Official NBA Playoffs thread.....

Special K

Bills thats just Fisher he is a really emotional guy who quite frankly played like crap the majority of the season and gave his team enough to win tonight so he is happy......its actually one of the things I really like about him....

Good game......horrible officiating both ways......Lakers found a way to get it done. This was actually a game I had in the loss column and then coming on strong in the next one.

Looks like this goes back to LA after all Paul Pierce.

Don't know where to begin...I think this was the best officiated game of the series so far, which I realize, is not saying much. There are always going to be a bad call or two, but I don't think, tonight, anyone can say the officiating played a role in the outcome of the game. The Lakers had a great first half, the Celtics shot like crap most of the game, and could never overcome the early hole they put themselves in.

I honestly thought the Celtics would win this game...very disappointing outcome. The two games the Celtics lost, especially tonight, I thought it was almost as much a product of poor shooting, as anything the Lakers did. Paul Pierce had a load of great shots, all which he missed... Ray Allen was as cold as a shooter can be.

If the Celtics play defense like they did in the second half (save Fishers coast to coast clutch shot) they should be able to extend this series to six or seven. Beating the Lakers, again, at home would be tough...but I can't ever count this team out, until it is over. I had a feeling that Garnett was going to come alive tonight...too bad it was a wasted effort. Glen Davis and Tony Allen played great off the bench.

Anyone who doesn't think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA is an idiot. Bryant did everything tonight...his save of that ball going out of bounds, to pass it to Bynum (or was it Artest) for the easy basket was amazing. I get depressed watching this guy play...he didn't score a lot in the second half, but he plays hard, and smart the whole game. His defensive effort tonight, was every bit as impressive as his offensive play is, most nights. I don't know if he is better than Jordan, but I can tell you, there is nobody better in the game right now.

Derek Fisher was the clutch guy tonight... can't overstate how important experience is, in the playoffs. Gasol (c'mon Laker fans, admit it, Gasol is every bit the flopper you accuse Pierce of being!), and Odom had nice, solid games. Ironically, Artest getting the two early fouls may have helped the Lakers, as Odom got in early, and delivered.

As for the review, on the ball that went off of Garnetts hand, it was a good call, they got it right. In my opinion, it wasn't unlike the call the other night, that everyone thought the officials got wrong. Tonight, it was Kobe's swipe at the ball that cased it to go out of bounds, but it hit Garnetts hand...the other night, I think, the same thing happened with Garnett and Gasol, in the Celtics favor.

Painful way to lose a game in the finals...the Celtics hole just got bigger...but they aren't dead...just make some damn shots!

Sad to hear Doc Rivers taking a page out of Phil Jacksons' book, in his post game press conference, whining about the officiating...he typically stays away from that...he mentioned that it seems to work for Phil, so, he has to do everything he can, to give his team a chance to win as well...pathetic. True, Pierce got into foul trouble early, but, Doc should be used to it by now...I hate that officiating seems to be a huge part of every game...again, I thought it was okay tonight.

Oh well...looking forward to Thursday...the house will be rocking!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know where to begin...I think this was the best officiated game of the series so far, which I realize, is not saying much. There are always going to be a bad call or two, but I don't think, tonight, anyone can say the officiating played a role in the outcome of the game. The Lakers had a great first half, the Celtics shot like crap most of the game, and could never overcome the early hole they put themselves in.

I honestly thought the Celtics would win this game...very disappointing outcome. The two games the Celtics lost, especially tonight, I thought it was almost as much a product of poor shooting, as anything the Lakers did. Paul Pierce had a load of great shots, all which he missed... Ray Allen was as cold as a shooter can be.

If the Celtics play defense like they did in the second half (save Fishers coast to coast clutch shot) they should be able to extend this series to six or seven. Beating the Lakers, again, at home would be tough...but I can't ever count this team out, until it is over. I had a feeling that Garnett was going to come alive tonight...too bad it was a wasted effort. Glen Davis and Tony Allen played great off the bench.

Anyone who doesn't think Kobe Bryant is the best player in the NBA is an idiot. Bryant did everything tonight...his save of that ball going out of bounds, to pass it to Bynum (or was it Artest) for the easy basket was amazing. I get depressed watching this guy play...he didn't score a lot in the second half, but he plays hard, and smart the whole game. His defensive effort tonight, was every bit as impressive as his offensive play is, most nights. I don't know if he is better than Jordan, but I can tell you, there is nobody better in the game right now.

Derek Fisher was the clutch guy tonight... can't overstate how important experience is, in the playoffs. Gasol (c'mon Laker fans, admit it, Gasol is every bit the flopper you accuse Pierce of being!), and Odom had nice, solid games. Ironically, Artest getting the two early fouls may have helped the Lakers, as Odom got in early, and delivered.

As for the review, on the ball that went off of Garnetts hand, it was a good call, they got it right. In my opinion, it wasn't unlike the call the other night, that everyone thought the officials got wrong. Tonight, it was Kobe's swipe at the ball that cased it to go out of bounds, but it hit Garnetts hand...the other night, I think, the same thing happened with Garnett and Gasol, in the Celtics favor.

Painful way to lose a game in the finals...the Celtics hole just got bigger...but they aren't dead...just make some damn shots!

Sad to hear Doc Rivers taking a page out of Phil Jacksons' book, in his post game press conference, whining about the officiating...he typically stays away from that...he mentioned that it seems to work for Phil, so, he has to do everything he can, to give his team a chance to win as well...pathetic. True, Pierce got into foul trouble early, but, Doc should be used to it by now...I hate that officiating seems to be a huge part of every game...again, I thought it was okay tonight.

Oh well...looking forward to Thursday...the house will be rocking!

I myself just think there are too many whistles......the amount of replays tonight were ridiculous

Its the playoffs.......and guys are going to get beat up in the playoffs and that is the way it should be......stop officiating the games so tightly (and they are doing it both ways) and let the boys play for christ sake.

The lakers could have played a lot better in this game......and because of that I am not as worried because I KNOW that Ray Allen isn't going to be cold like that the whole series.

A lot of energy being expended here......it is my belief that the Celtics are a little long in the tooth and as the series goes on it might show.....but this series is far from over.

The lakers do some things that really shoot themselves in the foot.....my biggest complaint is pulling Bynum when he is having such a great series.....yeah I know he has the knee problem but he knows what is at stake and is giving his all.....KEEP OUR DEFENSIVE ANCHOR IN THE GAME especially if he is not in foul trouble.

Can't wait for Sunday...great game tonight...if Bynum is out, this could get interesting. Still concerned about the lack of production from the starters, but I think they are getting their shots...they just aren't making them. This drought has to end at some point...Baby and Nate Robinson were awesome! Wish they could play like that in LA...

They are saying on ESPN Radio that Bynum has a torn meniscus and could be out for the remainder of the series.

No links yet though.

No coincidence that Big Baby goes off, when Bynum goes out. That could be huge. The Lakers are obviously the more skilled team, but, the Celtics desire can't be discounted. One less big body to contend with...

Can't wait for Sunday...great game tonight...if Bynum is out, this could get interesting. Still concerned about the lack of production from the starters, but I think they are getting their shots...they just aren't making them. This drought has to end at some point...Baby and Nate Robinson were awesome! Wish they could play like that in LA...

What do you think Crayonz thinks of the Bynum injury? Not that you really care! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Enquiring minds want to know! <_<

Even you Buf has got to admit, it (the whole conspiracy/fix/script argument) makes everything interestinig!

What do you think Crayonz thinks of the Bynum injury? Not that you really care! :w00t::thumbsup:

Enquiring minds want to know! :thumbsup:

Even you Buf has got to admit, it (the whole conspiracy/fix/script argument) makes everything interestinig!

Not really... <_<

No coincidence that Big Baby goes off, when Bynum goes out. That could be huge. The Lakers are obviously the more skilled team, but, the Celtics desire can't be discounted. One less big body to contend with...

The meniscus injury isn't new he has been playing with it all series.....I think he might be done though.....

One of the things that has always scared me about Phil is his blind devotion to his players even when they are not performing.

If Lamar Odom actually shows up in this series like he wanted it I think the finals are already over or just about over........a guy with the skills of a 20 point 15 rebound player on a nicely basis.....but he has been playing like an absolute kitty.

Bynum even at less then 100 percent was keeping the Celtics from bullying us in the paint....that is how important he is to this team. We have D.J. Mbenga on the bench who is not a scorer but is a very good shot blocker/rebounder/paint enforcer.....but I dont know if Phil will give him any burn.

Congrats to the Celtics they did what they needed to do at home.

Gotta go home and show why home court advantage is important.....I have no doubt this is going 7 games

I am not going to get into individual referee calls.......I just wish they would be consistant on both sides on both teams....they have been calling these games so ridiculously tight AND have made bad calls both ways........this was a game where there was a lot of pushing, shoving, handchecking, and fouls in the paint were let go.....but my lakers simply could not adjust.

Just give some consistancy please

Congrats to the Celtics they did what they needed to do at home.

Gotta go home and show why home court advantage is important.....I have no doubt this is going 7 games

I am not going to get into individual referee calls.......I just wish they would be consistant on both sides on both teams....they have been calling these games so ridiculously tight AND have made bad calls both ways........this was a game where there was a lot of pushing, shoving, handchecking, and fouls in the paint were let go.....but my lakers simply could not adjust.

Just give some consistancy please

The Celts had only 4 FTs until the last 2 minutes. The refs have sucked most of the series but were pretty good tonight. IMO, the refs really have had little impact on this series. The players have ultimately decided the series.

But again, this is why the 2-3-2 is terrible.

The Celts had only 4 FTs until the last 2 minutes. The refs have sucked most of the series but were pretty good tonight. IMO, the refs really have had little impact on this series. The players have ultimately decided the series.

Does anyone know why the NBA doesn't switch to the NHL format of 2-2-1-1-1? I agree that this format stinks for both teams. By losing one game at home, the Lakers set themselves up to lose the series? And now, with a 3-2 "advantage", the Celtics have to now win one of two on the road to win the Championship?!? No makey sensey.

Does anyone know why the NBA doesn't switch to the NHL format of 2-2-1-1-1?

That's how it used to be but I think they switched it in the mid 80's due to excessive travel issues.

Soft.......

There were not a lot of free throws for either team but that isn't really what I am complaining about.....I think that these games have been called VERY tightly with the exception of this game....

I really dont even have a problem with not calling the physical fouls.....it is just that what it ends up being is which team can adapt best to the way the refs are calling the game.....

For instance......the lakers have a more skilled set on the floor but not a more physical one.....we have some very phsyical players that dont get burn because of how the games have previously been called (it also plays into the Celtics hands as I think Rivers is better at in game adjustments then Phil Jackson is......Phil gets REALLY stubborn)

if this was going to be a really physical game with letting players play......I would have like to see less Odom and start letting guys like DJ Mbenga get burn for defensive purposes.......NOBODY is going to push around DJ the way Odom and Pao get pushed around.

Anyway....its a moot point because even though we are at home the next game is a close out game and Phil isn't going to make adjustments now. I preduct a game where the refs turn it around and start calling fouls like they were previously and it will be up to the Celtics to adjust

Its going 7 games

Does anyone know why the NBA doesn't switch to the NHL format of 2-2-1-1-1? I agree that this format stinks for both teams. By losing one game at home, the Lakers set themselves up to lose the series? And now, with a 3-2 "advantage", the Celtics have to now win one of two on the road to win the Championship?!? No makey sensey.

I think the format started in the early 80's, when the NBA wasn't quite the corporate entity that it would become...as it seemed every years it was teams from different coast vying for the trophy, as a cost cutting measure for the league, as well as the media outlets that covered it, they switched to the 2-3-2, to accommodate everyone. It was a good idea at the time, but it has outlasted its' usefulness. Now, the Celtics and Lakers will fly from one coast to the other, in one day, only to play another game...I am sure both teams would have preferred to get to LA two days early, rather than sit around Boston for a day.

Anyways, I gotta say, the C's need to win this thing on Tuesday...

I may regret saying this, but even if the Lakers are the more physically talented team, I think this series may have slipped away from them tonight. They were right back at square one. Kobe can't do it all by himself, but, his teammates just don't seem to have the same fire that he does. So, does he try to shoot out the lights himself, or spread the ball to his softer teammates? That shot of him coming off the court, in the third quarter, for a timeout, saying "I'll cover him" (in reference to Paul Pierce) was kind of telling. Kobe Bryant is one frustrated guy. Ron Artest has done little for the Lakers in this series...he seems at a fork in the road, "Should I play like "crazy Ron Artest" the street baller? Or, should a be a "professional" like my stiff teammates?"

Be interesting to see what adjustments Phil Jackson comes up with. I don't expect the Celtics to get as much out of their bench, in LA, but I think Phil underestimates the Celtics bench. And I think everyone (except John from Hemet who has been saying as much since the playoffs started), has kind of overrated the Lakers bench, or Jackson...one or the other.

His post game press conferences are a hoot... his smug arrogance is great for the game!

Gotta say, when these playoffs started, I was thinking getting beyond the first round was going to be tough for the Celtics...here we are a month later, and they are 1 win away from number 18. I am pinching myself!!! Whether they get it or not, I love this team!

There were not a lot of free throws for either team but that isn't really what I am complaining about.....I think that these games have been called VERY tightly with the exception of this game....

I really dont even have a problem with not calling the physical fouls.....it is just that what it ends up being is which team can adapt best to the way the refs are calling the game.....

For instance......the lakers have a more skilled set on the floor but not a more physical one.....we have some very phsyical players that dont get burn because of how the games have previously been called (it also plays into the Celtics hands as I think Rivers is better at in game adjustments then Phil Jackson is......Phil gets REALLY stubborn)

if this was going to be a really physical game with letting players play......I would have like to see less Odom and start letting guys like DJ Mbenga get burn for defensive purposes.......NOBODY is going to push around DJ the way Odom and Pao get pushed around.

Anyway....its a moot point because even though we are at home the next game is a close out game and Phil isn't going to make adjustments now. I preduct a game where the refs turn it around and start calling fouls like they were previously and it will be up to the Celtics to adjust

Its going 7 games

John, I think you are absolutely right, in regards to the officiating, and the game to game adjustments. Why I think the Celtics tend to prevail in these situations...the cliche that Doc Rivers repeats over and over again, rings so true for this team..."we are who we are, thats' the way we play".... Doc doesn't have to worry about adjusting to the officiating so much, his squad plays the same, hard edge, style night in night out... it has been the franchise trademark through all of their success. Some nights, they get fouls called on them like crazy, but it doesn't keep them from playing their style. In other words, they don't let the officials dictate the game to them.

Gasol spent the whole first week of this series, explaining that he is tough...he had me convinced...but then he keeps talking and talking, and you realize, he is thinking way too much about how he is perceived... it plays into the Celtics favor. For as soundly as the Lakers beat the Celtics in games 1 and 3, I still contend, the biggest reason the Celtics lost those games was not so much a stifling Lakers defense, but just a crap load of bad shooting...they were getting plenty of good shots, just not converting them.

I think the format started in the early 80's, when the NBA wasn't quite the corporate entity that it would become...as it seemed every years it was teams from different coast vying for the trophy, as a cost cutting measure for the league, as well as the media outlets that covered it, they switched to the 2-3-2, to accommodate everyone. It was a good idea at the time, but it has outlasted its' usefulness. Now, the Celtics and Lakers will fly from one coast to the other, in one day, only to play another game...I am sure both teams would have preferred to get to LA two days early, rather than sit around Boston for a day.

Anyways, I gotta say, the C's need to win this thing on Tuesday...

I may regret saying this, but even if the Lakers are the more physically talented team, I think this series may have slipped away from them tonight. They were right back at square one. Kobe can't do it all by himself, but, his teammates just don't seem to have the same fire that he does. So, does he try to shoot out the lights himself, or spread the ball to his softer teammates? That shot of him coming off the court, in the third quarter, for a timeout, saying "I'll cover him" (in reference to Paul Pierce) was kind of telling. Kobe Bryant is one frustrated guy. Ron Artest has done little for the Lakers in this series...he seems at a fork in the road, "Should I play like "crazy Ron Artest" the street baller? Or, should a be a "professional" like my stiff teammates?"

Be interesting to see what adjustments Phil Jackson comes up with. I don't expect the Celtics to get as much out of their bench, in LA, but I think Phil underestimates the Celtics bench. And I think everyone (except John from Hemet who has been saying as much since the playoffs started), has kind of overrated the Lakers bench, or Jackson...one or the other.

His post game press conferences are a hoot... his smug arrogance is great for the game!

Gotta say, when these playoffs started, I was thinking getting beyond the first round was going to be tough for the Celtics...here we are a month later, and they are 1 win away from number 18. I am pinching myself!!! Whether they get it or not, I love this team!

I did NOT like what Phil used to try to motivate the team in the 4th quarter something to the effect of Boston being the best at losing 4th quarters or something like that....I know what he was trying to do but if that comes back and bites us in the @ss in the next game I am going to be so angry.

I honestly think win or lose Phil is not back coaching this team next year.......whether it be because Mr. Buss wants him to take a pay cut or that Phil doesn't preach defense the way Kobe wants to play it.

I did NOT like what Phil used to try to motivate the team in the 4th quarter something to the effect of Boston being the best at losing 4th quarters or something like that....I know what he was trying to do but if that comes back and bites us in the @ss in the next game I am going to be so angry.

I honestly think win or lose Phil is not back coaching this team next year.......whether it be because Mr. Buss wants him to take a pay cut or that Phil doesn't preach defense the way Kobe wants to play it.

I think he'll come back if he has a chance at a 4th 3-peat.