Why are the Bills so unlucky?

nemhoff

We need, among other things, OT and DT - usually picking at 9 would get you an elite prospect at one of those positions (maybe second best off the board). Not this year, most mocks have something like this ahead of us:

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

How unlucky are we that potentially 6 of the top 8 teams in front of us are drafting at our greatest need? I looked back over the last decade of NFL drafts and only one year, 2002 comes close to that many at OT/DT being taken off the board (at 5). Reminds me of the year that we desperately needed a RB, and just 2-3 spots in front of us the Vikings take AP. We get Marshawn. :lol:

I would love to know if there has ever been an NFL draft that 6-7 of the top ten picks were OT/DT

We need, among other things, OT and DT - usually picking at 9 would get you an elite prospect at one of those positions (maybe second best off the board). Not this year, most mocks have something like this ahead of us:

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

How unlucky are we that potentially 6 of the top 8 teams in front of us are drafting at our greatest need? I looked back over the last decade of NFL drafts and only one year, 2002 comes close to that many at OT/DT being taken off the board (at 5). Reminds me of the year that we desperately needed a RB, and just 2-3 spots in front of us the Vikings take AP. We get Marshawn. :lol:

I would love to know if there has ever been an NFL draft that 6-7 of the top ten picks were OT/DT

maybe we could trade with the browns to leap frog oakland. magini is always open trading and last year proves it may not cost us too many picks

I was just thinking about that. We've been picking in the same area for years now. It seems like the picks we don't botch (Whitner, Maybin over Orakpo, Lynch, trading up for JP) are almost as bad as what we lost out on when a team right before us scooped up our guy.

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

Every year it feels like the Bills are always one or two picks away from difference makers.

IMO the draft has six elite prospects. Suh, McCoy, and Berry are the best bets on defense. Bradford, Okung, and Spiller are the best bets on offense.

It looks like Spiller is the only one who could fall to us and obviously not our top need. If the Bills subscribe to take the best player available, he gets picked.

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

How unlucky are we that potentially 6 of the top 8 teams in front of us are drafting at our greatest need? I looked back over the last decade of NFL drafts and only one year, 2002 comes close to that many at OT/DT being taken off the board (at 5). Reminds me of the year that we desperately needed a RB, and just 2-3 spots in front of us the Vikings take AP. We get Marshawn. :(

Very unlucky indeed...but when was the last time teams in the top 10 drafted who they were "expected" to draft? I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one "Darrius Heyward-Bey" picks or at least a "Tyson Jackson" pick. :lol:

We're unlucky because of the TBD draft paradox. No matter what year, no matter how good the class, no matter what teams have what needs before us, its always the same according to TBD:

When the Bills pick at position N, there will always be (N-1) sure fire, can't miss prospects.

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

The Bills are not unlucky, they are just stupid.

They wouldn't have a gaping hole at LT if they had not passed on drafting the Pro Bowl caliber LT Ryan Clady in favor of the oft iinjured, never effective CB McElvin.

Every year it feels like the Bills are always one or two picks away from difference makers.

IMO the draft has six elite prospects. Suh, McCoy, and Berry are the best bets on defense. Bradford, Okung, and Spiller are the best bets on offense.

It looks like Spiller is the only one who could fall to us and obviously not our top need. If the Bills subscribe to take the best player available, he gets picked.

No, actually they aren't. They are an prime example of why you stockpile talent by taking the best player available. That is how you create team strengths.

The OP makes some good points. But it can easily be argued that the Bills have had plenty of excellent options when it came time to make there selection. In the past five years, here are guys who would've filled a need that the Bills actually passed on with their first pick:

2009: Oher, Orakpo

2008: Dominique Rogers-Cromartie

2007: John Beason

2006: Haloti Ngata

2005: Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork

The draft is a risky crapshoot at best. Every team experiences some bad luck when drafting.

The Bills are not unlucky, they are just stupid.

They wouldn't have a gaping hole at LT if they had not passed on drafting the Pro Bowl caliber LT Ryan Clady in favor of the oft iinjured, never effective CB McElvin.

Hey you are being a negative Bills fan, there buddy. :lol:

Doesn't matter who is available, they pick the wrong person even when the right one is there. It's not bad luck.

It's incompetence.

I'm not going to disagree with that, they have certainly had their share of incompetence. Luck most definately has a hand in draft success as well.

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

Who cares about what a "mock draft" has. They never happen how all these people with nothing better to do dream them up anyway...

No, actually they aren't. They are an prime example of why you stockpile talent by taking the best player available. That is how you create team strengths.

Hopefully, that starts this year. There has to be that "I can't believe we have the chance to draft this guy" feeling at every pick. Drafting purely for need gets you into trouble by overdrafting players by position instead of by quality.

The first pick HAS to make an impact. Maybe it should be Spiller. Seriously, that sounds nuts but if three OT's, 2 QB's and two or more DT's go before #9 the #1 RB on the Bills board is probably still available and so might the #1 LB. or DE.

Hmmm, where's Marshawn????

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

How unlucky are we that potentially 6 of the top 8 teams in front of us are drafting at our greatest need? I looked back over the last decade of NFL drafts and only one year, 2002 comes close to that many at OT/DT being taken off the board (at 5). Reminds me of the year that we desperately needed a RB, and just 2-3 spots in front of us the Vikings take AP. We get Marshawn. :(

I hate to say it, but that is why I was so bleep when the Bills won a game near the end of the season...they were in line for like the 5th pick until that point. The Bills are just unlucky because they get in their own way and the organization hasn't

had the right people in management the past decade or so. I can't tell you if the people that are new are going to do better...I am glad for now they are different except for Tom Modrak...I know he had a decade to prove himself and it

concerns me that he managed to escape the wrath that D.J., The assistant coaches, and John Guy got when they were released. The good teams generally stay good for the long term when the organizational structure is solid. That applies to business as well as football...Mc Donalds Corporation, Walmart, New England Patriots, Indianapolis Colts, and the Pittsburgh Steelers year in and year out put a competitive team that has a chance deep into the year every year! Then there is Circuit City, GM, and the Buffalo Bills that try to do things there own way in contrast to what other successful businesses do. They keep repeating their same mistakes without ever learning their lesson until one day they are gone!!!

:doh: