What else is new?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

another good summary.

Buffalo: This is why Buffalo picks in the top 12 every year. Torrell Troup isn't ready to start. Alex Carrington is a bit of a project. They drafted a situational running back when they don't have much of an offensive line or nose tackle. How many games is Buffalo going to win with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards? This draft was an absolute joke and this team isn't going anywhere. I encourage all Buffalo fans to riot at Bills headquarters tomorrow. This was a pathetic performance and we will see over the next two years why it was such a terrible draft. Spiller's occasional playmaking ability saves this from an "F" grade.

Grade: D-

http://walterfootball.com/mattblog100424_grades.php

----

i guess the idea is to punt on 2010, go after jake locker with the first pick in 2011, then go LT at the top of rd 2.

Just for some background, walterfootball has been singing the praises of Jimmy Clausen all off-season and saying he should be the #1 pick over Sam Bradford. Looks like he was a tiny bit off.

while I do agree with most of what you said...what moves did the Jets make that could "blow up their locker room"....they brought in Boldin who has been a locker room LEADER in arizona...the only issue he had there was he wanted to be paid like a number 1 reciever isntead of a number 3...understandable....they brought in another character guy in LT...had an odd draft....but I dont see where their lockerroom blows up...they have leaders all over that locker room, including a strong HC personality to keep people real....

Just for some background, walterfootball has been singing the praises of Jimmy Clausen all off-season and saying he should be the #1 pick over Sam Bradford. Looks like he was a tiny bit off.

Exactly. If we had taken Clausen they would have given us an A grade. I read a lot of their Clausen pre-draft stuff and they had an obvious man-crush on him.

Quite an indictment of their scouting prowess.

Draft grades are meaningless the day after the draft. Even last year's is looking better. All these 3-4, run stuffing DL guys that were brought in the draft and through FA should help Maybin see at least some production and maybe more.

Now if you turn the tables and say draft grades are really a measure of how a draft analysist did in evaluating the players and in evaluating what teams will do in selecting them, then maybe you have something.

I think Sully did a good job of painting himself into a corner by opining that the best thing the Bills can do is tank next season intentionally. If they suck, intentionally or not, he can't complain without being hypocritical nor can he give them kudos for a job well done if they have a successful season.

GO BILLS!!!

Quite an indictment of their scouting prowess.

Draft grades are meaningless the day after the draft. Even last year's is looking better. All these 3-4, run stuffing DL guys that were brought in the draft and through FA should help Maybin see at least some production and maybe more.

Now if you turn the tables and say draft grades are really a measure of how a draft analysist did in evaluating the players and in evaluating what teams will do in selecting them, then maybe you have something.

The day after draft grades, however much fun it is to read them, is really a ridiculous practice that has nothing to do with the fact it takes 2-3-4 years to know how to grade. It would seem extremely easy to predict what their grade will be before you look at it. If a guy they rated high was taken high, good job. If a guy they rated low was taken high, bad job. If they didnt take a player they rated high at a "need" position (even though they don't follow the team that much and really don't know the true needs, REALLY bad job.

Umm, Troup was a 4-3 DT who is big enough to play nose. What are you talking about? And Cam Thomas takes way too many plays off, which is why he fell to the 5th round.

Yeah why would anyone even say anything to the contrary........It is pretty much speculated by everyone other then whoever wrote this piece that Troup is a natural nose......

You dont HAVE to be a overweight fat slop to be a pure nose tackle......a couple of things here

- People are looking at Cody and thinking Ted Washington....folks Ted Washington could MOVE for a big man which was what made him so special....sam with fat Pat Williams

- I fully beleive the bills were concerned that Cody would not be able to manage his weight and might eat himself out of the league......ESPECIALLY when he got a big fat first contract

- Go back and take a look at the piece on what Troupe has been through in his life.....this is a guy who has ALREADY stared into the face of adversity and came through the other side......THAT is the kind of guy (along with his talent) that I want in the middle of that mess on Sundays......he is Nasty....he plays with a mean streak.....in a lot of ways he is Kyle Williams just bigger...I can live with that.

I love these two parts of Sully's article;

No one plans to lose. But Nix has to know they're not ready to contend. He was direct when asked if this was the draft of a franchise that didn't feel the need to win big right away.

"I think so," Nix said. "Our philosophy is to build through the draft, and I've said that from day one. We're trying to build a good foundation of solid kids and good, solid players. I'm not trying to make a splash and say we're one player away from winning the Super Bowl, or what some of these teams think."

But a GM is supposed to have a master plan, and it's still unclear what Nix has in mind. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is the Bills, after all. For now, Modrak is still the chief scout and Edwards is the still the quarterback.

That's the one point being left out by a lot of people. People wanted a QB earlier, but won't say who they would have taken. Every QB in this years draft, besides Bradford, was either considered a huge reach or got passed by multiple times by QB needy teams. I'm really believing that the QB crop was worse than some of us thought.

I mean, think logically, does anyone think that if Seattle, Cleveland, or Oakland believed in any of these qb's that they wouldn't have taken them in the second round? These GM's know what a qb means to the team, they passed on these guys for a reason

What he said. :unsure:

A lot of people are critcizing Nix's draft strategy and justifiably so. With a ton of holes on this team, but 3 that really stand out (QB, LT, NT), he really didn't fill any of them. He drafted Wang from VA Tech, who is a former tight end and nowhere close to be ready, if ever, to start in the NFL. He ignored the QB position. He drafted a DE to try to convert him to NT. The majority of personnel who study this type of stuff, feel that the LT was the most important position on this team to address, and he passed over 4 or 5 possible franchise left tackles. With draft strategies like this, there is little doubt this organization is still declining and not improving, so if he is so inclined to draft a QB next year, he will be able too. Who knows, he might take another running back in the first round next year, so we can have half of a roster featuring 1,000 yard backs, and no line to block or QB to throw the ball. There is no doubt that Spiller can be a game changer, but we needed improvement more at every other position on the team than RB.

Okung is the only franchise OT in the draft IMO. The others all have questions that make them somewhat risky. I'd much rather they fill another glaring need, NT, with a better player than reach for a LT just because a lot of people say they have to.

looking around that guys Draft analysis, I think he posted it from his Mom's basement.

There are no basements in the apartment over the comic book store.

Yeah "Franchise QB" so the Bills would have creamed if they would have taken Tebow anywhere in the 1st Round (just like Denver is). Clausen wasn't picked until pick #48. and McCoy until #85.

So where was the Franchise QB again?

He was the #1 pick.

The disapproval of Jerry Sullivan is well documented on this board. I have generally supported his point-of-view because over the past ten years, he has been proven correct more often than not.

This is a fallacy. He has not been proven correct. They did poorly, but if you consistently pick heads every single time and the coin comes up heads..well, his answer lined up with the result, but that doesn't make him insightful.

another good stupid summary.

Fixed.

That site is hands down the worst source of player personnel analysis out there. Take a look at their last pre-draft mock and tell me those jamokes don't just grab ideas from other existing sources and re-label them as their own.

As usual Sully is WRONG. Always has been, always will be. How the POS has a job is beyond me. Maybe the pessimists on this board keep him in a job?

The fact that he is pretty much always right (not hard when analyzing the Bills- he may be negative, but the Bills have yet to do anything to disprove his disapproval), even if he doesn't always say what the Bills ditto-heads want to hear, may have something to do with him holdnig down a job... you think Sullivan is an ass, because he slams the draft... but you have no idea if this draft will be a good one, any more than he has an idea that it will be a bust.

Gee, I"m really floored that Jerry didn't like the draft.

What a discombobulated piece of literary garbage.

Tries to make some kind of point in his last sentence, but

miserably rambles paragraph after paragraph. SOS, different

day.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/25/1030...ng-project.html

The disapproval of Jerry Sullivan is well documented on this board. I have generally supported his point-of-view because over the past ten years, he has been proven correct more often than not. This time I believe Jerry's negativity is unjustified. His main complaint is that we didn't draft a franchise QB. Well Jerry, outside of Sam Bradford who was drafted, um let me see, oh yeah, #1 overall, the consensus opinion was that all of the other prospects were surrounded with question marks.

Unfortunately we are a team with several holes to fill. Way too many to address in one draft. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that Troup was the right choice over Cody, but other than that, I think it was an excellent draft considering our needs.

Jerry complains about not picking a top qb prospect... while not committing to who or when his selection would have been. Way to leave your second-guessing options open Jerry!

You've got to love this, It's the end of April and Jerry's rooting for a top draft pick. Sweet! :unsure:

Anyone can be a sports writer. Have you ever seen these guys in person? I guarantee that 99% of these guys didn't even play a sport in high school. They no zero about a life based on physical and mental competition or even accountability for what they print.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/04/25/1030...ng-project.html

WOW!! I didn't even read this article and posted basically the same thing a couple of minutes ago. Nix is clearly playing for the first 20 minutes of the draft next year. No doubt!! And, its the right thing to do. This team needs to bottom out. Please 1-15 here we come!! Get the QB and start to have a future. The worst thing they could do is win 5-7 games again.

Anyone can be a sports writer. Have you ever seen these guys in person? I guarantee that 99% of these guys didn't even play a sport in high school. They no zero about a life based on physical and mental competition or even accountability for what they print.

There's a difference between being a sports writer and an editorial writer, which is what Sully is. He gets paid to write his opinion unlike Gaughan, Wilson, et al who are the team's beat reporters.

I also think you paint with too broad a brush when you suggest sports writers know little of physical and mental competition. Writers often get close to personnel on teams and are confided in on a regular basis by players about all sorts of things that we never see in print. One could say that sports writers know better than anyone other than the athletes they cover of the constant rigors and the toll it takes to prepare and sacrifice to meet those physical and mental challenges that athletes face.

No need to even touch upon the thought that "anyone" can be a sports writer.

I'm not fan of a Sully and I appreciate your disdain for him. I really do.

GO BILLS!!!

To further along about Ed Wang.....

I dont want to turn this into a racial discussion.....but I could see him doing quite well

- Being the first Chinese player drafted into the NFL is probably a huge motivation for him

- His pedigree is incredible having Olympian parents

- I have been around asian athletes because of my son.......and I have seen parents like Wangs. They strive for absolute perfection and are not lazy which means Wang is probably also not lazy.

I think he may start for us as early as this year.

Just a follow up on this. If you look at Ed's Espn first take video, it's more of the same as the NFL.com video on the Bills page. However, one thing that struck me was the fact that his parents wouldn't allow him to date until he had a scholarship offer for football in hand. Ironically, he also became the first 16 year old recipient of a VT scholarship!

I definitely consider the pressure of being the first Chinese American drafted into the NFL as something that he will not at all take lightly. Almost to a scary level.

Here's the Video

Just a follow up on this. If you look at Ed's Espn first take video, it's more of the same as the NFL.com video on the Bills page. However, one thing that struck me was the fact that his parents wouldn't allow him to date until he had a scholarship offer for football in hand. Ironically, he also became the first 16 year old recipient of a VT scholarship!

I definitely consider the pressure of being the first Chinese American drafted into the NFL as something that he will not at all take lightly. Almost to a scary level.

Here's the Video

Wang seems to be a very cool and level-headed guy.

"Nothing is free, nothing comes easy".
I wouldn't be surprised if this guy becomes a starter this season.

A lot of people are critcizing Nix's draft strategy and justifiably so. With a ton of holes on this team, but 3 that really stand out (QB, LT, NT), he really didn't fill any of them. He drafted Wang from VA Tech, who is a former tight end and nowhere close to be ready, if ever, to start in the NFL. He ignored the QB position. He drafted a DE to try to convert him to NT. The majority of personnel who study this type of stuff, feel that the LT was the most important position on this team to address, and he passed over 4 or 5 possible franchise left tackles. With draft strategies like this, there is little doubt this organization is still declining and not improving, so if he is so inclined to draft a QB next year, he will be able too. Who knows, he might take another running back in the first round next year, so we can have half of a roster featuring 1,000 yard backs, and no line to block or QB to throw the ball. There is no doubt that Spiller can be a game changer, but we needed improvement more at every other position on the team than RB.

How do you know this? They haven't played a single down in the NFL, let alone been to minicamp or training camp. Nix is a top flight talent evaluator, proven thru numerous drafts in San Diego. No offense, but if there is a discrepancy between who you think is good and who Nix thinks is good, I would side with Nix 1000 times out of 1000.