Anyone buying an iPad?

stevestojan

IN MY OPINION, iTunes is complete bloatware that takes over your PC. Now maybe it works better on the Mac (I've never been able to get the hang of a computer with only one mouse button, so I'm not a Mac fan -- although I do LOVE that it's UNIX under the hood). But on the PC, it installed stuff I didn't want (Quicktime, for example), and just in general messed with the PC. Why don't they let me transfer music/videos/etc through a non-proprietary method?

Media Monkey works well for transferring music, but last year when I had the iPod Touch, you couldn't transfer videos with it... :flirt:

love the apple products.

love the apple computer

especially love the ipod!

love itunes.

iplate

icalculator

ikeyboard

icar

ichair

i'll pass on some apple products. ipad being one of them.

by the way besides buying the media, whats wrong with itunes...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love the apple products.

love the apple computer

especially love the ipod!

love itunes.

iplate

icalculator

ikeyboard

icar

ichair

i'll pass on some apple products. ipad being one of them.

Betcha you love iCarly too... :flirt:

iTunes is bloated and clunky.

Anyway, I don't get the iPad. I really don't have a need for an oversized phone - I already have a phone! It's also not a Netbook replacement. A solid Netbook is better at browsing the web (1024x768? Bleck), just as good of a media player, and has way more features built in. I just don't get what it's market is. It doesn't browse the web as well as a Netbook, it doesn't do email as well as a Netbook (clients like Thunderbird 3 blow mail.app out of the water), and it doesn't play media as well as a Netbook (Flash anyone?).

It's supposed to be a Netbook replacement, but it costs more than a typical Netbook and you get way less. I don't really see the appeal of that.

Now, if they had given this thing a slideout keyboard, a netbook remix of Mac OS X (so you could actually get full functionality from it, with a better UI instead), and a better screen resolution, I could absolutely see the value in it. But they didn't.

Now maybe it works better on the Mac (I've never been able to get the hang of a computer with only one mouse button, so I'm not a Mac fan -- although I do LOVE that it's UNIX under the hood).

It does. iTunes on a Mac is a pretty integrated experience that doesn't feel or seem near as bloated. I personally find the interface clunky, but that's a personal taste of mine - I can understand why some people like it, I just don't prefer it.

IN MY OPINION, iTunes is complete bloatware that takes over your PC. Now maybe it works better on the Mac (I've never been able to get the hang of a computer with only one mouse button, so I'm not a Mac fan -- although I do LOVE that it's UNIX under the hood).

Seriously? You still think that a Mac can't use a multi-button mouse?

I don't know, can it?

I took a Photoshop class a few years ago at a local college, and all of the Macs in the room (the cheese grater ones) had a mouse with only one button...

In the photography bootcamp I just finished, the instructor had a Macbook. A student wanted to use a mouse instead of a touchpad, so she plugged one in -- and when I was playing with it a little (helping another student), the right and middle buttons didn't do anything in Photoshop....

So based on those two experiences, I just assumed most/all apps don't use more than a single button.

I don't know, can it?

I took a Photoshop class a few years ago at a local college, and all of the Macs in the room (the cheese grater ones) had a mouse with only one button...

In the photography bootcamp I just finished, the instructor had a Macbook. A student wanted to use a mouse instead of a touchpad, so she plugged one in -- and when I was playing with it a little (helping another student), the right and middle buttons didn't do anything in Photoshop....

So based on those two experiences, I just assumed most/all apps don't use more than a single button.

You've been able to control+click to get right-click functionality for years and years, and if you plugged in a 2 button mouse it'd work just fine.

BTW, Apple even makes 2-button mice now. :flirt: They have for about 5 years.

You've been able to control+click to get right-click functionality for years and years, and if you plugged in a 2 button mouse it'd work just fine.

BTW, Apple even makes 2-button mice now. :flirt: They have for about 5 years.

She had a 3 button mouse plugged into the laptop, and the right mouse button did nothing in Photoshop.... Maybe it needed a driver, or maybe the mouse was broken. Dunno...

It's supposed to be a Netbook replacement, but it costs more than a typical Netbook and you get way less. I don't really see the appeal of that.

Comparing the ipad to a netbook just shows you how asinine your opinion is on the subject.

BF is asinine.

I ended up purchasing a 24" iMac. Cool machine ... wifey loves it so life is good. I ran Windows 7 on it with Parallels last night. Not everything functions the way I need it to for my investing research (I use some graphing and streaming information). Hypothetically, if I am running I.E. there should be no issues. Guess that means I will likely end up buying a new PC for myself at some point later in the year. Work issued me a new Dell ... nothing special.

While in the store I played with an iPad. Cool but IMO not worth the cost for what I would do with it.

Why not just use bootcamp? That way you can run W7 natively and switch back when to the mac os when you need to.

BF is asinine.

Why are you still participating in this thread again? Oh, because you thought you pass along your complete LACK of knowledge on machines/devices you don't use. Wow, thanks for that! Is there anything else you know nothing about that you would like to share?

Macs have had the ability to operate multi-button mice for years. Apple MAKES them. But hey, thanks for your "insight" circa 1985.

What do you expect? He doesn't use any of their products - yet is chuck full of advice about their value and their functionality. He openly congratulates people on their happiness with their "Zune" purchase, but anyone that has happily spends their money on Apple products (and is satisfied) is told they are wasting their money, blah, blah, blah.

as someone who has over 200 gigs of music, i absolutely love iTunes. when i bought my first ipod, i only had a PC and had to install it on a windows machine. never had a problem with it slowing anything down, and it was much easier to organize music than using winamp. i know winamp has come a long way, but back then it got totally out-classed. the Smart Playlists are a great way to easily organize music, and the different options for displaying your library have always worked well for me, even though i mostly just use the basic view of artist names, song titles, album.

now with my multiple ipods, and iphone, there is not getting away from it if i wanted to. but i have no need or want to change it at all. great program.

as with most computer "problems", almost every gripe i hear about iTunes (or Macs in general) ends up being a user-based problem. meaning, the application works just fine, the user is just being a baby or expecting something ridiculous. case in point, bitching about one-button functionality.

Why are you still participating in this thread again? Oh, because you thought you pass along your complete LACK of knowledge on machines/devices you don't use. Wow, thanks for that! Is there anything else you know nothing about that you would like to share?

What do you expect? He doesn't use any of their products - yet is chuck full of advice about their value and their functionality. He openly congratulates people on their happiness with their "Zune" purchase, but anyone that has happily spends their money on Apple products (and is satisfied) is told they are wasting their money, blah, blah, blah.

Where did I "openly congratulate" anyone on their Zune...? Here's what I said in that thread:

Glad you're enjoying the Zune - I've never used one. If you have a 360, it supposedly integrates really well. There's even a Zune section on the 360 menus. Not sure how it works or what it does though...

Now back to this thread, nowhere did I say that Steve wasted his money. Maybe you should read the original post -- he asked for OPINIONS ON THE IPAD. And since he asked for OPINIONS ON THE IPAD weeks before it was actually released, he obviously wasn't looking for first hand experience. And if you'd actually read other people's responses, you'd see that I'm not the only person saying that, IN THEIR OPINION, the iPad is overpriced and a waste of money for what it does. OPINION!

Steve likes his purchase, and I'm glad he does (just like the Zune post!), but that doesn't mean everyone has to share your OPINION. I've used the iPod Touch, didn't like the interface, so chances are, IN MY OPINION, I will not like the interface of the iPad. Is that so tough to understand?

I can't believe you're still freaking out about someone's opinion. :rolleyes:

Why not just use bootcamp? That way you can run W7 natively and switch back when to the mac os when you need to.

I actually did that and then relaunched parallels and everything works just fine. The advantage to parallels is that you run it in the OS X environment. I launches a virtual machine that windows is runing on. With dual monitors I can run windows on one of the screens and safari on the other for example. I have not installed office yet and am debating whether I should do so in windows or bite the bullet and buy the mac version (which I would have to buy new).

I don't know, can it?

Must have been broken. No drivers needed. I've been using a three-button scroll wheel mouse with my machines for at least 5-6 years now.

as someone who has over 200 gigs of music, i absolutely love iTunes. when i bought my first ipod, i only had a PC and had to install it on a windows machine. never had a problem with it slowing anything down, and it was much easier to organize music than using winamp. i know winamp has come a long way, but back then it got totally out-classed. the Smart Playlists are a great way to easily organize music, and the different options for displaying your library have always worked well for me, even though i mostly just use the basic view of artist names, song titles, album.

now with my multiple ipods, and iphone, there is not getting away from it if i wanted to. but i have no need or want to change it at all. great program.

as with most computer "problems", almost every gripe i hear about iTunes (or Macs in general) ends up being a user-based problem. meaning, the application works just fine, the user is just being a baby or expecting something ridiculous. case in point, bitching about one-button functionality.

You'd loathe iTunes if you tried software like amaroK. :rolleyes:

You'd loathe iTunes if you tried software like amaroK. :rolleyes:

interesting. i see they have a mac version. ill check it out this weekend, but i know i wont end up switching. if for no other reason, ipod/iphone syncing. but thanks for the suggestion, i WILL give it a once over.