TRADE DOWN,TRADE DOWN,TRADE DOWN

2010 Trade down from top ten

2011 No Football

2012 Trade down from top five

2013 Trade down from top ten

2014 Trade down from top fifteen

2015 Bills over 500. First time in a long time. How OLD is RW now?

It won't matter, Bills five year plan is on track! None of this quick turn around crap for the Bills. They do it the OLD fashion way!!

In 2015 BN/CC lead us to the promise land. They will still be @ OBD, right??

Man, I am stoked.

2011 No Football

It won't matter, Bills five year plan is on track! None of this quick turn around crap for the Bills. They do it the OLD fashion way!!

Man, I am stoked.

Heh. Per your formula, Trade Down = Win. Given this is a reality, why would anyone trade up?

Who do we trade down to though? Everyone wants the most picks as they all know the depth of this draft. Not criticising the plan as I agree with trading down this year. Just wonder who wants our #9 pick enough to give us a first and an additional second.

I'm not so sure trading down is the best solution for this team. The team has urgent needs at LT, RT, and NT because there is no one currently on the roster that can play those positions at a competent NFL level. Two out of our first three picks should be at those positions. In upcoming drafts, however, I'd advocate a best player available drafting philosophy rather than trading down.

This team needs talent. The Bills best player of the past decade is soon to retire. There are no stars on this team. Even the Rams have an elite player at one position. The Bills have drafted decently after the first round, but what has that gotten us? Plenty of decent players. Almost every first round selection in the past ten years has been a flop. They simply need to start hitting on their first rounders, where the top flight talent should be. That's why, after this years draft, I'd prefer they draft the best player available regardless of position (within reason).

2011 No Football

Man, I am stoked.

Stoked or stoned?

Trading down is wonderful, if you're confident you can get your player(s) later on. Cleveland traded down two or three times in last years draft, turning down plenty of players.

The point remains that talent is generally found in the first through third rounds. The team needs their picks in those rounds to be instant starters not just because they're rebuilding, but for the long haul of 4 or 5 years+. Buffalo does not find solid long term starters as often as they should.

though I on't agree with the idea here, i do like the trade down idea.

collect 2nd and 3rd round picks if at all possible.

This is the fastest way to collect talent in a deep draft. We have needs all over the place, imagine if you could move:

from 9 to 14 and get a 3rd

from 14 to 23 and get a 2nd and 5th

from 23 to 28 and get a 3rd

from 28 to 36 and get a 3rd

now you've taken 1 pick and turned it into 5

sure it would be difficult but other teams can do it...Nix should keep his options open.

Stoked or stoned?
i think this might have been meant as a dig at the "be patient", "keep the faith" crowd and I couldn't agree more. If rw really cared about winning, it's now or never in actuarial terms...he would be spending like a drunken sailor (or even like the jets) just to have a chance to have a winning franchise before he dies. "long term plan" is not an option at 92 and since he's stated he's gonna sell on his death you can't argue that it's being planned for then, either. Face it, the bills on field success is a low priority for ralph despite what he says publicly. Another explanation is that he, unlike many here, doesn't believe it possible to field a winner before he dies so why waste the money.

though I on't agree with the idea here, i do like the trade down idea.

collect 2nd and 3rd round picks if at all possible.

This is the fastest way to collect talent in a deep draft. We have needs all over the place, imagine if you could move:

from 9 to 14 and get a 3rd

from 14 to 23 and get a 2nd and 5th

from 23 to 28 and get a 3rd

from 28 to 36 and get a 3rd

now you've taken 1 pick and turned it into 5

sure it would be difficult but other teams can do it...Nix should keep his options open.

putting it that way does look good...time will tell

I still dont see my point being answered in that I dont see who wants to trade up. I want the bills to trade down but everyone has to be thinking the same thing as this draft class is so deep. The more picks the better.

I'm not so sure trading down is the best solution for this team. The team has urgent needs at LT, RT, and NT because there is no one currently on the roster that can play those positions at a competent NFL level. Two out of our first three picks should be at those positions. In upcoming drafts, however, I'd advocate a best player available drafting philosophy rather than trading down.

This team needs talent. The Bills best player of the past decade is soon to retire. There are no stars on this team. Even the Rams have an elite player at one position. The Bills have drafted decently after the first round, but what has that gotten us? Plenty of decent players. Almost every first round selection in the past ten years has been a flop. They simply need to start hitting on their first rounders, where the top flight talent should be. That's why, after this years draft, I'd prefer they draft the best player available regardless of position (within reason).

:thumbsup:

Here is the Buffalo Bills BPA Draft I just did on the simulator at DraftTek. I took the BPA regardless of position:

1-Derrick Morgan DE---Oh, you didn't want a 4-3 DE? He was the BPA!

2-Aaron Hernandez TE---Well, maybe he and S Nelson would be our starters...still no LT though

3-Morgan Burnett SS Georgia Tech---Maybe we go to a 3-2-6 defense...still no LT

4-Jeremy Williams WRF Tulane or Joe McKnight RB (tie)...they can run 2.5 second plays before our QB (whoever) falls

5-Tony Moeaki TE Iowa---Oooh! Now I have 3 TE's. Hope they can block...

6-Rashawn Jackson FB Virginia---Finally! Someone who can block! Could use a real LT or a NT, though...

6-Rahim Alem OLB34 LSU---Okay. A need and BPA...

7-Freddie Barnes WRF Bowling Green---Decent WR, but we're down to the 3rd string QB by midseason...

7-Marcus Easley WRF Connecticut---See above

I don't particularly care if we go BPA after the first 5 rounds, but until then, we had better have a NT, LT, and OLB who can play before Saturday of draft weekend...

2011 No Football

Man, I am stoked.

what if Suh. McCoy. or Bradford fall to us?

Who do we trade down to though? Everyone wants the most picks as they all know the depth of this draft. Not criticising the plan as I agree with trading down this year. Just wonder who wants our #9 pick enough to give us a first and an additional second.

Maybe Seattle, if Jimmy Clausen is there and they draft Okung with there first choice. Maybe they would trade they're other first rd. draft choice [ 14th overall ] and maybe there second or third for our pick. I'm not high on Clausen and I'm hoping that Nix isn't either. I would draft Bulaga if he were there [ 9th overall ] and if Bulaga isn't there, I would trade down for more picks. We need alot of help, so get more draft choices.

Trading down might make sense if you were a team that needed a lot of help in a lot of areas and you didn't care about drafting impact players - because you haven't been able to draft too many first round players that have had an impact on your team (*) in the last decade anyway (so why start now?).

This list below is all you need to know about why there hasn't been one whiff of the playoffs in WNY for a very long time:

2000 Erik Flowers *

2001 Nate Clements

2002 Mike Williams *

2003 Willis McGahee *

2004 Lee Evans

2004 J.P. Losman *

2005 No 1st Round Pick, Roscoe Parrish (2nd Round)

2006 Donte Whitner *

2006 John McCargo *

2007 Marshawn Lynch *

2008 Leodis McKelvin T

2009 Aaron Maybin *

2009 Eric Wood ?

How about we keep trading down until we own the whole seventh round. :)

I can hear Ralph, Nix, and Gailey singing:

We want 7th round picks today, all day

Search for 7th round picks, today

We won't stop until we have 7th round picks

Yum yum yummy yum yay

Time to go to work, work all day

Search for 7th round picks today

Yum yum yummy yum yay

I remember Jimmy Johnson trading down when he wanted to turn around the Dolphins. I think it makes sense especially if there are a lot of holes to fill. A certain number of players are going to go bust so extra picks help. However, I feel that the team should be stock piling second round picks. The Bills need more young talent to fill a lot of holes, QB, OT, OT, WR, NT, OLB, ILB. I really do not want to see them reach for a quarterback like they did with JP Losman. You can say what you like about Trent Edwards, but the Bills did not give a second and a first to draft him. The same could be said for Rob Johnson.

I can hear Ralph, Nix, and Gailey singing:

We want 7th round picks today, all day

Search for 7th round picks, today

Yum yum yummy yum yay

Time to go to work, work all day

Search for 7th round picks today

Yum yum yummy yum yay

ummmmmmmmmmm....................wow.......................ok....................

.someone should stop licking the hypnotoad

This list below is all you need to know about why there hasn't been one whiff of the playoffs in WNY for a very long time:

2000 Erik Flowers *

2001 Nate Clements

2002 Mike Williams *

2003 Willis McGahee *

2004 Lee Evans

2004 J.P. Losman *

2005 No 1st Round Pick, Roscoe Parrish (2nd Round)

2006 Donte Whitner *

2006 John McCargo *

2007 Marshawn Lynch *

2008 Leodis McKelvin T

2009 Aaron Maybin *

2009 Eric Wood ?

Exactly. It's not about trading up or trading down or trading sideways. It's about not screwing the pooch when it's your turn to pick. The Bills would have done better over the last decade if they had hired a monkey to fling poo at the draft board as a means of draft selection.

2011 No Football

Man, I am stoked.

Nothing like trading down to a talent level that in all probability will be closer to mediocrity when the Bills have been a mediocre team or worse the past decade. The nice thing about your plan is that by the time you have all your draft picks on the roster that their contracts will begin to mature in that 3-5 year window...and debate if you want to about this fact:

That almost everytime a player reaches it's peak and their contract is due to be renewed the Bills get cold feet because they don't want to shell out the Big payday bucks. That is Ralph Wilson by the way that is responsible for that as he has the checkbook on payday! Therefore, players like Jabari Greer, Pat Williams, Antwoine Winfield, Nate Clements and you probably can name at least another 5 to 10 players just like those good players that walked...maybe Sam Cowhart, London Fletcher...etc...and the beat goes on!

So it's not the method you acquire players, but it's also the mentality of the owner and the organization that holds this NFL franchise in the doldrums of the NFL basement. If you develop players, but don't keep your talent. Then you are always

trying to fill gaps and replace players. Basically your just spinning your wheels in the snow, or staying afloat in a boat that your taking on water while filling up buckets of water and emptying over the side.

It's actually simple...if you are to build a winning franchise, you must be willing take two steps forward in each year of your plan! You can't be purging and adding when it comes to talent. You only purge negative players who are non-achievers, detrimental to the character of the team (Lynch) etc... You try to add the highest quality player you have the

fortune to add! This is why I do not believe you trade down in the draft!!!! The higher you pick, the greater amount of players you have to choose from. The higher the percentage of success you have in your opportunity to pick a future hall of famer! Notice, I said opportunity....as it's the organization's responsibility to have the scouting dept. to pick the

right players!

I'd rather trade-up almost everytime than trade down! I know this is a no-duh example, but it makes a point..... I would

give up my entire draft if I could have drafted Peyton Manning when Indy did!!! Who else did Indy draft that year??? Who did we draft that year? Inconsequental isn't it!!! I know there are no guarantees when drafting a top OT, QB, NT, etc...but

that's where your Bill Polian's come into play! Talent evaluation is so important and maybe where D.Whaley and Buddy Nix

can do a lot of good!! I am just worried about the other third of that tandem: Tom Modrak!!!! He's had plenty long to have

a postive imprint on the team's roster, and he doesn't. I am worried you will see more of the same, cutsie type of personnel moves and the lack of moves when necessary. I also am worried that when it's time to draft that a high-caliber

draft pick may make the Bills shy away from selecting them at a skill position due to the whopping contract demands that for instance a top-10 QB would feel entitled to.

I am not convinced in your theory, or the Bills organization methology of drafting, acquiring or re-signing players and therefore I have the misfortune and ability to predict the future rather accurately until they change the owner's and

management's philosophies:

2010: 5-11

2011: 7-9 (If they play)

2012: Key year either 5-11 or 9-7 depending on if history repeats itself and this team runs this ship in the same fashion!!

Been rumored San Fran is jonesin' to get into the top 10 to draft CJ Spiller and is looking for someone to deal with...

Nothing like trading down to a talent level that in all probability will be closer to mediocrity when the Bills have been a mediocre team or worse the past decade. The nice thing about your plan is that by the time you have all your draft picks on the roster that their contracts will begin to mature in that 3-5 year window...and debate if you want to about this fact:

That almost everytime a player reaches it's peak and their contract is due to be renewed the Bills get cold feet because they don't want to shell out the Big payday bucks. That is Ralph Wilson by the way that is responsible for that as he has the checkbook on payday! Therefore, players like Jabari Greer, Pat Williams, Antwoine Winfield, Nate Clements and you probably can name at least another 5 to 10 players just like those good players that walked...maybe Sam Cowhart, London Fletcher...etc...and the beat goes on!...

The biggest non-signing that has impacted the Bills the most - was losing Pat Williams.

Try as they might, the Bills have really never been able to re-fill that spot. Williams (and Ted Washington) provided the anchor of the defense. That is what the Bills have been really missing and what the Vikings have benefited from - for many years. Next might be Jason Peters. Maybe someday before the Bills move, they will figure out that the game is won or lost on the line of scrimmage.

2011 No Football

Man, I am stoked.

Thank GOD you don't work in football! :wallbash: