Round 2, Pick #41: DT Torell Troup - Central Florida

SDS

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sh*tty pick with Charles Brown, Cam Thomas and even Cody still there. No excuses. This is a 3rd round pick.

You are unqualified to make that assessment. So am I and everyone who is on a fan blog....

Get real.

Wait, lots of people yesterday was pissed we didn't go with need. Today we do, and people are pissed it isn't the person they want. Since when do any of you freaking work in the NFL, spend hours breaking down tape, and do this as a career! I for one think that the people whose lives and careers are based on this might have a little better idea of what people are worth than the beer swilling crew on here.

Torell Troup is the best pick at NT here!!! Great Pick!!!

Torrell Troup

DT, UCF

War Room analysis

Strengths: Looks the part of an NFL nose tackle and should have no problem packing on the additional 10-15 lbs he needs in order to play the position. Does a nice job of getting his long arms out with an aggressive initial punch, and when he stays low off the ball, demonstrates a powerful bull rush. Clearly possesses the natural strength to occupy multiple blockers without giving up ground at the point of attack.

Weaknesses: Is not a great athlete; lacks the quickness and speed to penetrate gaps and pursue down the line of scrimmage. Tends to lock on to his blocker and struggles to shed consistently. Must be more consistently aggressive with his hands. Has a bad habit of standing straight up at the snap, which allows blockers to make initial contact and drive him off the ball. Struggles too see side blocks in time and is consistently driven off by them. Needs to improve his conditioning, as he tends to tire in the fourth quarter and play with poor technique and leverage.

Bottom line: With so many teams running a 3-4 defense, players with the Troup's natural size and strength will be in high demand. Troup has a massive frame, looking more like he weighs 340 than his actual weight of 314. When he plays with proper leverage and hand use, he flashes the ability to hold the point of attack extremely well against multiple blockers -- the main skill 3-4 teams are looking for in a 0-technique nose tackle. However, he is limited to this position by his lack of athleticism, as he lacks the quickness to consistently disrupt the backfield and the lateral speed and agility to make plays outside his "A" gaps. He will need to improve his hand fighting and fitness if he wants to develop into more than a two-down backup at the next level, because in college he struggled to produce on runs at him and late in games. He will probably be drafted higher than we have him rated because there is such a premium on his position, but he will probably always be limited to playing on first and second down.

:w00t:

First time ESPN didn't show the commissioner announcing the pick. I havn't heard of troup, is he a NT prospect?

There is no doubt where the Bills rank in NFL interest. They spent the whole time of the Bills countdown talking to Holmgren and ignored it when their choice was made.

Then they went to commercial, came back and did a token mention of the pick and switched to ESPN2

:w00t::worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Wait, lots of people yesterday was pissed we didn't go with need. Today we do, and people are pissed it isn't the person they want. Since when do any of you freaking work in the NFL, spend hours breaking down tape, and do this as a career! I for one think that the people whose lives and careers are based on this might have a little better idea of what people are worth than the beer swilling crew on here.

I get it...run and stop the run...and...I'm good with DT, but there was/is too much other highly skilled positions available that is hard to come by - outside of the draft.

Since when have the Bills shown that they're better at drafting than the conventional wisdom/consensus? Since John Butler was there, that's when. The Bills need to earn the benefit of the doubt by having some of these reaches pan out. Drafting a NT with a 3rd-round grade when there's higher-rated (by consensus) players available at QB, LT, and NT? You'd better be right. The last decade of history suggests the Bills will be wrong again. You can't hope to defend them until they prove us wrong, because we've been right for years now.

I'm telling you guys, Clausen is going to make ALOT of teams in the NFL wish they had picked him.

Maybe so. But I was watching highlights...and Clausen just looked like a first class a-hole on the field. I have to believe he just turned people off. For BUFFALO, of all teams, to pass on this QB says alot to me about Clausen.

Cody reminds me of the NT version of LT Anthony Davis. And I guess when the Bills said to Charles Brown that "we need a rookie LT to start immediately," they were telling him that he wasn't it.