My dog died today

Sorry to hear Sage... and Bullpen

It sounds like your dogs lived great, long lives and had good providers and companions.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

That's beautiful, man. And here I thought I was all done with the crying.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!@#$, man. My parents had to put down our dog my freshmen year of college. I too got the call, and while I wanted to be there with her, looking back I'm glad my memories of her aren't of her last days when things really got rough.

Losing a dog is a tragedy of immeasurable proportion. We should outlaw a dog's mortality. But as you said, a dog lives its life the best way it knows how, so we can only assume when it's time for one to move on, it's because they've simply run out of wonderful things to give this world.

Sorry to hear about the pup, Sage. Sucks that you couldn't say goodbye - I know how that feels. I got two guinea pigs when I was in fourth grade, and I took care of them and got closer to them than I will probably ever get to a dog. They knew my footsteps, and would squeal and come up to the side of their cage whenever they heard me walk into the room. I got home from school one day, when they were 6 years old, and my mom told me she had gone up to see them and one of them was just laying there. Turns out she was dead. The other (they were sisters) pretty much gave up after that, but ended up dying during a procedure at the vet that I couldn't be there for. :devil: I still miss them both, and my old room still smells like cedar chips.

Sorry to hear Sage... and Bullpen

It sounds like your dogs lived great, long lives and had good providers and companions.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

man, i shouldnt have read this while at work. :devil: great post though

My sympathies to you. It's never easy, even if you've only had the dog a few years. I just put our chihuahua Loopy down. She was blind, deaf, had a heart murmur, had glaucoma that caused one of her eyes to blow up to twice it's normal size, reduced kidney function, and she was losing weight at an alarming rate. Even with all that wrong with her she still got around the house and loved being with us. I held her as she went to sleep. Never ever easy.

PTR

I'm sorry man, it's never easy. A dog becomes a part of your family.

I had my first dog from when i was 4 untill i was 18. I came dwon the stairs the one day and i found my dog laying in a puddle of its own urine. He had a minor stroke. He was still excited to see me come down the stairs, trying to wag his tail, tried to get up but could not, his head was tilted to one side. Just to see him struggling like that was a shot to my whole body.

Needless to say i new it the beginning of the end for DJ. I yelled for my dad down the stairs, we picked him up and washed him off. I remember laying with him for the entire day, untill it was time.

We got a new dog about 3 years ago the first one since DJ and it took me awhile to grow to her, but i have and love that girl more than ever, no matter how dumb she may be!

I'm sorry man, it's never easy. A dog becomes a part of your family.

I had my first dog from when i was 4 untill i was 18. I came dwon the stairs the one day and i found my dog laying in a puddle of its own urine. He had a minor stroke. He was still excited to see me come down the stairs, trying to wag his tail, tried to get up but could not, his head was tilted to one side. Just to see him struggling like that was a shot to my whole body.

Needless to say i new it the beginning of the end for DJ. I yelled for my dad down the stairs, we picked him up and washed him off. I remember laying with him for the entire day, untill it was time.

We got a new dog about 3 years ago the first one since DJ and it took me awhile to grow to her, but i have and love that girl more than ever, no matter how dumb she may be!

:devil:

Sadie was a real dummy too, but we loved her for it because she tried her best. She saw the mailman through the window every day for 14 years and still barked every day like there was an invasion on the house. FedEx, UPS, other dogs, people jogging by...they all got the same treatment*. I never minded the barking too much though, because I know she was just (in her mind) protecting us from all the evils of the world. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she would have died for us without so much as thinking about it. In that way, dogs offer a genuine loyalty that we almost never find among us fellow humans.

*For whatever reason, the garbageman was the exception. She never once barked when they came around, and if she encountered a garbage truck on her morning walk she would excitedly wag her tail. It was the weirdest thing.

I'm sorry for your loss Sage. I too have experienced tragedy recently. Shelby, my yellow lab of 14 years had to be put down in late September. We took in my grandmother's dog, Lu-Lu, when she moved to an apartment about 3 years ago. My grandmother passed away about 2 months ago and we had to put down the dog about 2 weeks after that. It was all pretty tough to handle, but thinking about the good memories helped us get through it all. We now have a rescued cat from the SPCA, but it just doesn't fill the void of 2 wagging tails running to the door when you get home everyday.

The Rainbow Bridge story is one that I always pass along to those that have lost a pet. Good find May Day.

I remember when we put our lab, Tex, down. My best friend and neighbor was Tex's vet and I don't know who cried more - he or I. Later that day he came over with some Midleton Irish whiskey. Even the wives got a shot. We did some damage to that bottle.

My heart is out to you Sage. Just remember to be the kind of person Sadie thinks that you are.

Hey Sage, sucks losing your friend. Similiar story here in that got a dog when I was 7 and had to put her down actually the first year back from school. Unfortuntely, by that time had lost several family members, but still was not easy to have to put her down.

Just lost my family's dog about 3 years ago. One of the worst days of my parenting life as my kids had been arguing all day, and when my daughter came to my office door while I was on some meaningless phone call, I yelled at her and told her to quit bothering me with troubles with her brother. When I came out 5 minutes later, she was all up in the nannies lap crying, and her words were, through the tears..I,I, I think something is wrong with Cootie..she is on the deck and not breathing". Ole girlh ad gone out and died in her favorite sun spot on the back porch. That was even tougher, as now not only was I crushed, had to explain to my then 5 and 7 year old.

We did wait about 3 months, then got a nice mutt from the Richmond animal control. We went for a whilte male lab mix, vs Cootie who was a black feamle mix. He has been great..but I often tell him he is no Cootie(all in jest). New dog is awesome in his own unique way.

Still times I come home 4 years later and expect to see Cottie in her sun spot!!!

RIP Sadie Sage 1996-2010...the best dog she knew how to be.

I remember getting her as a puppy when I was 7. Worst part is, I wasn't there when she was put down. Had to find out on the phone.

Really sorry to hear that, Sage. Hope you carry her memory in your heart, forever.

Dr. F

Sadie was a real dummy too, but we loved her for it because she tried her best. She saw the mailman through the window every day for 14 years and still barked every day like there was an invasion on the house. FedEx, UPS, other dogs, people jogging by...they all got the same treatment*. I never minded the barking too much though, because I know she was just (in her mind) protecting us from all the evils of the world. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that she would have died for us without so much as thinking about it. In that way, dogs offer a genuine loyalty that we almost never find among us fellow humans.

*For whatever reason, the garbageman was the exception. She never once barked when they came around, and if she encountered a garbage truck on her morning walk she would excitedly wag her tail. It was the weirdest thing.

:lol: I hear you on this one. We have a window seat going to the second story, and the new pup will basically sit guard there, and if anyone comes by, mailman, paperboy,other cat, dog... she will "alarm" us that someone is coming.

The second bold is very true. My old pup would stand guard by my dad, and i would jokingly hit him, he would say ow and yell help, and he would try to protect him by geting between me and him and barking at me. The new pup,she is also very protective, sleeps in front of the stairs as to protect us from intruders.

RIP Sadie Sage 1996-2010...the best dog she knew how to be.

I remember getting her as a puppy when I was 7. Worst part is, I wasn't there when she was put down. Had to find out on the phone.

Very sad, I am sorry.