NHL Playoffs thread...

Buftex

Entertaining first night of NHL playoffs...Devils, Red Wings, Penguins and Sharks all lose...no OT thrillers, but it is only the first night...and the real thing starts tomorrow! GO SABRES!!!

This ought to get you pumped!!!

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entertaining first night of NHL playoffs...Devils, Red Wings, Penguins and Sharks all lose...no OT thrillers, but it is only the first night...and the real thing starts tomorrow! GO SABRES!!!

YEA man, we need to start off with a bevy of goals..... Make boston aware that we are here to sweep em!!

but--

(03:10 AM) Mr. Fancy Pants - I am hoping that this trend of the home team losing the first game of the series does not continue tomorrow evening.

(03:12 AM) Mr. Fancy Pants - The yotes/wings gamr being the exception.

CAN'T WAIT!!! GO SABRES!!! If you don't like playoff hockey, there's a chance you are a dead zombie wandering the earth.

As for last nights East games--

Pens played undisciplined and Fleury was real shaky, they deserved to lose.

There was a point in the 2nd period when the the Pens were down 3-2 but had some momentum...In the Ottawa end, Spezza was grinding with Crosby in the corner, and maybe Spezza got a little aggressive and high with the elbow on Sid, but it was nothing much, Sid didn't even really flinch and there was no call. Sid even won the puck and just skated away as Spezza lost his balance. Then Kunitz for Pittsburgh came flying into the corner and blasted Spezza when the puck was nowhere close, I guess he was "protecting" Crosby. He was penalized. Three points--

1. Crosby is as athletic as any player, is quite strong, has the puck constantly, works hard in the corners, and gives plenty shots of his own. He can handle himself just fine.

2. It was Jason Spezza, not Neil or Ruttu. I hardly think Spezza is trying to "run" somebody.

3. Kunitz took a stupid penalty in a one-goal game in the playoffs, and Ottawa pumped one in on the PP a minute later to make the score 4-2. Bye bye momentum, bye bye game 1.

You can't do stupid things like that in the playoffs. On a Tuesday night in January in game 44 of the season, sure you don't want other teams taking liberties on your stars. But there's much more at stake here, it's hockey, you have to just play and let some things roll off your back. In these playoffs, Crosby is going to take MANY worse shots than a weak elbow from Jason Spezza...If the Pens react everytime, they'll be in trouble.

Philly played a great road game, nice job making 2 goals stand up.

This is the one that gets me ready for the playoffs:

, except for that part at the 3 minute mark. :w00t:

Great moment.... but the greatest Sabres playoff goal, modern times, has got to be Pomminville in OT vs Ottawa:

I know Darin mentioned this in another thread but the thing that stands out most in the clip is we need Jim Lorenz back. :w00t:

Great moment.... but the greatest Sabres playoff goal, modern times, has got to be Pomminville in OT vs Ottawa:

I was watching at a friend's house with about 15 people, everyone threw in $5 and picked a player to score the winner...I had Pommer!!! Needless to say that cash was gone immediately at the postgame trip celebratory trip to the pub.

I know Darin mentioned this in another thread but the thing that stands out most in the clip is we need Jim Lorenz back. :w00t:

For me, it is truly a case of not appreciating what you have, until it is gone... I only started appreciating Lorenz, with the advent of Center ICE, and being subjected to so many other broadcasts from around the league. Lorenz and Jeanerett were right up there...

I wonder what Lorenz is up to, these days. I was hoping that they might get him to do a game or two, when Neale was on loan to CBC... I am not impressed by Harry at all... he sounds like the generic broadcaster they have on EA Sports NHL games... he offers zero insight, and really doesn't seem as familiar with the Sabres as one would think he should be.

I was watching at a friend's house with about 15 people, everyone threw in $5 and picked a player to score the winner...I had Pommer!!! Needless to say that cash was gone immediately at the postgame trip celebratory trip to the pub.

Similar situation for me. I had graduated UB a year earlier but was back in Buffalo for the graduation ceremony/party of a bunch of my buddies who had stayed for the 5th year. We had the game on at the party and it was so packed it was hard to keep your attention on the game. The way that goal set up, I could hardly believe my eyes. Talk about out of nowhere. That goal had everything needed to make it legendary.

Short-handed, overtime, playoff clinching goal! (Say that 5 times) I was watching it at a bar in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I exploded with glee, silencing the whole bar. :lol::w00t::D

I left shortly afterward.

My all-time fav OT playoff goal still is Robert's in Montreal, first playoff season '73.