My dog died today

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a cat too, actually...my parents were never cat people, but we found her in the middle of an intersection close to our house, trapped in a pant leg that her previous owner had tried to use as some sort of sweater. We tracked down the owners, and it turns out the pieces of sh*t were tired of the responsibility so they drove her far away from home and just dumped her...so we kept her.

Funny thing is, the dog and the cat became inseparable. I'm away at school, but my understanding is that the cat is absolutely beside herself.

Firstly, sorry for your loss. But to add...

That poor cat feels the same as you and your parents, possibly because she can sense the sadness in the home. Make sure she gets a lot of attention and consolation. Remember they can't talk it out like we can.

Losing a pet is really hard. Only people who've owned pets understand that. I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. He's waiting for you in the afterlife and he's in a great place right now chasing slow, fat and declawed cats. When you get a new dog he'll be happy that you saved a brother from being put down.

I lost a cat that was only six months old and so I know how painful it is. At least you have a lot of fond memories and I'm sure you gave him a great life.

I think part of the difficulty in losing a pet is that they can't talk. I think it would be easier to see them go if they could talk and were constant complainers; "It's dinnertime A-hole and my bowl's empty!!", "I can't wait til morning!! Get up and let me out or you'll step in it first thing in the morning!!", "You really expect me to 'beg' for that!! Dude you're sick!", "Grrrr, I was on the couch first, just deal with it ya bastard!!", "Dude if you want that damn ball so bad go get it yourself and then hold on to it, frickin dillweed!!", "No, if you don't wanna watch me lick 'em YOU can leave the room!"

Very Very sorry for your loss. They truly become as much of the family as any person. The ending always makes it seem like can you go through it all again knowing the pain that is in the end. The one thought that I told myself when my dog died 3 years ago was, she was going to be born and here anyway, so be thankful she was a part of your life. I bought a house 2 years ago and one of the first things I did was to get a puppy,and it was by far the best addition I have made to my life again. Best of luck bro.

Sorry to hear that Sage. My Grandmother just lost her dog about a month ago; it's weird and sad to go over there and not seeing the dog there. I have 2 cats that will be wow - 12 this year, when there time is finally up - it's not going to be easy. growing up, I never had a cat or dog, my mom was against it. As soon as I moved out, my ex and I got these 2 cats and over the years they have definately become family members. When it's their time, it will be really sad. As other posters have said, you have great memories that won't go way, plus there will be another dog or cat in need of a good home...

Sage, sorry to hear of your loss. We have had several dogs over the course of my life, and as time goes by, the pain recedes. In time you will find the strength to start again, we did with our current dog, and she is as lovable a mutt as you will find. Gentle with kids, yet protective of the house and our family. Take your time, and when you are ready, allow the new dog to be just that.... a new dog. Once , after replacing a great dog, my wife and I constantly compared the new one to the previous dog. It wasnt fair to the dog or us. Take your time, but be open to the unique quirks that these animals bring.

Sage, I feel for your loss. We had to put Thurman down in February (see avatar) and now two months later, I still encounter every-day things which remind me of him and bring tears to my eyes. You'll probably find over the coming weeks and months the same thing happens to you... and it's okay for that to happen. I've been conditioned over the years not to walk on certain spots on the carpet because that's where Thurman's bed is/was (someone once said the dog trains the human) and even now I still walk around those spots out of habit.

Like Darin said, when a door closes, another opens. I'm sorry for your loss, try to remember the wonderful life you gave him while he was alive. Those memories will help you when those lonely feelings creep in.

Sorry to hear Sage... and Bullpen

It sounds like your dogs lived great, long lives and had good providers and companions.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

We've got a cat too, actually...my parents were never cat people, but we found her in the middle of an intersection close to our house, trapped in a pant leg that her previous owner had tried to use as some sort of sweater. We tracked down the owners, and it turns out the pieces of sh*t were tired of the responsibility so they drove her far away from home and just dumped her...so we kept her.

Funny thing is, the dog and the cat became inseparable. I'm away at school, but my understanding is that the cat is absolutely beside herself.

I had the same thing happen when I was 10 or so, but the other way around. I had a lab/border collie mix (Jake) with a white male cat (Popcorn) that happened to be deaf. Well at first, they didn't like each other, but after a couple weeks, they were the best of friends and it was hard to keep them from eating from the same dish. They did everything together. Then Popcorn died and Jake was truly lost and depressed for weeks and would not ever act happy or excited. Jake died a few years later but never had that "spring in his step" or whatever you want to call it.

It truly is a special thing to have animals in your life that you love and love you back, something that is irreplaceable. Glad it sounds like you have many great memories with Sadie!

Sorry to hear Sage... and Bullpen

It sounds like your dogs lived great, long lives and had good providers and companions.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thanks May Day... WOW! It sure is dusty in the office today. :doh:

I'm going to have to get after that crew that cleans our offices.

Thanks again.