After three rounds, here are some questions/thoughts

jahnyc

1. I assume that Edwards, Stroud, Johnson and Carrington are our defensive ends. Does this mean that Schobel (if he returns), Kelsay, Maybin, Ellis and maybe Mitchell are our outside linebackers? Can any of these guys play outside linebacker? So far, no outside linebackers have been drafted by the Bills.

2. At DT, is McCargo going to be back? I assume we will have some 4-3 looks at times, but does he fit into our plans? Why not cut him now?

3. What is the plan at offensive tackle? You cannot expect a fourth rounder or lower round pick to come in and start. Does this mean that Cornell Green is likely to start? That will be unfortunate. Worse will be if the Bills start Bell at LT this season. I hope a trade is in the works, otherwise this will be a disaster (as we learned last year).

4. At guard, who are going to be the back-ups? With no guarantee that Wood will be back before the beginning of the season (at full strength), how can we not have someone who can start if needed and otherwise be a back-up guard?

5. Still surprised that Lynch was not traded before the Spiller pick. Must be that on one is interested in him. I think keeping Lynch will create an unhealthy dynamic among the running backs.

6. Does anyone think that Hardy can be a number two or that Johnson is ready to play slot? Very worried about WR. How does Parrish fit in?

7. Looks like we need to wait another year for a QB. Bad news, since QBs take time to develop.

1. I assume that Edwards, Stroud, Johnson and Carrington are our defensive ends. Does this mean that Schobel (if he returns), Kelsay, Maybin, Ellis and maybe Mitchell are our outside linebackers? Can any of these guys play outside linebacker? So far, no outside linebackers have been drafted by the Bills.

The Bills have indicated that these guys all shift to OLB, My guess is a few can transition but I doubt Kelsay can.

2. At DT, is McCargo going to be back? I assume we will have some 4-3 looks at times, but does he fit into our plans? Why not cut him now?

Maybe he becomes a DE don't forget they added a few big bodies to compete at DT late last year.

3. What is the plan at offensive tackle? You cannot expect a fourth rounder or lower round pick to come in and start. Does this mean that Cornell Green is likely to start? That will be unfortunate. Worse will be if the Bills start Bell at LT this season. I hope a trade is in the works, otherwise this will be a disaster (as we learned last year).

Don't forget Jamon Meridth he is developing, plus there is still time to get a good RT prospect.

4. At guard, who are going to be the back-ups? With no guarantee that Wood will be back before the beginning of the season (at full strength), how can we not have someone who can start if needed and otherwise be a back-up guard?

Need help my guess 6th rd.

7. Looks like we need to wait another year for a QB. Bad news, since QBs take time to develop.

Snead could be interesting as a late round pick, but it looks like next year for a top QB.

5. Still surprised that Lynch was not traded before the Spiller pick. Must be that on one is interested in him. I think keeping Lynch will create an unhealthy dynamic among the running backs.

6. Does anyone think that Hardy can be a number two or that Johnson is ready to play slot? Very worried about WR. How does Parrish fit in?

These are all valid concerns but you have to understand now that this team will not be turned around in a year. We had to get bigger and stronger on defense and we have. We have to gamble that Maybin can rush the passer as a LB. With Edwards, Stroud, Troup, Carrington, Spenser and Kyle Williams, we look to be stout against the run, for the first time in memory. Maybin, Poz, Davis, Mitchell, Nic Harris and maybe Shcbel will be good against the run and hopefully effective blitzing. Our secondary is sound.

On offense. it's clear that is not going to get fixed this year. Barring trades, we may see a line of D. Bell, Levitre, Hangarnter, Wood and Green. Remember, a much weaker line last year still turned out a 1.000 yard rusher. I remain nervous about receiver, but there's only so much you can do in one draft. I like where we are going, but let's be clear, we're not there yet.

There are still a lot of wholes to fill and I think people will have to accept the fact that they are not going to fill all their holes in this draft. In some way they still have to address some OL depth issues, but I don't think that warrants reaching on a player in the draft. I would rather see them taking the best players available than taking a long reach for a guy just because he fits a need.

This team isn't going to find it's franchise QB this year and doesn't look like it's going to find it's franchise LT either. Saying that, if this team continues to stock pile solid players, eventually they will start to turn this team round.

These are all valid concerns but you have to understand now that this team will not be turned around in a year. We had to get bigger and stronger on defense and we have. We have to gamble that Maybin can rush the passer as a LB. With Edwards, Stroud, Troup, Carrington, Spenser and Kyle Williams, we look to be stout against the run, for the first time in memory. Maybin, Poz, Davis, Mitchell, Nic Harris and maybe Shcbel will be good against the run and hopefully effective blitzing. Our secondary is sound.

On offense. it's clear that is not going to get fixed this year. Barring trades, we may see a line of D. Bell, Levitre, Hangarnter, Wood and Green. Remember, a much weaker line last year still turned out a 1.000 yard rusher. I remain nervous about receiver, but there's only so much you can do in one draft. I like where we are going, but let's be clear, we're not there yet.

So basically, we don't expect to win any games cause we won't have a qb or o-line? Thats swell. That's a great message for nix to send the fans: "don't worry, we'll start the 3 year qb development process next years and score points in 4 years. Don't worry, we'll all be fired by then"

So basically, we don't expect to win any games cause we won't have a qb or o-line? Thats swell. That's a great message for nix to send the fans: "don't worry, we'll start the 3 year qb development process next years and score points in 4 years. Don't worry, we'll all be fired by then"

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to Nix's statements about their intention. The motto of this offseason has been that in order to win, you have to run the ball and stop the run. As Gailey said, you can win with, and I'm paraphrasing, a mediocre NFL QB, so long as you can run and play defense.

As such, the Bills went out and drafted the best RB in this draft. Then, they draft a true NT followed by a run stuffing DE. If Bruce Campbell is there for our pick in the fourth round, I suspect that the Bills will take him and work him up as the backup next year, to be ready for 2011. As for the G and QB position, Gs can be found in the later rounds. There are a couple of Cs that are good too, including Ted Larson from NCSU who won the Jim Ritcher Award. You might remember him.

Let's not get too upset until we see the team on the field and find out how the rest of the draft goes. So far, good players at positions where they were needed, except, arguably, RB. But when you can get a playmaker like that you have to take him. Remember, the first year Nix was in SD, they drafted Tomlinson. That worked out well for them over the next five seasons.

Even with a very strong draft, it seems that we are far away from fielding a team that is playoff caliber.

I think we need at least two or three strong drafts to become competitive, particularly if we will not be active in free agency, and that assumes that we can find a quality starting QB at some point.

The current draft reminds me that you cannot fill all holes (at least for the current state of the Bills) in one draft. Our first three picks confirm this since only one (the NT) really fills a critical need. Maybe these were the best players available, bu the huge holes remain.

despite being a fan for 30 years, its fairly obvious the bills are completely inept as an organization.

completely. inept.

i honestly dont know how i can support/follow them anymore.

Then don't. Come back in a year or two to ride the bandwagon.

Why would you be any less nervous about receiver if they drafted one? Hardy and Johnson are young but know what the game is about. It's time they got their chance. We might just like what we get.

despite being a fan for 30 years, its fairly obvious the bills are completely inept as an organization.

completely. inept.

Then don't. But cut the whining like a girl. Come on here and tell us why they are inept? Because they focused on Defensive lineman who can help stop the gashing they took the past SEVERAL YEARS in the run game? You didn't mind the Jets rushing for over Two hundred yds? TWICE. Or Miami? They only get one pick per round. They got a guy who can score from anywhere on the field in a variety of ways, something they haven't had in decades. Sue them for that. They take two big defensive linemen who specialize in run stopping. Sounds good to me.

Even with a very strong draft, it seems that we are far away from fielding a team that is playoff caliber.

I think we need at least two or three strong drafts to become competitive, particularly if we will not be active in free agency, and that assumes that we can find a quality starting QB at some point.

The current draft reminds me that you cannot fill all holes (at least for the current state of the Bills) in one draft. Our first three picks confirm this since only one (the NT) really fills a critical need. Maybe these were the best players available, bu the huge holes remain.

Anyone think the Bills will take LeFevour, Pike, or Skelton tomorrow to add another QB to the mix? We still need OL, WR, and OLB in addition to QB. Or does Chan think he can get Trent to play like Dilfer and be good enough.

At least we can't complain about the DL support from this draft....

Then don't. But cut the whining like a girl. Come on here and tell us why they are inept? Because they focused on Defensive lineman who can help stop the gashing they took the past SEVERAL YEARS in the run game? You didn't mind the Jets rushing for over Two hundred yds? TWICE. Or Miami? They only get one pick per round. They got a guy who can score from anywhere on the field in a variety of ways, something they haven't had in decades. Sue them for that. They take two big defensive linemen who specialize in run stopping. Sounds good to me.

INEPT. None of the GMs had/have any idea of what they are doing.

Here is a review how good teams are made, idiot.

Buffalo Bills Draft History

Rnd Name College Note

1 Aaron Maybin Penn State

1 Eric Wood Louisville

2 Jairus Byrd Oregon

2 Andy Levitre Oregon State

4 Shawn Nelson Southern Miss

5 Nic Harris Oklahoma

6 Cary Harris Southern Cal

7 Ellis Lankster West Virginia

Rnd Name College Note

1 Leodis McKelvin Troy

2 James Hardy Indiana

3 Chris Ellis Virginia Tech

4 Reggie Corner Akron

4 Derek Fine Kansas

5 Alvin Bowen Iowa State

6 Xavier Omon Northwest Missouri State

7 Demetrius Bell Northwest State (LA)

7 Steve Johnson Kentucky

7 Kennard Cox Pittsburgh

Rnd Name College Note

1 Marshawn Lynch California

2 Paul Posluszny Penn State

3 Trent Edwards Stanford

4 Dwayne Wright Fresno State

6 John Wendling Wyoming

7 Derek Schouman Boise State

7 C.J. Ah You Oklahoma

Rnd Name College Note

1 Donte Whitner Ohio State

1 John McCargo North Carolina State

3 Ashton Youboty Ohio State

4 Ko Simpson South Carolina

5 Kyle Williams Louisiana State

5 Brad Butler Virginia

6 Keith Ellison Oregon State

7 Terrance Pennington New Mexico

7 Aaron Merz California

Rnd Name College Note

2 Roscoe Parrish Miami (FL)

3 Kevin Everett Miami (FL)

4 Duke Preston Illinois

5 Eric King Wake Forest

6 Justin Geisinger Vanderbilt

7 Lionel Gates Louisville

Rnd Name College Note

1 Lee Evans Wisconsin

1 J.P. Losman Tulane

3 Tim Anderson Ohio State

4 Tim Euhus Oregon State

7 Dylan McFarland Montana

7 Jonathan Smith Georgia Tech

Rnd Name College Note

1 Willis McGahee Miami (FL)

2 Chris Kelsay Nebraska

3 Angelo Crowell Virginia

4 Terrence McGee Northwestern State

4 Sam Aiken North Carolina

5 Ben Sobieski Iowa

6 Lauvale Sape Utah

7 Mario Haggan Mississippi State

Rnd Name College Note

1 Mike Williams Texas

2 Josh Reed Louisiana State

2 Ryan Denney Brigham Young

3 Coy Wire Stanford

5 Justin Bannan Colorado

6 Kevin Thomas UNLV

7 Mike Pucillo Auburn

7 Rodney Wright Fresno State

7 Jarrett Ferguson Virginia Tech

7 Dominique Stevenson Tennessee

Rnd Name College Note

1 Nate Clements Ohio State

2 Aaron Schobel Texas Christian

2 Travis Henry Tennessee

3 Ron Edwards Texas A&M

3 Jonas Jennings Georgia

4 Brandon Spoon North Carolina

5 Marques Sullivan Illinois

6 Tony Driver Notre Dame

6 Dan O'Leary Notre Dame

6 Jimmy Williams Vanderbilt

7 Reggie Germany Ohio State

7 Tyrone Robertson Hinds J.C. (MI)

Rnd Name College Note

1 Erik Flowers Arizona State

2 Travares Tillman Georgia Tech

3 Corey Moore Virginia Tech

4 Avion Black Tennessee State

5 Sammy Morris Texas Tech

6 Leif Larsen Texas-El Paso

7 Drew Haddad Buffalo

7 DaShon Polk Arizona

Rnd Name College Note

1 Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State

4 Chip Vaughn Wake Forest

4 Stanley Arnoux Wake Forest

5 Thomas Morstead Southern Methodist

Rnd Name College Note

1 Sedrick Ellis USC

2 Tracy Porter Indiana

5 DeMario Pressley North Carolina State

5 Carl Nicks Nebraska

6 Taylor Mehlhaff Wisconsin

7 Adrian Arrington Michigan

Rnd Name College Note

1 Robert Meachem Tennessee

3 Usama Young Kent State

3 Andy Alleman Akron

4 Antonio Pittman Ohio State

4 Jermon Bushrod Towson

5 David Jones Wingate

7 Marvin Mitchell Tennessee

Rnd Name College Note

1 Reggie Bush USC

2 Roman Harper Alabama

4 Jahri Evans Bloomsburg (PA)

5 Rob Ninkovich Purdue

6 Mike Hass Oregon State

6 Josh (Bernard) Lay Pittsburgh

7 Zach Strief Northwestern

7 Marques Colston Hofstra

DREW BREES ACQUIRED

Rnd Name College Note

1 Jammal Brown Oklahoma

2 Josh Bullocks Nebraska

3 Alfred Fincher Connecticut

4 Chase Lyman California

5 Adrian McPherson Florida State

6 Jason Jefferson Wisconsin

7 Jimmy Verdon Arizona State

Rnd Name College Note

1 Will Smith Ohio State

2 Devery Henderson Louisiana State

2 Courtney Watson Notre Dame

5 Rodney Leisle UCLA

5 Mike Karney Arizona State

7 Colby Bockwoldt Brigham Young

Rnd Name College Note

1 Johnathan Sullivan Georgia

2 Jonathan Stinchcomb Georgia

3 Willie Grant (Cie) Ohio State

4 Montrae Holland Florida State

5 Melvin Williams Kansas State

6 Kareem Kelly USC

7 Talman Gardner Florida State

Rnd Name College Note

1 Donte Stallworth Tennessee

1 Charles Grant Georgia

2 LeCharles Bentley Ohio State

3 James Allen Oregon State

4 Keyuo Craver Nebraska

5 Mel Mitchell Western Kentucky

6 J.T. O'Sullivan California-Davis

6 John Gilmore Penn State

7 Derrius Monroe Virginia Tech

Rnd Name College Note

1 Deuce McAllister Mississippi

3 Sedrick Hodge North Carolina

3 Kenny Smith Alabama

4 Moran Norris Kansas

5 Onomoe Ojo California-Davis

6 Mitch White Oregon State

7 Ennis Davis USC

These are all valid concerns but you have to understand now that this team will not be turned around in a year.

It's only been 10 seasons. What's another year, especially when the team has rebuilt three times since 2001? And yet the same guys hiring the football people are still there, no less promoted.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to Nix's statements about their intention. The motto of this offseason has been that in order to win, you have to run the ball and stop the run.

New Orleans ran the ball so well and stopped the run too. Ditto for Indianapolis. This ain't the NFL of 1985 anymore, but fans key in on Chan "I couldn't get a NFL HC gig for a decade" Gailey as if it's gospel.

completely. inept.

You're not the only one. Watch what happens to season ticket sales.

You're not the only one. Watch what happens to season ticket sales.

My guess is season ticket sales remain high. I was on the fence briefly and decided long before this draft to renew.

Unlike the lemmings, I am glad I did! I love what we are doing in the draft so far.

Memo to to the morons: Spiller rated 6th overall and we take him at 9. You're upset because we didn't take Tebow.

Holy C H I T . I will be happy to get some ROI this year on my season tickets. Are you people kidding me? Spiller IS the excitement missing for so long here. Where's my jersey already????

The Bills didn't take a QB in this draft because its such a weak class.

Why should they pick one of these guys.....because analysts said they should, or just to make you happy???

No matter how much you polish a turd, in the end it is still a turd.....and Clausen, Tebow, and McCoy are turds as NFL QB prospects.

I understand not taking a QB in the first three rounds. The value was not there. The problem is that assuming our QB of the future is not currently on the roster, it pushes out for years having a quality starting QB (from the draft) since they need time to develop.

In terms of WR, I believe that if S. Johnson or Hardy were ready, they would have played more last year. Doubt they will turn out to be effective players this year.

At defensive end, the team must believe that none of Stroud, Johnson or Williams is the answer with the acquisition of Edwards in free agency and Carrington in the draft.

1. I assume that Edwards, Stroud, Johnson and Carrington are our defensive ends. Does this mean that Schobel (if he returns), Kelsay, Maybin, Ellis (Barring a miracle Ellis will not make the 53 man roster this year, JMO) and maybe Mitchell are our outside linebackers? Can any of these guys play outside linebacker? So far, no outside linebackers have been drafted by the Bills. I think Maybin is a definite starter for OLB. Schobel would be too. Mitchell might move outside.

2. At DT, is McCargo going to be back? I assume we will have some 4-3 looks at times, but does he fit into our plans? Why not cut him now? Because he may have some value. They will probably let him try and prove himself in this new scheme, JMO.

3. What is the plan at offensive tackle? You cannot expect a fourth rounder or lower round pick to come in and start. Does this mean that Cornell Green is likely to start? That will be unfortunate. Worse will be if the Bills start Bell at LT this season. I hope a trade is in the works, otherwise this will be a disaster (as we learned last year). Flozell Adams is out there and Jammal Brown is on the trading block. (Keeping fingers crossed for Jammal Brown.)

4. At guard, who are going to be the back-ups? With no guarantee that Wood will be back before the beginning of the season (at full strength), how can we not have someone who can start if needed and otherwise be a back-up guard? I think the guys the Bills had last year are good backups and it wouldn't surprise me to see somebody step up as a solid starter if Wood can't come back this year.

5. Still surprised that Lynch was not traded before the Spiller pick. Must be that on one is interested in him. I think keeping Lynch will create an unhealthy dynamic among the running backs. The Bills are going to take whatever they can now. Hopefully a conditional pick for next year.

6. Does anyone think that Hardy can be a number two or that Johnson is ready to play slot? Very worried about WR. How does Parrish fit in? I think they will draft a WR late and bring in some UFA WR's. I think that Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Hardy are going to be sticking around. Chad Johnson might be a solid backup.

7. Looks like we need to wait another year for a QB. Bad news, since QBs take time to develop. Look for LeFevour to be coming up. I heard somewhere, I forget where, that Gailey will be running a type of spread offense which may be why Tebow seemed interesting. LeFevour is the second best spread QB in the draft. JMO

My comments in bold.

There are still a lot of wholes to fill and I think people will have to accept the fact that they are not going to fill all their holes in this draft. In some way they still have to address some OL depth issues, but I don't think that warrants reaching on a player in the draft. I would rather see them taking the best players available than taking a long reach for a guy just because he fits a need.

This team isn't going to find it's franchise QB this year and doesn't look like it's going to find it's franchise LT either. Saying that, if this team continues to stock pile solid players, eventually they will start to turn this team round.

Exactly, just because the pundits are high on a guy doesn't mean the Bills are.

Why draft a guy you know won't be very good just to fill a need?

completely. inept.

Don't let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha!!

Then don't. Come back in a year or two to ride the bandwagon.

He will and he'll crow about how he's been a fan for 30 years through good and bad.