Anyone buying an iPad?

stevestojan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic...did you ever get your Camry tires replaced?

Actually, yeah. My girlfriend's mother works at a tire place and this guy bought 4 premium dunlop tires for like $150 each. Well, he sold his car 2 weeks later and gave them back, cause he didn't need them anymore. She gave them to me and installed them for free. They are 75k tires. End result, $0 paid of tires and install. Awesome deal.

Thanks for remembering.

Actually, yeah. My girlfriend's mother works at a tire place and this guy bought 4 premium dunlop tires for like $150 each. Well, he sold his car 2 weeks later and gave them back, cause he didn't need them anymore. She gave them to me and installed them for free. They are 75k tires. Awesome deal.

Thanks for remembering.

:wallbash:

Hey, for those who have the iPad, do any of you use WinAdmin? This apparently lets you take full control of your home PC and everything on it.

If that is a legit app, I'm buying one immediately.

as Apple's popularity has grown over the recent years, and their marketing has become more aggressive, the typical cynical backlash has started. it's "cool" to hate apple, and mac users (who are deemed to all be smug, coffee shop hipsters). it definitely doesnt make Bill Gates a good guy though.

Not true. It's become "cool" to hate Apple because as they've grown, they've made some very anti-consumer decisions, the latest being creating an OS platform for mobile devices that's extremely locked-down and controlled with an iron fist. Have you ever seen the developer agreement that you have to sign to publish an App on the App Store? You're not even allowed to talk about it if you sign it, which is one reason why you haven't seen it discussed much.

Here's an article that talks about it:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/03/iphon...e-agreement-all

Here's Apple rejecting an eBook reader for books in the public domain, because they don't like the content of some of those books:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/05/apple-says-public-do

Here's Apple deleting tons of apps for "Overtly Sexual Content":

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10457460-37.html

Yet Apple arbitrarily left apps that broke it's own rules (like the Playboy app and SI Swimsuit Edition app). Just what I want - a device locked down to the whims of the software OS maker.

I just can't respect a company that is locking down their platforms like this. The worst part is, almost everyone will have no idea this is actually happening, so Apple can get away with it. Devices like the iPhone and iPad, as well as software rules from Microsoft, are taking us ever-so-slowly to the dream where everything is owned by software manufacturers and is "leased" or "rented" to the person who bought it.

If I buy a mobile device, I am going to want access to all of the cool things people legitimately write for the platform.

If I buy software, I want to have full control over that software.

Unfortunately, Apple sees the world differently. As a result, I will not be buying their products, although I am heavily considering an eventual Android device as a replacement for my Blackberry.

Not true.

yes true. i didnt say it was the ONLY reason. i just made an observation that more often than not, when i hear apple backlash it has come from people who didnt know what they were talking about technology-wise, and were too bust trying to NOT be trendy and therefore be cool. im not saying theyre right, or the norm. but there is a large amount of people who dont like something simply because it's too popular.

to your point, it's THEIR software, it's THEIR machines, they can choose to do whatever they want with it and allow whoever they want to develop apps. they havent built the reputation for being the easiest to use, the most reliable machines, and the fewest bugs, crashes, and viruses by opening everything up. you, and others, may not agree with their business decisions, so theyre not for you. have fun with Ubuntu (seriously, i used it for a year and loved it). no biggie. but understand that there is a reason to keep your stuff strictly proprietary, that's bigger than making the consumers happy (something which apple hasnt really seemed to have a problem doing, save for a few of you).

understand, that ive made my living for the past 6 years off of Asterisk, an open-source PBX software. im a big supporter of open source and the community and the philosophy behind it. but having to deal with open source software, i also know the pros of locking things down. Digium, the company behind Asterisk, learned the same lesson recently and is now selling locked down "Asterisk-based" software (Asterisk Business Edition, and Switchvox).

if Apple were to open everything up, they'd end up with a damaged product. no thanks.

yes true. i didnt say it was the ONLY reason. i just made an observation that more often than not, when i hear apple backlash it has come from people who didnt know what they were talking about technology-wise, and were too bust trying to NOT be trendy and therefore be cool. im not saying theyre right, or the norm. but there is a large amount of people who dont like something simply because it's too popular.

That's funny, because the "No"s on this board have been valid criticisms.

to your point, it's THEIR software, it's THEIR machines, they can choose to do whatever they want with it and allow whoever they want to develop apps.

No ****, sherlock. Thanks for the info. Glad to see this means I can't criticize their products.

they havent built the reputation for being the easiest to use, the most reliable machines, and the fewest bugs, crashes, and viruses by opening everything up. you, and others, may not agree with their business decisions, so theyre not for you. have fun with Ubuntu (seriously, i used it for a year and loved it). no biggie. but understand that there is a reason to keep your stuff strictly proprietary, that's bigger than making the consumers happy (something which apple hasnt really seemed to have a problem doing, save for a few of you).

understand, that ive made my living for the past 6 years off of Asterisk, an open-source PBX software. im a big supporter of open source and the community and the philosophy behind it. but having to deal with open source software, i also know the pros of locking things down. Digium, the company behind Asterisk, learned the same lesson recently and is now selling locked down "Asterisk-based" software (Asterisk Business Edition, and Switchvox).

if Apple were to open everything up, they'd end up with a damaged product. no thanks.

I'm NOT talking about open-source software in my point. Whether Apple made the software open-source or closed-source is irrelevant. I'm talking about the software distribution model for their hardware device. What you typed above doesn't apply at all to what I was saying.

Also, has an app called "text plus". Allows you to send/receive txts to/from any phone. Tried it last night and it worked perfectly.

FYI - That app exists for the Android and Iphone platforms as well. Allows you to send and receive text messages without paying and allows you to send messages to multiple recipients.

• 3 weeks later...