Anyone buying an iPad?

stevestojan

To me the missing killer technology for the next stage consumer electronic device is flexible screen technology - a device like the ipad but something can fold in half - or something much smaller but with an extendable screen

I thought eInk would have done something like that already, but they stuck the substrate in a hard case.

Clearly they were thinking inside the box.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the missing killer technology for the next stage consumer electronic device is flexible screen technology - a device like the ipad but something can fold in half - or something much smaller but with an extendable screen

That would be organic LED (OLED) technology. But it's way too expensive at the present time, and for the foreseeable future.

Well in a complete change of mind, i wrnt and bought the ipad today.... Typing this post on it now. It is freaking awesome. No, it wont replace my laptop, but for what I do 90% of the things I do on my laptop it will work beautifully. Call me an apple fan boy, but man is this thing cool. The iworks software word processor is great, and my work uses GOOD messaging for work email and "there's an app for that". Got it at best buy. Wasn't a freak that waited in line. Walked in a 2:00pm and got it.

My biggest concern was no flash, but thanks to the evil powers of apple, a lot of sites are moving to html4 just for the ipd (CNN included). Also netflix is like watching HD..

Give a better update after a few days of use..

I'll get one or two... after things shake out. We'll see what the 2nd version gives. We know for a fact it has a camera slot in it, it is just empty for the moment.

I think they would be tremendous for the kids and for me and the wife to surf on the couch or in bed. I'm always grabbing my iphone on the couch when watching TV and I think this would be much more comfortable appliance in those situations.

I'll get one or two... after things shake out. We'll see what the 2nd version gives. We know for a fact it has a camera slot in it, it is just empty for the moment.

I think they would be tremendous for the kids and for me and the wife to surf on the couch or in bed. I'm always grabbing my iphone on the couch when watching TV and I think this would be much more comfortable appliance in those situations.

Scott that's exactly what it's perfect for.. Surfing the net while on the couch. Netflix, however was a very nice surprise. Some of the games have better than PS2 graphics as well. The fact I can get work email is just a huge plus.

The iPad is a waste... It costs a ton compared to a netbook (you can find a decent netbook for less than $250!). I don't see the alure on the iPad when compared to that....

It's a dream to use compared to my wife's Dell mini when talking about things it was designed for. I realize it's not a "need" item, but man is it cool.

The iPad is a waste... It costs a ton compared to a netbook (you can find a decent netbook for less than $250!). I don't see the alure on the iPad when compared to that....

Here's a tip. Stay the hell out of Apple product threads. You have ZERO appreciation for anything the company tries to deliver, so don't bother commenting. You don't buy their products, you don't use their products, you have no concept of the value millions of people see in their products. Your opinion is worthless on the topic. Comparing the ipad to a netbook just shows you how asinine your opinion is on the subject.

Here's a tip. Stay the hell out of Apple product threads. You have ZERO appreciation for anything the company tries to deliver, so don't bother commenting. You don't buy their products, you don't use their products, you have no concept of the value millions of people see in their products. Your opinion is worthless on the topic. Comparing the ipad to a netbook just shows you how asinine your opinion is on the subject.

Why should he stay out of apple product threads? It's simply the other end of the spectrum. Do you honestly think that Steve Job's pole polishers have anything constructive to add?

Why should he stay out of apple product threads? It's simply the other end of the spectrum. Do you honestly think that Steve Job's pole polishers have anything constructive to add?

Because he doesn't add pint of pee worth of value. The original poster asked about the community interest in the ipad. After a decade of crapping on every Apple product, there is little need for yet another "look how *cheap* you can buy something that is vaguely similar" post from him. Of course, telling the rest of us that we are wasting our money is just icing on the cake.

Biggest thing I would have liked to see was really good handwriting recognition software. If you could use it, essentially like a legal pad, then have it convert the text/notes and automatically sync to your laptop/desktop or email/text the notes; it could revolutionize meetings. IMO, using a keyboard (virtual or real) is a real clunky way to take notes. Especially when you look at the size, it seems fairly uncomfortable to hold and type. (although maybe there's an app that can so this?)

So, while I think there's tons of potential, I'd say this first version is well short of what it wold take for me to add another piece of hardware to my arsenal.

I went to our campus bookstore on Saturday afternoon and they just got their shipment in. I wasn't planning on buying the 1st gen iPad but after playing with it I couldn't resist. The screen is beautiful, and I'm amazed at how fast I can type on that keyboard. I love being able to flip it on and instantly get e-mail and surf the web from the couch. Total luxury item, but it is nice.

I am not looking to get an Ipad but will be looking at a Mac Mini this evening. I finally started seriously playing with and learning about OS X on my wife's Mac Book. I know Windows 7 is supposed to be a huge step forward for Microsoft but man some of the features with OS X are just too cool to pass up.

I will likely partion the drive so I can run both OS X and Windows as my work has me absolutely tied to Windows. The only issue I have with Apple is that their monitors are very expensive (not that their machines are cheap). It just seems a shame to have to hook up something other than an apple peripheral but that is what I will do. I love dual monitors. and there is no way I will fork over that kind of money just to have an apple on them.

Because he doesn't add pint of pee worth of value. The original poster asked about the community interest in the ipad. After a decade of crapping on every Apple product, there is little need for yet another "look how *cheap* you can buy something that is vaguely similar" post from him. Of course, telling the rest of us that we are wasting our money is just icing on the cake.

The original poster asked about COMMUNITY INTEREST in the iPad.

Specifically, he asked:

What are everyone's thoughts?

So I'm not allowed to give my thoughts on a topic that the OP specifically asked about just because I don't agree with you? :lol:

And guess what -- I used to own an iPod Touch. I tried using it for a month before I realized that I just didn't like the interface and hated iTunes (although you can use MediaMonkey to load tunes to the device which was a little better - but still not great). I gave it to my sister because I didn't want it anymore.

Do I need to preface all of my posts with, "IN MY OPINION" to make you happy? <_<:wallbash: Fine.

IN MY OPINION, the iPad is a waste of money. It doesn't allow you to run multiple applications at the same time. It doesn't have support for Flash. It doesn't have a physical keyboard (which, IN MY OPINION, is a deal breaker). It doesn't even have a webcam so you can't use video Skype on it. If you buy the 3G version, you can't use the SIM card from your phone - you have to buy a micro SIM card.

On the bright side, it did spawn this awesome MADtv sketch:

Scott that's exactly what it's perfect for.. Surfing the net while on the couch. Netflix, however was a very nice surprise. Some of the games have better than PS2 graphics as well. The fact I can get work email is just a huge plus.

I really do appreciate the geek/gadget new thing type excitement. I just can't see getting one myself when I already have a laptop that pretty much does the same thing. Seems kinda redundant. It's not like this laptop weighs 30lbs or something. How is the battery life? Anyway, I really do get the new gadget thing and you have to have it mentality. It happens to me a lot.

I really do appreciate the geek/gadget new thing type excitement. I just can't see getting one myself when I already have a laptop that pretty much does the same thing. Seems kinda redundant. It's not like this laptop weighs 30lbs or something. How is the battery life? Anyway, I really do get the new gadget thing and you have to have it mentality. It happens to me a lot.

Careful, Scott doesn't like this type of OPINION; you're obviously a moron because you're comparing the ultra-cool iPad to a stupid netbook/laptop when they're obviously completely different things.

Comparing the ipad to a netbook just shows you how asinine your opinion is on the subject.

Microsoft's Courier seems like a far superior device when you compare it to the Ipad. It actually has enough unique functions as to warrant a purchase over a netbook/laptop. I would definitely consider buying one for taking notes in college.