Why are the Bills so unlucky?

nemhoff

maybe we could trade with the browns to leap frog oakland. magini is always open trading and last year proves it may not cost us too many picks

Why would anyone waste a draft pick because they think Oakland will do something smart? JMO

You can look at the Bills being unlucky this year or you can look at them being very lucky. DT and OT are the deepest positions in this draft. JMO

Doesn't matter who is available, they pick the wrong person even when the right one is there. It's not bad luck.

It's incompetence.

It really was!

Donte Whitner was the 56th rated player on the board and they took him at the #9 pick, the Saints took Roman Harper in the 2nd with the 43rd pick that year.

They coulda had-Jay Cutler-Haloti Ngata-Antonio Cromartie-Davin Joseph-DeAngelo Willams-Nick Mangold-Joseph Addai and countless others like Brandon Marshall-Elvis Dumervil-Owen Daniels...

The Colts took Antoine Bethea in the 6th round

Not to mention, good thing they traded up to get John McCargo at 26 in the first round...

The amount of ineptitude and incompetence of the Jauron era Bills almost reached Matt Millen proportions.Good thing RW fired Polian... :(

Hopefully, that starts this year. There has to be that "I can't believe we have the chance to draft this guy" feeling at every pick. Drafting purely for need gets you into trouble by overdrafting players by position instead of by quality.

The first pick HAS to make an impact. Maybe it should be Spiller. Seriously, that sounds nuts but if three OT's, 2 QB's and two or more DT's go before #9 the #1 RB on the Bills board is probably still available and so might the #1 LB. or DE.

Hmmm, where's Marshawn????

wasting premium picks on RBs, CBs and WRs is why this team has missed the playoffs for a decade.

Fred is a playmaker and Lynch is a capable backup with no trade value. pick a RB in the 3rd or 4th round or pick up a free agent castoff who cost his old team too much money.

Better to spend the premium picks on the front 7 and OL

Doesn't matter who is available, they pick the wrong person even when the right one is there. It's not bad luck.

It's incompetence.

Exactly. You could make an All Pro team out of the guys the Bills have passed on over the last decade in the first round.

We need, among other things, OT and DT - usually picking at 9 would get you an elite prospect at one of those positions (maybe second best off the board). Not this year, most mocks have something like this ahead of us:

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

How unlucky are we that potentially 6 of the top 8 teams in front of us are drafting at our greatest need? I looked back over the last decade of NFL drafts and only one year, 2002 comes close to that many at OT/DT being taken off the board (at 5). Reminds me of the year that we desperately needed a RB, and just 2-3 spots in front of us the Vikings take AP. We get Marshawn. :(

I would love to know if there has ever been an NFL draft that 6-7 of the top ten picks were OT/DT

Are the year we needed a QB and the only thing we ended up holding the jock strap of J.P. Losman minus a 1st round pick next year.

It's incompetence.

Agreed. The Warning signs are out there. The choices they have made have more often not worked than been successful.

One big thing towards success or failure of these failures is lack of continuity. This team has not had an OC/DC intact for a few years to let the players learn the system and excel in it.

Trent Edwards in his three seasons has had three OCs. JP Losman had 3 OC in his tenure. I believe Mike Williams had 3 different OL coaches during his 4 year tenure.....

Without continuity, there is no chance for these players to peak.

We need, among other things, OT and DT - usually picking at 9 would get you an elite prospect at one of those positions (maybe second best off the board). Not this year, most mocks have something like this ahead of us:

Suh

McCoy (DT)

Baluga

Williams

Okung

Davis

How unlucky are we that potentially 6 of the top 8 teams in front of us are drafting at our greatest need? I looked back over the last decade of NFL drafts and only one year, 2002 comes close to that many at OT/DT being taken off the board (at 5). Reminds me of the year that we desperately needed a RB, and just 2-3 spots in front of us the Vikings take AP. We get Marshawn. :(

I would love to know if there has ever been an NFL draft that 6-7 of the top ten picks were OT/DT

We're not unlucky, we're lucky. This happens to be a year where there are three or four LTs who deserve top ten grades. In a year where we need LTs, that's good luck. There is an excellent chance one or two of those guys will drop to us. Then, assuming the two QBs are gone, we will likely take an LT. If we don't take one, it will be clear that we don't consider him good enough.

Every year there are always two or three players above us who would be good for us. That's just football and the draft, every team except the top three or so is saying "Man, I wish we could get A, B or C, but they'll be gone."

It really was!

Donte Whitner was the 56th rated player on the board and they took him at the #9 pick, the Saints took Roman Harper in the 2nd with the 43rd pick that year.

They coulda had-Jay Cutler-Haloti Ngata-Antonio Cromartie-Davin Joseph-DeAngelo Willams-Nick Mangold-Joseph Addai and countless others like Brandon Marshall-Elvis Dumervil-Owen Daniels...

The Colts took Antoine Bethea in the 6th round

Not to mention, good thing they traded up to get John McCargo at 26 in the first round...

The amount of ineptitude and incompetence of the Jauron era Bills almost reached Matt Millen proportions.Good thing RW fired Polian... :(

Where are you getting 56? Most people had Donte going in the mid-twenties, though a few had him early in the 2nd.

Where are you getting 56? Most people had Donte going in the mid-twenties, though a few had him early in the 2nd.
56 is around mid to late 2nd round...

They could have drafted him in the second round and John McCargo in the 3rd, kinda sad the scouting department / coaching staff was so inept.