lining up exclusively on the outside. I could see them playing a lot of 2 WR sets, with both WRs on one side (Lee in the slot) and possibly a TE (Nelson) or RB (Spiller) on the other side of the formation on the outside.

Guest dog14787

Speaking of high, size matters, it matters in the durability and strength departments, the vertical jumping capabilities and from a visual standpoint on the QB perspective size matters.

I noticed a difference in philosophy in reference to the size of the athletes Nix/Gailey drafted this season and that alone has been very encouraging to see in the wake of being decimated year after year with injury here in Buffalo. Even our new QB, Levi Brown at 6' 4" is a big fella and a good an indication of Nix's mind set when it comes to size.

That was an impressive trait for us as we looked for big, fast receivers. [General Manager] Buddy [Nix] and I both believe in having [on] the outside the biggest guys you can get out there to play that position."

This Statement by Gailey pretty much says Evans is not their guy! Maybe he will be playing the slot

I may be dumb, but i have read this like 30 times. Can someone please explain to me on how this quote states Evans is not liked by the coaches, or is not "their guy"...? :P

Infer - to come to a conclusion or form an opinion about something on the basis of evidence or reasoning

again I ask...

Well, Lee Evans is 5'10" and Nix and Gailey said they like big guys -- which Evans is not -- so there's your evidence chain.