This is puzzling that an entire city...

njsue

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Butler may well have been a hall of famer if he didn't tear up his knee. I thought he was out of football by the time the Bills got those two clowns. Andre should go in on his first ballot. Burkett? I seem to remember some guy bashing Kelly then winding up on the Jests.

You sure you're not making stevestojan up again?  :flirt:  :lol:  :doh:  :lol:

134608[/snapback]

Nope...stats for 1985 say Jerry Butler had 41 for 770 yards. Reed had 48 for 637. Burkett...21 for 371. Like I said...not great, but not the worst trio, either (even Burkett put together some good years...1985 wasn't one of them, though.) Fact is, all three did better with better QBs...which leads me to believe that Mathison and Ferragamo were simply cover-your-eyes awful. Fortunately, Gary Marangi is a bit before my time...36.5% CAREER completion rate? That makes me appreciate Bledsoe a whole lot more.

And although I deeply appreciate your input on the Dranger tubes...there's three other reports I've heard so far... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

:lol::P

Nope...stats for 1985 say Jerry Butler had 41 for 770 yards.  Reed had 48 for  637.  Burkett...21 for 371.  Like I said...not great, but not the worst trio, either (even Burkett put together some good years...1985 wasn't one of them, though.)  Fact is, all three did better with better QBs...which leads me to believe that Mathison and Ferragamo were simply cover-your-eyes awful.  Fortunately, Gary Marangi is a bit before my time...36.5% CAREER completion rate?  That makes me appreciate Bledsoe a whole lot more.

And although I deeply appreciate your input on the Dranger tubes...there's three other reports I've heard so far...  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

:doh:  :flirt:

134619[/snapback]

Gary Marangi is the reason I became a Bills fan. How much does that suck?

Living in the Catskills, about 11 or 12 years old, I was watching a Bills game with my father, who had money on the Bills. The Bills were up by 10 or so...couldn't tell you who they were playing. The game, and my father's bet, were in hand. Ferguson got hurt, and Marangi had to come in. He played a Hobart-like game. He did something like throw four passes, three of which were picked off. Bills ended up losing.

My father turns to me when he loses the game, and after cussing out Marangi, says "The only good thing about that quarterback is that he's Italian." For some reason, they've stuck with me ever since.

Is that a link? If so it doesn't.

134615[/snapback]

no it doesn't work because it was posted on the Range and it seems it can be opened from here, but this is from a guy that coaches a high school in Florida team and he focused on the OL play against the patsies in Foxboro, his name is Sal

here it is:

This week, for the first time, I really wanted to take a look at how our passing game has or hasn’t progressed since the beginning of the season. Specifically, I took a good look at the offensive line and Drew Bledsoe’s play from the game last Sunday night in New England. Has the pass protection improved? Has Drew become more adept at getting the ball out quicker? And what results were yielded because of all of this in the last game?

So, here’s what I did. I looked at every pass play from last week’s game, and listed the key elements:

-How much time between the snap and Drew’s release (in parenthesis in seconds).

-Rated the pass protection from the O-Line and backs as one unit as either excellent, good, average, or bad.

-Listed the result of the play.

After reading how each play played out, you can draw some of your own conclusions. However, I also have my own analysis and conclusions listed at the end of the breakdowns:

Pass 1: (3.10) Excellent – complete to Moulds 7 yards

2: (2.91) Excellent – complete to Moulds 16 yards

3: (2.92) Excellent – complete to Euhus 4 yards

4: (2.53) Excellent – incomplete (dropped)

5: (2.50) Good – incomplete (should have been intercepted by Harrison)

6: (3.75) Excellent – interception deep by Wilson

7: (2.44) Good – incomplete (short)

8: (3.19) Good – incomplete (dropped)

9: (1.63) Excellent – complete to Moulds 7 yards

10: (2.69) Good – interception short by Bruschi

SACK – (3.69 at time of wrap-up) – Average – near end of half

11: (0.97) Good – incomplete (quick hitch to Moulds)

12: (2.84) Good – incomplete (short)

13: (2.41) Excellent – complete to Moulds 8 yards

14: (3.84) Excellent – complete dump-off to McGahee 12 yards

15: (2.70) Good – intercepted short by Troy Brown

16: (2.65) Excellent – complete to Evans 13 yards

17: (2.50) Good – complete to Moulds 9 yards

SACK – (3.59 at time of wrap-up) – Bad

18: (2.31) Average – incomplete (dropped by Evans)

19: (3.34) Excellent – incomplete (Moulds catch out of bounds)

Analysis

Offensive Line/running backs – If anyone doesn’t see the improvements this unit has made in its pass protection, they have not watched a Buffalo Bills game this season. Of the 19 passes that were thrown, I rated 10 of those as having “Excellent” protection, and 7 as “Good.” That’s 17/19 pass plays that the offense protected the quarterback very well. What made the protection excellent? Drew had time to get back in the pocket, look over the field (albeit very quickly at times), set his feet, and throw the ball. Now, the Patriots rarely blitzed Sunday night. They usually rushed only three or four. But, the O-Line did a very good job of maintaining their assignments and rarely got beat one-on-one.

When the Pats did blitz, the backs did a much better job than they had in the past of picking it up, and the line was able to adjust quite well, too. Even on the two sacks given up by the offense, Bledsoe was not wrapped up until 3.69 and 3.59 seconds, respectively. That’s usually enough time to get rid of the football. On the first, he was looking downfield near the end of the half, trying to make a play. The second sack was really the only time I felt the entire game that the line broke down in its protection. Drew tried to escape, which is why the time was so high. In reality, the breakdown occurred after about 2.3 seconds.

The thing that really caught my eye was that very often, the line did a really good job of washing defenders down, creating running lanes for the quarterback. However, since Bledsoe is a pocket-passer, and since he usually got rid of the ball fairly quickly (see below), he obviously did not take advantage of this.

Drew Bledsoe – The aim going into this season was to get Drew to be able to get rid of the ball quicker. If Sunday night was any indication, Sam Wyche and Mike Mularkey have done a really good job of moving him along in that area. Of Bledsoe’s 19 passes, he had an average release time of 2.69 seconds. That’s very low for an NFL quarterback throughout the course of an entire game. Everyone makes a big deal about the “clock” the team has been using in practice since training camp. But it shouldn’t be. The clock is a tool many NFL, college, and high school teams use in practice to help their quarterbacks. I think it has helped Drew in this regard, as well. I’m just amazed it took this long in his career for any of his coaches to put him on this timer.

However, after looking at all of these numbers as a whole, It appears that even though Drew Bledsoe is doing a better job of releasing the ball quicker, it has not really improved his play very much. Consider the fact that he was only 8/19 and his longest completion was only 16 yards. Also, he had (only) 3 completions over 10 yards, and on every one of them, his receiver gained at least 5 of those yards after the catch. So, even though Drew is getting rid of the ball quicker, no one has to respect anything deep, or even intermediate for that matter, because they are mostly dumps and quick strikes. Normally, that might be fine. But as I said, the Patriots hardly blitzed, which meant that their linebackers were dropping into coverage, enabling them to be in position to make tackles much quicker once the ball was caught and risk minimal yardage gained by the Bills.

I’m guessing Bill Belichick’s staff noticed the quicker release by Bledsoe, as well as the improved blocking by the offensive line, and simply decided to let the Bills have those little dumps and quick strikes, knowing that they wouldn’t get hurt because their linebackers and defensive backs would be in position to make the play as soon as the ball was caught. It worked.

Conclusion

We all know that Drew Bledsoe’s strength is his powerful arm, and his main weakness is his mobility. He is a classic drop-back pocket quarterback and - as much as it can help any QB to get in a rhythm – he is not a rhythm-style passer. So, as much as the coaches have improved his play in one area (release time), it may have all been counter-productive because now the Bills have a quarterback who can’t do two things: 1) throw the ball deep because of the scheme, or 2) be successful at throwing the ball quick and short. This was evident Sunday night by the fact that he threw three balls right to defenders because he was trying so hard to get rid of the ball early, he locked right in to his intended target. Easy pickings for any NFL defense.

Now that the blueprint has been laid by the Patriots for defending this offense with this quarterback, I fear that every week will be more of the same result.

Furthermore, because of his natural style of playing the position, and that he is not a rhythm-style quarterback, I saw many times where Drew did not get his feet set as he was making his “quicker” throws. This is why there were so many balls thrown short to his intended receivers. Is that really an improvement? Drew Bledsoe has to get his feet set to be successful. He has to have time to set up and throw the ball like a bullet to get the maximum efficiency out of him. So, if you improve one area of his play, but because of it, decrease efficiency in another area, how does that really help anyone involved?

Obviously, it doesn’t. It’s a case of diminishing returns. I wrote earlier this season that I wouldn’t make any comments on the quarterback play until later in the season when we all saw how the changes have worked – or not worked – to improve the Bills offense. Well, it’s been 9 games. The Bills are 3-6, and their offense is still not getting the job done.

The offensive line has made major improvements. The running game has improved since Willis McGahee became the featured back. But the one constant that has remained is the play of Drew Bledsoe.

Even though this is painful, and even though I love his competitive-nature and toughness, here it is, I’m going to finally say it: It’s not the O-Line; it’s not the running game; it’s not the play-calling. The Buffalo Bills biggest problem rests with Drew Bledsoe. It’s time for this organization to face reality and move on. It’s time to start J.P. Losman’s NFL career.

I hope he doesn't mind or else I'm deep stevestojan, enjoy.

Guest Guest_gmac17_*

your all so crazy. i go away for a day and your all having fun with you're mean friends here. your a bunch of funny people.

Yeah, we were all there to greet Drew because we thought he was going to take us back to the playoffs and wipe our memories of the RJ years. Other than his first half season, he has done nothing to move us in position to make the playoffs and has caused incredible anguish to true Bills fans. How could we not want an upgrade over DB?? I don't wish him evil or anything, I just want someone else to get the Bills out of this funk.

Drew has gotten plenty of chances and has only shown us that he is no longer the QB that he once was.

Yeah, we were all there to greet Drew because we thought he was going to take us back to the playoffs and wipe our memories of the RJ years.  Other than his first half season, he has done nothing to move us in position to make the playoffs and has caused incredible anguish to true Bills fans.  How could we not want an upgrade over DB??  I don't wish him evil or anything, I just want someone else to get the Bills out of this funk.

Drew has gotten plenty of chances and has only shown us that he is no longer the QB that he once was.

134691[/snapback]

When Drew arrived he had a lousy supporting cast around him. Remember!

He will bring alot of you negative nancies back when he beats the SEAHAGS.

True Blue fans stick by there team no matter what. Will always want what is best for there team. True Blue Fans NEVER QUIT.

134009[/snapback]

Whats best for the team is a new QB ...and the team and the fans deserve that.You did see the ESPN game two sundays ago didn`t you? I was at the Baltimore game and our QB single handlely lost that game for us...Baltimore sucks! ....we should of beat them by two touchdowns.he`s simply embarrassing to watch!...Sure he had a great game last week...I was rooting for the poor scmuck,laughing my a$$ off saying who IS this guy.Three good games a year Don`t cut it!

I am sure that some others are supporters of Drew. Those are pocketing too much pride to admit it.

Come on people give it another year of free agency & the draft. There are just a few holes left to be filled.

I did say you cant count the first year that Drew arrived. So the 2005 season it the fourth year. Next years goal is the playoffs.

After reading how each play played out, you can draw some of your own conclusions. However, I also have my own analysis and conclusions listed at the end of the breakdowns:

Pass 1: (3.10) Excellent – complete to Moulds 7 yards

2: (2.91) Excellent – complete to Moulds 16 yards

3: (2.92) Excellent – complete to Euhus 4 yards

4: (2.53) Excellent – incomplete (dropped)

5: (2.50) Good – incomplete (should have been intercepted by Harrison)

6: (3.75) Excellent – interception deep by Wilson

7: (2.44) Good – incomplete (short)

8: (3.19) Good – incomplete (dropped)

9: (1.63) Excellent – complete to Moulds 7 yards

10: (2.69) Good – interception short by Bruschi

SACK – (3.69 at time of wrap-up) – Average – near end of half

11: (0.97) Good – incomplete (quick hitch to Moulds)

12: (2.84) Good – incomplete (short)

13: (2.41) Excellent – complete to Moulds 8 yards

14: (3.84) Excellent – complete dump-off to McGahee 12 yards

15: (2.70) Good – intercepted short by Troy Brown

16: (2.65) Excellent – complete to Evans 13 yards

17: (2.50) Good – complete to Moulds 9 yards

SACK – (3.59 at time of wrap-up) – Bad

18: (2.31) Average – incomplete (dropped by Evans)

19: (3.34) Excellent – incomplete (Moulds catch out of bounds)

134661[/snapback]

What? No Piss-poor's in all these grades? Average, Good, and Excellent - where'd you go to school? Pardon my skepticism, but this OLine is a failure. It's the sole reason for the delusions gripping the anti-Drew-establishmentarinism. :lol:

I'd like to point out that on NONE of these plays did Drew have the full 40 seconds to complete a pass. If the line can't give him 40 seconds to read a defense and complete his throw, how can you expect him to succeed? Why then, I ask did Mularkey have the entire team practice with those 40 second alarmclocks in their helmets this summer? When are they going to get it? They simply must give the guy 40 seconds to throw. Now, if he takes over 40 seconds, then I can agree that he might be the problem, but none of these so-called plays you mention come even close to 40 seconds. I rest my case.

What?

It was 4 seconds? Not 40? You sure?

Oh, nevermind.

I'm 24 years old. This post just gave me an brain aneurism.  Pray for me.

133961[/snapback]

Please lord take him quickly and relatively painlessly

I am so sure that I will have plenty of people to back me up. If idiots start trouble for sure they will get the boot. You probably on that list.

134329[/snapback]

You want him banned for this thread? Yeesh. He's a blabbernouth, but there's nothing wrong in all this.

I thought you left.

The real friends I have made on this board told me to ignore the Azzholes.

They told me I should not let miserable people win. Guess what I am happy to be apart of this board.

But, some inside information mentioned that some people are about to get banned for life from TBD.

That would be a blessing.