Quick legal question

DC Tom

Need to confirm a suspicion I have, and all my attorney friends are asleep by now.

The situation: two boys, brothers, not delinquents, just idiots, caught shoplifting in a Wal-Mart (Let's say candy bars. Small stuff, no big-ticket items.) Wal-Mart catches them, calls the boys' mother and tells her to come get them. When she arrives, Wal-Mart (presumably the store manager) tells her that if she does not pay them two thousand dollars to cover "damages" (keeping in mind that no merchandise left the store and nothing else was damaged) by the end of next month they're going to have her arrested (they did not specify for what).

They can't actually do that, can they?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to confirm a suspicion I have, and all my attorney friends are asleep by now.

The situation: two boys, brothers, not delinquents, just idiots, caught shoplifting in a Wal-Mart (Let's say candy bars. Small stuff, no big-ticket items.) Wal-Mart catches them, calls the boys' mother and tells her to come get them. When she arrives, Wal-Mart (presumably the store manager) tells her that if she does not pay them two thousand dollars to cover "damages" (keeping in mind that no merchandise left the store and nothing else was damaged) by the end of next month they're going to have her arrested (they did not specify for what).

I'm no lawyer, but I seriously doubt it.

If I'm the mother in this scenario, my response would be something akin to: "May I borrow a quarter? I'd like to call the police myself."

You already know the answer to this.

I'll be staying at a Holiday Inn Express next week, so I'll let you know later.

Seriously though, $2K for "damages"? Walmart needs to concentrate on other issues with their company like keeping people off the overhead paging system. I worked at one store where we had lists of extensions at each phone on the sales floor, including overhead page. They were taken down the day a customer used one to page that they needed help in one department.

If she doesn't have evidence (tape recording) of the manager saying it then I would just let it go. I can't see what they would arrest her for, the boys maybe, but not her.

I would tell her to avoid going to Walmart anymore, but beyond that, I wouldn't worry about it. Call a lawyer is the best advice you could give them.

Holy !@#$ing ****. Is this a major first here? Tom doesn't know the answer to something. Please, mark the date. :worthy:

What is more suprising is that he came here for an answer.

No. This is extortion, plain and simple. If this goes any further, she should get an attorney and let that person take over.

So, WHO are the 2 boys?

Niece's sons. Couple of dumbasses.

No. This is extortion, plain and simple. If this goes any further, she should get an attorney and let that person take over.

That's exactly what I thought. Just wanted to be sure.

I got on the phone with that manager this morning, claimed to be a lawyer and bullied him. I told him that the boys would pay him damages equal to triple the cost of what they tried to lift, and if he wanted to claim any more damages he could file suit like the rest of the world has to. But there was no way in hell anyone was going to pay his overhead costs (he said the $2k was to cover his "extra" security costs related to the shoplifting :worthy:) or pay him protection money.

My niece can't afford an attorney (aforementioned wife's niece, who's basically indigent). I honestly suspect he's just trying to prey on an easy mark - I'd bet this isn't the first time he's tried this nonsense, and I bet it actually works sometimes.

And in case anyone's wondering, the boys are in for a world of **** for this. They're coming to live with me this summer; they WILL work their asses off for me for this - new roof on my workshop, new deck, landscape the back yard. Anyone in the DC area need any teenage slave labor this summer, drop me a line... :flirt:

That's exactly what I thought. Just wanted to be sure.

I got on the phone with that manager this morning, claimed to be a lawyer and bullied him. I told him that the boys would pay him damages equal to triple the cost of what they tried to lift, and if he wanted to claim any more damages he could file suit like the rest of the world has to. But there was no way in hell anyone was going to pay his overhead costs (he said the $2k was to cover his "extra" security costs related to the shoplifting :worthy:) or pay him protection money.

My niece can't afford an attorney (aforementioned wife's niece, who's basically indigent). I honestly suspect he's just trying to prey on an easy mark - I'd bet this isn't the first time he's tried this nonsense, and I bet it actually works sometimes.

And in case anyone's wondering, the boys are in for a world of **** for this. They're coming to live with me this summer; they WILL work their asses off for me for this - new roof on my workshop, new deck, landscape the back yard. Anyone in the DC area need any teenage slave labor this summer, drop me a line... :flirt:

Are you going to let the boys drive the Gran Torino?

I would call the police myself and the manager arrested for attempted extortion.

I would call the police myself and the manager arrested for attempted extortion.

Without a recording of the guy saying it, it's a classic "he said, she said" and it will go nowhere. If anything calling the police will result in having the "boys" arrested.

Hope they do not turn you in for child labor laws violations this summer. :worthy:

Hope they do not turn you in for child labor laws violations this summer. :blink:

Ya... Who would have thunk Tom be turning his place into Maggie's farm! ;)

Ain't gonna work on DCTom's farm no more.

No, I ain't gonna work on DCTom's farm no more.

Well, I wake in the morning,

Fold my hands and pray for rain.

I got a head full of ideas

That are drivin' me insane.

It's a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor.

I ain't gonna work on DCTom's farm no more.

Good luck Tom! Give it the old college try! :worthy::flirt: This ain't 1935 let alone 1965 anymore... You got your work cut out for you by trying to reform them!

:D