McNabb to the Bills for Picks?

I think it makes sense if the price is right. With the price seemingly falling and the Bills saying they want to settle the QB situation before the draft I think it's a distict possibility we see something happen. Settling the QB situation before the draft tells me that they're not going to name a starter from the guys already on the roster (why would you not have a competition in camp if nobody is substantially better than the others?), nor do they intend to draft a rookie and play him his rookie season (how does drafting and lanning on playing a new kid settle your QB situation? It doesn't).

We have NOBODY on our roster who is a starting caliber QB. If we draft a QB to groom (as we should, doesn't have to be first round), he needs some time to develop - with the junk we have on the roster there will be all sorts of pressure to get the rookie to play and nobody to mentor him UNLESS you get vet for the short term who is halfway decent.

Now if we had all the other pieces in place we could draft a first round QB and let him see some playing time this year, but that's not where we are. You'll ruin a rookie by throwing him in for his rookie season and not giving him a line or receivers to help him out - he'll have PTSD by the bye week....

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McNabb for a conditional third. The Bill's third round pick this year...then if the Bills make the playoffs (with McNabb playing the majority of their games) they get next year's second, or if the Bills have a winning record (with McNabb playing the majority of their games) they get our next year's third. That is the MOST I would offer the Eagles for about the tenth best QB in the NFL with injury issues and who has only about two productive years left.

Excellent offer....

I think they'll move Vick, let McNabb start for 2 more years, then hand over the reins to Kolb. It would take some creative contract negotiations next year to make it happen, but they can afford to wait and see what happens with the CBA.

Did you read the fine print? They can not have both on the roster after next year unless they are both signed to big deals.

Wrong, I think Andy's love affair with McNabb is over and would trade him away, who would have thought they would simply release Brian Westbrook?

The ONLY reason McNabb is not coming to Buffalo is because he has a no trade clause in his contract, which doesn't mean he can't be traded. It means he has the right to refuse any trade to a team he doesn't want to play for, the man would be an utter fool to come to Buffalo at this point in his career, he wants a ring and to play for a decent team!!

actually your points are wrong

it was obvious to everyone that Westbrook was going to be released...he has been having problems with his knee then the concussions this past year that may prevent him from even playing again and when you add in the fact that he was due 7.5 mil this season made it a no brainer to cut him

McNabb does not have a no trade clause....he is in the final year of his deal and any team trading for him would obviously want to lock him up for a few years so he does have some control here but it isnt a no trade clause

How do we build a new team by trading draft picks for a veteran QB??

I mean, sure, McNabb's a gamer but I just don't see how trading needed picks for a mid-30's QB will turn the fortunes of the team around.

I would like to win now...tired of rebuilding. I mean if they are going to rebuild then lower the cost of tickets to continue to watch an inferior product. 10 years of rebuilding, enough is enough...McNabb has plenty left...he is 7 years younger than Farve and a half year younger than Manning...

Hes 33, hasnt missed only 4 games in the past 3 years.... and hes the saem age as tom brady and manning... both of whom had knee surgeries like mcnabb. so what injury issues are you referencing?

People, and especially NFL players, age differently. McNabb's body in general looks to be about 6 years older than either Brady or Manning. It could be the genes or it could be that McNabb spent a good portion of his early career running the ball and taking hits. McNabb does not look like a guy who will be starting in the NFL in three years time.

McNabb for a conditional third. The Bill's third round pick this year...then if the Bills make the playoffs (with McNabb playing the majority of their games) they get next year's second, or if the Bills have a winning record (with McNabb playing the majority of their games) they get our next year's third. That is the MOST I would offer the Eagles for about the tenth best QB in the NFL with injury issues and who has only about two productive years left.

Seriously I think this is still too much

I mean, sure, McNabb's a gamer but I just don't see how trading needed picks for a mid-30's QB will turn the fortunes of the team around.

I agree. I like McNabb, but if McNabb can't win in Philadelphia which has a good amount of talent, what makes anyone think he'll win in Buffalo? There are too many holes to be wasting picks on a QB past his prime.

I agree. I like McNabb, but if McNabb can't win in Philadelphia which has a good amount of talent, what makes anyone think he'll win in Buffalo? There are too many holes to be wasting picks on a QB past his prime.

He brought his team to the playoffs more than 8 times, 4 consecutive NFC Championships, has had terrible receivers at times (unless you consider hank Baskett, Freddy Mitchell good ones).

When was the last time teh Bills have a winning season, let alone playoffs?

I like Chan's attitued. He wants to win, and win now. No more of this rebuilding crap.

Outside of a 1st round pick to get a LT, what picks do we really need? It's not like rds 2-7 have any guaranteed pro-bowlers. Why not trade for a guy who might have 3-5 years left and give the team a ligit shot at the playoffs, instead of hoarding picks so that we can win 3-4 games next year?

PS: Gailey saying he wants the QB settled before the draft indicates he wants someone other than the current 3 & does not want to go to camp with the open QB competition. I don't know if he's thinking McNabb or someone else, but he's not thinking his QB will be named Trent, Ryan or Brian.

AGREE...AGREE...AGREE...when did a 33-yr old qb become "old"??? Did anyone see a decline in McNabb"s #'s??? He has a lot to prove and at least 5 more years in the proverbial tank IMO!

He brought his team to the playoffs more than 8 times, 4 consecutive NFC Championships, has had terrible receivers at times (unless you consider hank Baskett, Freddy Mitchell good ones).

And Buffalo has less talent than Philly...so unless McNabb can block for himself and somehow catch his own passes, mortgaging the future to "win now" (which they might not do anyway) is not going to solve the problem. We went down the same dead end road with Bledsoe.

Where do you get this "win now" stuff anyway? Nix has already said this is a multi-year rebuilding effort.

And Buffalo has less talent than Philly...so unless McNabb can block for himself and somehow catch his own passes, mortgaging the future to "win now" (which they might not do anyway) is not going to solve the problem. We went down the same dead end road with Bledsoe.

Where do you get this "win now" stuff anyway? Nix has already said this is a multi-year rebuilding effort.

I don't know if I would characterize trading a second or third round pick for a good QB as "mortgaging the future".

Im surprised that no one has brought up the comparisons of bringing in an aging Bledsoe.

I think it could be a good move as long as we have a replacement in mind - and the price is less than a 2nd rounder.

they are talking it up on the local tony bruno show here in philly and they believe the Bills are big time players in this possible deal...they are also blasting the hell out of the bills as well....it was painful to listen to....sadly we have no defense to argue their venom....

they are talking it up on the local tony bruno show here in philly and they believe the Bills are big time players in this possible deal...they are also blasting the hell out of the bills as well....it was painful to listen to....sadly we have no defense to argue their venom....

how were they blasting the Bills? Cuz we would be getting their QB?

Tell that multi year rebuilding to the people that have to still pay full price for tickets. Each year should be looked at as a win now year.

So you wouldn't trade your 2nd and 3rd round picks for Donavan McNabb, huh? I'd do it in a heart beat. I would make the trade, then trade Trent Edwards for whatever draft pick I could get back. That would give me an extra 4th or 5th round pick to make up for losing my 3rd rounder. In the draft, I trade my #9 pick down for a late first rounder to gain my 2nd round pick back, since there are a lot of talented linemen in this year's draft anyway. If I'm as good a talent evaluator as Buddy Nix is said to be, I should still be able to build some talent around McNabb in this years' draft picking later in the first round, later in the 2nd round, and losing my 3rd rounder for a second 4th or 5th rounder in my Edwards trade.