Why are we down on Brohm?

That argument goes both ways - it's not very common for teams to add a QB at that point because quality QBs that teams see value in having on their roster are not often cut at that point.

Here's a list of the final roster cuts. If you look at the QBs, that's not a group Brohm wants to be associated with:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/32714871/ns/sports-nfl/

One of them was Brooks Bollinger-the guy had an MVP season!

There's hope for Brohm***

***- in the UFL

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, you dont have a clue about the acutal scope of the REAL situation surrounding his placement on the PS and just ignorantly spout off at the hip about it all over this board and the shout box...find a new tune to sing, preferably one you actually know something about this time...

The real situation is GB waived a former 2nd round pick, and not one other team claimed him. If they cared about losing him, they wouldn't have waived him. You can spin it any way you like, but the bottom line is last September GB could have cared less if they lost Brohm. Any team that waives a guy one year removed from the 2nd round expects him to be claimed & doesn't care. You have NO evidence that GB tried to match the Bills offer hoping to trade Brohm (a guy nobody in September wanted for free) in the offseason. It's much more logical to think they wanted their 3rd string insurance to know their system than it is to dream up some trade scenario about a player nobody else wanted off of waivers.

He was considered a good prospect coming out. It appears he has the arm and the smarts. I think I read somewhere about a confidence problem. So by process of elimination I guess it's that or attitude. And it's always possible a different environment or experience could rectify that.

link to college highlights:

What has he done to be "up" on him? He was cut and cleared waivers meaning every NFL team including the Bills passed on him before he was put on the practice squad. How many second round picks get cut in their second year? The ones with no future in the NFL.

In order to be placed on the practice squad, you have to be released and clear waivers. Nobody claimed him.

While on the practice squad, you can be signed by any team. No team signed him for ten weeks until the Bills did.

So, it's a lot more than MacCarthy passing on him. Every team in the NFL in essence said they didn't want him on their roster.

Another view:

1. He was released at the final cut deadline. Most teams have their roster set so it is common that younger players that get released at final cuts end up on their teams PS, not someone elses. There is very little movement of players after final cuts, epsecially young QB's which require a whole off-season of study to understand a system.

2. While on Practice squad you can be signed by any other team ... but only if that team puts you on their 53 man roster. Again, a rare move for a young QB because of the learning curve.

3. My points are intended to imply that just because he was on a practice squad and not pick up by another team, does not mean that the entire league thinks he is not a good prospect.

Another view:

1. He was released at the final cut deadline. Most teams have their roster set so it is common that younger players that get released at final cuts end up on their teams PS, not someone elses. There is very little movement of players after final cuts, epsecially young QB's which require a whole off-season of study to understand a system.

2. While on Practice squad you can be signed by any other team ... but only if that team puts you on their 53 man roster. Again, a rare move for a young QB because of the learning curve.

3. My points are intended to imply that just because he was on a practice squad and not pick up by another team, does not mean that the entire league thinks he is not a good prospect.

Exactly...been trying to get this acrossed to some of these people for awhile now. All they see is PS and make all these assumptions because they dont understand the scope of the situation, the PS, etc.

Brohm at this point has as much upside as any QB in this draft, and actually has a head start on them. Yet they want to run him out of town because they dont really know anything other than he was a young player on a PS...

Another view:

^^

This.

Best wishes, Brian!

Lets get this clear...one, you are probably the last person that should be involved in this thread since you have admited several times you dont know anything about Brohm and all your claims and points about him are assumptions based on the fact he was on a PS.

Second, He didnt lose out to the 3rd string QB. Brohm and Flynn were drafted in the same year to back up Rodgers...Flynn adjusted to the speed of the game faster so they went with Flynn when they were both rookies because they felt Flynn was more READY to play. Then this past year, Brohm was a year behind Flynn who was entrenched as the back up as GB loves Flynn and has said so many times.

With all of GB's other needs that couldnt carry 3 active QB's...they were not going to put the guy that was more ready to play in their system, Flynn, on the PS just to hope to keep Brohm based on potential. Brohm never had a chance to beat out Flynn because GB loves Flynn and had him entrenched as the 2nd QB. All Brohm was ever doing in preseason was auditioning for a trade, and when he struggled that idea fizzled out. So they stashed him on the PS hoping no one would grab him so they could develop him more in hopes of trading him this offseason. That is also why they tried to match the offer, so they could keep him and trade him later...not because they wanted him to beat out Flynn.

But, you dont have a clue about the acutal scope of the REAL situation surrounding his placement on the PS and just ignorantly spout off at the hip about it all over this board and the shout box...find a new tune to sing, preferably one you actually know something about this time...

- Amen i couldn't have said it better. I was actually getting angry with how dumb some people on this board are.

Thanks!

The real situation is GB waived a former 2nd round pick, and not one other team claimed him. If they cared about losing him, they wouldn't have waived him. You can spin it any way you like, but the bottom line is last September GB could have cared less if they lost Brohm. Any team that waives a guy one year removed from the 2nd round expects him to be claimed & doesn't care. You have NO evidence that GB tried to match the Bills offer hoping to trade Brohm (a guy nobody in September wanted for free) in the offseason. It's much more logical to think they wanted their 3rd string insurance to know their system than it is to dream up some trade scenario about a player nobody else wanted off of waivers.

Give it up, he whines like a girl about my bashing of Brohm when 31 other teams thought he sucked as well or in this QB starved league someone would have bid against us for him. But hey, the poster is too busy with his mancrush to see FACTS.

The guy is a !@#$ing 3rd stringer in the NFL. Only Desperate Bills fans would even think of making a PS player out to be our franchise savior. BTW in his only apperance he put up a horrible showing. Gee, big shock there.

Another view:

Good points. I wish Brohm good luck this off-season. IMO, he has enough upside to surprise some people on this board...

Give it up, he whines like a girl about my bashing of Brohm when 31 other teams thought he sucked as well or in this QB starved league someone would have bid against us for him. But hey, the poster is too busy with his mancrush to see FACTS.

The guy is a !@#$ing 3rd stringer in the NFL. Only Desperate Bills fans would even think of making a PS player out to be our franchise savior. BTW in his only apperance he put up a horrible showing. Gee, big shock there.

If I remember correctly, his numbers didn't seem that much worse than an average Fitzpatrick game. Not to bash Fitzy, but Brohm held his own for someone who barely had any time to learn the playbook and practice with the first team.

The only thing not mentioned is Brohm was on a contract for a 2nd rounder. In early September, after you made all your tough cuts, an $800,000 waiver claim on a question mark might be tough to do.

Of course, it doesn't explain why he festered for 10 weeks. Nobody expects him to be the next Kurt Warner.

The only thing not mentioned is Brohm was on a contract for a 2nd rounder. In early September, after you made all your tough cuts, an $800,000 waiver claim on a question mark might be tough to do.

Of course, it doesn't explain why he festered for 10 weeks. Nobody expects him to be the next Kurt Warner.

Nobody expected Kurt Warner to be the next Kurt Warner either. Vermeil was surprised, lucky, and very happy.

Need I mention Brady?

I don't know if Brohm will be good or not. I would like to see Gailey give him a chance. Thats all.

In order to be placed on the practice squad, you have to be released and clear waivers. Nobody claimed him.

While on the practice squad, you can be signed by any team. No team signed him for ten weeks until the Bills did.

So, it's a lot more than MacCarthy passing on him. Every team in the NFL in essence said they didn't want him on their roster.

Exactly. I think it is one of those cases, kinda like Losman where you can excel in college on physical ability alone, but once you get to the NFL you need the entire package (physical, mental, reactional, decision making, etc.). Like many of college QBs in the past and many more in the future, they don't have what it takes to make it in the NFL.

If I remember correctly, his numbers didn't seem that much worse than an average Fitzpatrick game. Not to bash Fitzy, but Brohm held his own for someone who barely had any time to learn the playbook and practice with the first team.

That's simply not true from most ways to measure QB production.

In the 9 games Fitzpatrick played the majority of, the Bills scored (from all sources, O, D, ST) 161 points, an average of almost 18 points a game. High 31, low 10. In the 1 Brohm game, the Bills scored 3 points.

The remainder of stats include all of Fitzpatrick's games:

Fitzpatrick ave yds per pass attempt 6.3; Brohm 5.0

TD/INT Fitzpatrick 9/10; Brohm 0/2

The stat I hate but a lot of you love: QB Rating Fitzpatrick 69.7; Brohm 43.2

The only measurable Brohm was close with Fitzpatrick (and exceeded him by 2.67%) was completion % Brohm 58.62%; Fitzpatrick 55.95%

Of all the measurables, the most important one is how many points the team scores. Fitzpatrick's Bills averaged nearly 6 times the points scored in Brohm's game.

Until Brohm can prove he can get his team in the endzone at least once, I'll remain skeptical of his chances.

Not saying the guy will be good, but why are we to assume he won't?

Because Mike McCarthy, god of all that which is QB, put him on the practice squad?

Is that really the reason?

Because the guy couldn't even beat out Aaron Rodgers as starting QB. What a freakin' bum. How obvious.

<_<

And add to the fact the RUSS BRANDON led personnel department is who brought him in. To me that is the biggest red flag of them all.

Maybe Nix told him to sign him. I don't understand why Green Bay tried to match Buffalos offer after we offered Brohm a contract. You think because he was a second round draft choice on there practice sqaud they wouldn't do that. Maybe thats why teams didn't try to sign him, because they knew Green Bay would match there offer. Who knows. Green Bay only keeps two QBs on there active roster.