The Marketing Genius of the Buffalo Bills

McClane

It's not just the marketing angle which is subpar, but the communications department as well. There was the question of whether DJ received an extension, Peters' hold out, RW's ring ceremony being cancelled late, the team photo, Nix' press conference, and a litany of other more minor issues. It almost seems like a banana republic masquerading as legitimate country surrounded by developed nations.

I can't speak for other teams, but my sense remains that anything coming from OBD is tightly controlled. Even still, it's not as professional as I'd expect from a NFL franchise. Scott Berchtold seems to be in over his head as well, but it may be he's dealing with Ralph/Littman and others who give him a crap sandwich to deal with.

Well we got a punter that can run a 4.4 forty and boot it 80 yards...sweeeeeeeeeeeeet...maybe he's our Franchise QB and we just don't know it...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Scrambler like Vick????...he can probably throw it better than Tebow...c'mon give em a shot coach!

Moorman was our MVP, wasn't he ?

They should have had a picture of Dick Jauron walking out of the building with a box of his personal belongings.

I was at that game and I fell asleep. 1 hour drive to the airport, one hour flight, weekend in B-Lo in prep for the game, all excited to be there for my one trip of the year...fell asleep in the 3rd quarter. what's worse is that the game was so bad that there was no noise to wake me, and when I finally woke myself up, I hadn't missed anything.

Well we got a punter that can run a 4.4 forty and boot it 80 yards...sweeeeeeeeeeeeet...maybe he's our Franchise QB and we just don't know it...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Scrambler like Vick????...he can probably throw it better than Tebow...c'mon give em a shot coach!

Why shouldn't the Bills advertise Moorman? He is on the field the most of all players, been to the pro-bowl the most and the scene of having to punt out of the Bill's end zone is so appropriate. Over the past seven seasons the Bills haven't ranked higher than 25th on offense and last year finished in 30th-place - so that shot is a very honest portrayal.

The folks at the I-Love-NY campaign couldn't have done it any better. Now all we need in the picture are some of our government representatives (the laughingstock of the nation), a copy of an average New Yorker's tax bill and some moving vans - showing businesses leaving NY (not so funny) - and we will be ready for Saturday Night Live. :w00t:

The most disgusting point that everyone is missing is that you can clearly see on the scoreboard the names and logos of major sponsors, so this was not just marketing tickets to you, they're using product placement as well, probably as stipulated in the contracts with these sponsors. More proof that the NFL is becoming a turd faster than Aaron Maybin and reasons I get less and less excited about football. I haven't renewed my seats and I haven't got that sweet pic yet either.

Someone noted that they also received this photo, except it had their own name listed on the scoreboard. I guess the whole point of the photo was not to display the great football being played, but rather to use the marketing gimmick of a photo showing a real NFL play with YOUR NAME on the scoreboard in the background. If that was the point, then they had to use a photo taken from an endzone, in order to get the scoreboard in the shot.

Still, you would have thought they could have found, after much digging, a photo of a receiver about to catch a ball, with the scoreboard in the background, that they could use to display the season ticket holder's name on the scoreboard.

It's not just the marketing angle which is subpar, but the communications department as well. There was the question of whether DJ received an extension, Peters' hold out, RW's ring ceremony being cancelled late, the team photo, Nix' press conference, and a litany of other more minor issues. It almost seems like a banana republic masquerading as legitimate country surrounded by developed nations.

I can't speak for other teams, but my sense remains that anything coming from OBD is tightly controlled. Even still, it's not as professional as I'd expect from a NFL franchise. Scott Berchtold seems to be in over his head as well, but it may be he's dealing with Ralph/Littman and others who give him a crap sandwich to deal with.

A very second rate organization and a very insulated organization. Ralph has always played it close to the vest and kept his loyal minions around him as his buffer to the real world. When you have an atmosphere of "group think" then you won't ever feel uncomfortable when challenged by an "outside" critic.

If there is a little glimmer of hope I liked Nix bringing in Whaley from the Steelers to work in the front office. A fresh set of eyes and hopefully a more professional way of doing business.

The most disgusting point that everyone is missing is that you can clearly see on the scoreboard the names and logos of major sponsors, so this was not just marketing tickets to you, they're using product placement as well, probably as stipulated in the contracts with these sponsors.

Those are the same ads you would see at a game, so that part of the picture is not altered. I did noticed this time where the score/etc normally is, is that Amy Sullivan can save $64 by renewing before April 6th.

Someone noted that they also received this photo, except it had their own name listed on the scoreboard.

That was me.

Bruce Arthur's retweet is exactly where I got it from..

Yeah, he saw it on my feed and retweeted it from the original poster, @thekickisgood who is a Mike Sullivan. (I'm guessing Amy's husband or brother.) He originally sent it to Adam Schefter, Profootballtalk and myself. I'm kind of honored to be in that group. Haha.

It's something that has pissed me off for a few years now. Completely discounting the product they put on the field (which is already discounted) the Bills are probably the least professional organization in the world of professional sports. Their marketing and graphic design departments are atrocious and would be fired daily if they worked outside of Ralphy's world.

I'm sure you've all seen the email blitzes they send out, they're as well designed as Perry Fewell's. They're atrocious. One announcing the New Era hat & cap package was so horribly designed that it gave me a headache. I'd get into the design of the 50th season logo compared to the other teams but I don't want to bore you, just realize it was incredibly pathetic.

But I still think that the best reflection of the Bills organization is their online pro-shop. Compare this: http://www.buffalobillsproshop.com to http://shop.redskins.com, http://jaguars.teamfanshop.com, http://proshopcache.patriots.com/ I've also seen emails and images come from the pro-shop where they couldn't properly cut a tshirt or logo out from its background.

The season ticket department is no better. Two seasons ago I got an email from them about an hour after the first Toronto debacle asking me if I was interested in season tickets. Firing back a heavy sarcastic email I said yes, as long as they move more games to Canada and allow the fans to make some of the play-calls. The STD took this as a sign that I was actually interested and assigned someone to me to try and get me to buy tickets. All summer long I received emails from him probably once or twice a week. The second they signed TO there was an email saying "now is the time to buy, tickets will be gone soon." As the deadline for seasons approached the emails increased to an almost daily occurrence. Finally they stopped... until a couple of weeks ago when I got my first one of this offseason.

the "awating your return" line is obviously the reason that they used that particular picture....they are punting...and literally "awaiting your return"

IMO...if they wanted to use that line cleverly...they should have used a photo of lindell lining up for a kick-off instead...

Would have meant that we just scored or it was the beginning of the game and the bills wern't losing yet haha

Those who seek misery from the Buffalo Bills are rarely disappointed.

PTR

Sorry, that needed to be edited, and I couldn't resist. With a 50 year body of work like this franchise has to pick from, how could we not?

The timing and content of the Bills marketing materials boggles the mind. Whenever I get one my first question is usually, "Do these people live in a world where they don't actually get to SEE the Bills play?"

My favorite was in December 2008, fresh off another ugly loss to Miami, a 16-3 defeat in Toronto (hard to say it was one of the ugliest because there have been so many ugly losses recently). I get an e-mail from the Bills Pro Shop that tell me to "Show Your Team Spirit!" My thought was that either the e-mail was a joke or they were announcing some sort of new Dick Jauron voodoo doll going on sale...

Team spirit - I got your team spirit right here.......

The timing and content of the Bills marketing materials boggles the mind. Whenever I get one my first question is usually, "Do these people live in a world where they don't actually get to SEE the Bills play?"

My favorite was in December 2008, fresh off another ugly loss to Miami, a 16-3 defeat in Toronto (hard to say it was one of the ugliest because there have been so many ugly losses recently). I get an e-mail from the Bills Pro Shop that tell me to "Show Your Team Spirit!" My thought was that either the e-mail was a joke or they were announcing some sort of new Dick Jauron voodoo doll going on sale...

Team spirit - I got your team spirit right here.......

:worthy:

Did you ever think that giving them your email address so they could add you to their database was all they wanted from you? :doh:

I told him in the very first reply that I was not interested in purchasing season tickets and under no circumstances was I going to purchase them and would they please stop contacting me about them.

:beer::ph34r::worthy::beer: :beer: :beer: