Let's Face Facts, Shall We?

1) There are very few if any viable free agents, especially at those positions of our greatest needs.

2) This draft appears to be lacking at the vital positions of QB and LT.

3) The duo of Levy/Jauron, starting with the Whitner pick, did untold damage to this franchise. Yes, Ralph is to blame for hiring this unwanted, incompetent combo, but they couldn't have been much worse.

4) We have little to no trade bait. Players such as Lynch and Lil' Donte truly are a dime a dozen. They are so-so players with serious character issues. A 4th would be a lot to expect for either one of these losers, let alone what we could get for the garbage that is Roscoe Parrish.

Where does this leave us? I am hoping that we are able to grab a real football player, to wit: Rolando McClain. If he is gone (as I strongly suspect he will be), I would be fine with Bulaga, even though he looks like a right tackle to me. We are just so weak that an almost unprecedentedly early (except for our own blunder with Mike Williams) RT would be worth a #9 in terms of trying to make this weak team strong. Yes, we HAVE sunk that low.

Is there any good news? Perhaps. Whereas I never had any faith in the undynamic, dopey, senile duo of Levy/Jauron, there IS reason to hope that Nix/Gailey know how to build a football team. We will know if they suck in the first round of the draft if they take a defensive back. I don't expect them to, but as a serious, long term Bills Fan, I accept the premise that anything this dumb isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Still, hope springs eternal that these guys know enough about football to look at and shun this type of stupidity. Maybe they will trade down and get more picks. Maybe they have their eyes on talented players who could fall to us. Maybe Gaily can develop one of the qbs on our roster. I just don't know.

What I DO know is that Bills Fans deserve some good luck and again, hope truly does spring eternal.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's obvious to me that Ralph respects the way the Rooney family has run the Pittsburgh franchise.

He thought he could copy that when he signed Donahoe. But TD was exiled from there for a reason.

While nearly everyone was enamored of his wheeling and dealing - his approach was simply a shortcut to shitesville.

The Steelers build through the draft, rarely sign any big name FAs, and cut their big men at the right time - as they're beginning to slide downhill and before they get on the hook for beaucoup bucks.

I think Nix has the same approach, and is why he brought in Gailey and Whaley. They all share the same basic philosophy: draft big, tough football players.

Next season might not be pretty, but I think the way the team is going about being built is a more sound way to do things than the herky-jerky way Levi went about it and the riverboat gamble approach that Donahoe took.

I agree that Bulaga looks more like a RT than a LT. Oh well. We're not picking at the 1 spot this year. I hope that's not our fate next year either. No one wants to trade up into the top 10 slots, so I hold out little hope that we'll be able to trade down. No matter how much that's a desired scenario by some, it flies in the face of reality in today's NFL. Trading up would be an abject disaster and it would astonish me if Nix were even contemplating such a move.

One thing I will say, there are no more excuses that will be acceptable. The team's got to be built right this time. I've got faith that it can happen. But every draft pick of ours this year has to be a gamer - if not a starter by week 4. I also think we'll see about 3-4 undrafted players stick on the squad. Yes, things are that desperate.

1) Agreed. Every year people overestimate the potential impact of free agency. Teams rarely let key players in their prime go, and if they do it's over money and why anyone would believe that Ralph is going to outbid Snyder or Jones for a key guy is beyond me. FA is for filling in the gaps, not for rebuilding a team.

2) It seems top heavy on the tackles, so hopefully we get one of the big boys. As for QB, I like the top two, but that position is such a crap shoot no matter who the prospect, it makes me nervous to consider the Bills taking Bradford or Clausen. This team just can't afford another huge miss in the top half of the first round.

3) I think the list is a lot longer than Levy/Jauron, but yes, untold damage has been done to this franchise on draft day for the past decade.

4) Completely agree, but I just can't get enough of the "trade Whitner or Lynch and a 3d for someone else's All-Pro" threads. :blush:

Perhaps you guys have faith in Buddy Nix, look who he hired as his HC. Sorry, but I have no faith in this man until he proves otherwise.

He could have hired Gailey as the offensive coordinator and he probably would have jumped at the Job. Now Gailey goes out and hires a bunch of college assistants. Even Nix stated at his presser that he wanted a HC with experience because of the steep learning curve in the NFL.

So looking at this new coaching staff and GM it looks like at least a 3 year plan just to become somewhat competitive. The AFC East is going to be a very tough division and the weakest team by far looks to be the Bills because they are changing both the offense and defense schemes.

I wonder what marketing move the front office will pull off to sell this team to the fans in 2010, to me I just don't see them selling this team this year.

I also wonder how much tolerance for losing the fans will have with this new regime, if the Bills are vying for the 2011 #1 overall draft pick by mid-season will RW blow everything up again?

1) There are very few if any viable free agents, especially at those positions of our greatest needs.

3) The duo of Levy/Jauron, starting with the Whitner pick, did untold damage to this franchise. Yes, Ralph is to blame for hiring this unwanted, incompetent combo, but they couldn't have been much worse.

4) We have little to no trade bait. Players such as Lynch and Lil' Donte truly are a dime a dozen. They are so-so players with serious character issues. A 4th would be a lot to expect for either one of these losers, let alone what we could get for the garbage that is Roscoe Parrish.

Where does this leave us? I am hoping that we are able to grab a real football player, to wit: Rolando McClain. If he is gone (as I strongly suspect he will be), I would be fine with Bulaga, even though he looks like a right tackle to me. We are just so weak that an almost unprecedentedly early (except for our own blunder with Mike Williams) RT would be worth a #9 in terms of trying to make this weak team strong. Yes, we HAVE sunk that low.

Is there any good news? Perhaps. Whereas I never had any faith in the undynamic, dopey, senile duo of Levy/Jauron, there IS reason to hope that Nix/Gailey know how to build a football team. We will know if they suck in the first round of the draft if they take a defensive back. I don't expect them to, but as a serious, long term Bills Fan, I accept the premise that anything this dumb isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Still, hope springs eternal that these guys know enough about football to look at and shun this type of stupidity. Maybe they will trade down and get more picks. Maybe they have their eyes on talented players who could fall to us. Maybe Gaily can develop one of the qbs on our roster. I just don't know.

What I DO know is that Bills Fans deserve some good luck and again, hope truly does spring eternal.

I always enjoy your posts.

1. Concur, that there is not much help with this years free agent crop. Still, we need to bring in some veterans with front seven experience playing in a 3-4. There are some there (Foote, Jarvis, to name a few). We also need veteran depth at on the OL. Right now we are faced with drafting and starting a rookie at LT and maybe Meredith at RT. I see Bell as a back up. We really need a legitimate veteran OT on this roster. Not a Chambers or Scott but someone that has played at a respectable level and can help out.

2. This draft has lots of OT prospects and most experts do indeed see Bulaga as a LT. Same with Okung and Davis. Two if these three could be there at #9.

3. The Levy/ Jauron regime was lousy yet somehow we managed to win 7 games per season with Dick Jauron at the helm and a continous change at offensive coordinator. Maybe we are closer than everyone thinks? Nix says we are.

4. Trade bait - Whitner is much better than given credit for on these boards. I did not want to draft a safety with his pick but his biggest crime is when he was drafted, not his play. Fewell defends his play and compliments his versatility. He seems to want to win and he takes ownership. Since we appear to be deep at safety maybe we can move him for a veteran OT?

5. I would love to see McClain on our team. McClain or an OT at #9 is a tough choice but in the long run McClain might be a better pick. The mishandling of Peters is still haunting us.

6. I too am glad to see Nix, Gailey and Whaley at the controls. Things just have to get better.

This season should be written off. Needs at LT, RT, NT, OLB, combined with depth at DL and LB are, as Nix has said, too many holes to fill in one off-season.

If a team has not had success in a decade, I still expect a better attempt in the first year to win. What's remarkable is how many fans here are willing to give them another 2-3 years after 10 years of ineptitude.

That is true, however, with all of the holes, huge holes, not gaps, but gaping hungry toothless maws on this team we should be doing something.

Nix should have targeted one player or one position and gone for it. Could have been LB, NT, OT...

It would be nice to have one hole plugged, and there were a few viable players available as FA.

Why they let Incognito go is beyond my ability to comprehend. I don't know what happens inside OBD but WTF do you let the guy go for nothing. If Wood recovers fully then he's insurance, if he runs into issues then you have your starter.

This season should be written off. Needs at LT, RT, NT, OLB, combined with depth at DL and LB are, as Nix has said, too many holes to fill in one off-season.

If a team has not had success in a decade, I still expect a better attempt in the first year to win. What's remarkable is how many fans here are willing to give them another 2-3 years after 10 years of ineptitude.

It is remarkable but what are the choices for real fans? Whether they suck or not I am not going to switch teams. I am still going to make two trips to Buffalo with my sons and attend the games with my brothers and their kids.

That is what we do win or lose. Tailgate, have fun, watch the games, and quite often walk out of the stadium shaking our heads in disbelief.

My youngest son got to experience the agony after the Dallas Monday Night game, then repeated it against Cleveland last year. I know he is a real Bills fan now.

That is true, however, with all of the holes, huge holes, not gaps, but gaping hungry toothless maws on this team we should be doing something.

Nix should have targeted one player or one position and gone for it. Could have been LB, NT, OT...

It would be nice to have one hole plugged, and there were a few viable players available as FA.

Why they let Incognito go is beyond my ability to comprehend. I don't know what happens inside OBD but WTF do you let the guy go for nothing. If Wood recovers fully then he's insurance, if he runs into issues then you have your starter.

Agreed. While the FA market may not have any Pro-Bowlers for years to come, it still has positions players that we need and would be significant upgrades. It feels like Nix wants to go the all or nothing route with the draft and that scares me. Many players in the draft don't pan out to much more than depth. There are, or were, some proven guys out there that could help up immediately for a few years while the new guys they bring in learn. Cause even if we hit with all 7 picks, it takes atleast 3 years for them to really get going, and we are pry 3 drafts away from filling all the holes.

Everything else, I agree with. But that's also why I think we should have atleast had our name out their for a Peppers or Dansby. If only to show that we are serious to the fans and other FA's that Ralph is trying to turn things around.

Well said, good post. This has actually become an intelligent thread. We need a 2-3 year plan. Long term, strategic. Would I bet on the Bills? NO F'ing way, LOL. But still an exciting time of year. And yes, we're all bursting with hope. It will all come down to smarts and hardwork. Are these guys smart enough? Well, gotta be smarter than the last bunch of clowns. Though why anyone in this front office kept their job is beyond me. And have they done their homework? Who knows. I doubt it.

Totally disagree. The Bills should've signed Julius Peppers and traded Lynch, Whitner and a 3rd round pick for Vince Wilfork.

No. There's plenty of QB talent. Jimmy Clausen and Sam Bradford are future Canton enshrinees and guys like Tony Pike, Colt McCoy, and John Skelton will be perennial Pro Bowl players. Not to mention the deity that is Tim Tebow...

My wife loves to watch that country fried shrink Dr. Phil, who always says something to the effect that adding "but" to a sentence is to say, "disregard what I just said". 'Til Ralph give his GM total control, the Bills are apt to make these kind of boneheaded decisions. Maybe Nix will break the mold. Let's hope, huh?

Why not? It works in Madden...

I've said that if the Bills' organization believe that Bradford or Clausen can be THE guy and they're there w/ the 9th pick (doubtful), then go for it. Otherwise, use the pick to get the best talent you can. The Bills have plenty of areas they can go w/ the pick, so they don't have to narrow their scope to one or two players. After the first round, I just hope the Bills work to fill as many holes on this team as they can: get a nose tackle if you can, get a decent left tackle if you can, get an OLB that can rush the passer and has enough size to hold up against the run, and so on.

1) Bad free agent class period unless you want to give up multiple draft picks for restricted players.

2) Top-heavy in the draft at LT, not much depth. QB class is very weak.

3) Marv's picks were lackluster, especially in RD #1. Terrible free-agent moves. Hopefully that changes.

4) Trades are easier said than done. Hard to get any value when the rest of the league knows you're selling.

Where does this leave us? I am hoping that we are able to grab a real football player, to wit: Rolando McClain. If he is gone (as I strongly suspect he will be), I would be fine with Bulaga, even though he looks like a right tackle to me.

I still do not understand why we wouldn't at least make an attempt to sign some guys like Jamal Williams. A lot of us wanted Wilfork, Hampton and Pickett but they were signed by their teams so we had no chance. I just think it would a good idea if we went after a guy like Jamal Williams.

It is remarkable but what are the choices for real fans? Whether they suck or not I am not going to switch teams. I am still going to make two trips to Buffalo with my sons and attend the games with my brothers and their kids.

That is what we do win or lose. Tailgate, have fun, watch the games, and quite often walk out of the stadium shaking our heads in disbelief.

My youngest son got to experience the agony after the Dallas Monday Night game, then repeated it against Cleveland last year. I know he is a real Bills fan now.

Not only do you inflict pain on yourself but you inflict pain on others. You should be proud of your versatility because you not only qualify as a masochist but you also qualify as a sadist. Isn't heritage a wonderful thing? :blush:

Not only do you inflict pain on yourself but you inflict pain on others. You should be proud of your versatility because you not only qualify as a masochist but you also qualify as a sadist. Isn't heritage a wonderful thing? :blush:

Someday we will bask in the glory of a Super Bowl win!

To be honest, my sons like the football trips just to see their family. They often wonder how we could be so dedicated to this team after all the failures.

At least their learning about loyalty and tradition. <_<

Standards differ from fan to fan. I know many just love to drink, watch football, and then sulk when their team loses.

Wash, rinse, and repeat the next week. So be it.

The Bills are like a stock that keeps falling over time, but you hold onto it because you have a personal interest in the company. Finally, it bottoms out and you're left with nothing.

Perhaps you guys have faith in Buddy Nix, look who he hired as his HC. Sorry, but I have no faith in this man until he proves otherwise.

He could have hired Gailey as the offensive coordinator and he probably would have jumped at the Job. Now Gailey goes out and hires a bunch of college assistants. Even Nix stated at his presser that he wanted a HC with experience because of the steep learning curve in the NFL.

So looking at this new coaching staff and GM it looks like at least a 3 year plan just to become somewhat competitive. The AFC East is going to be a very tough division and the weakest team by far looks to be the Bills because they are changing both the offense and defense schemes.

I wonder what marketing move the front office will pull off to sell this team to the fans in 2010, to me I just don't see them selling this team this year.

I also wonder how much tolerance for losing the fans will have with this new regime, if the Bills are vying for the 2011 #1 overall draft pick by mid-season will RW blow everything up again?

What else are you going to do in Buffalo on Sundays this Fall?

Standards differ from fan to fan. I know many just love to drink, watch football, and then sulk when their team loses.

Wash, rinse, and repeat the next week. So be it.

The Bills are like a stock that keeps falling over time, but you hold onto it because you have a personal interest in the company. Finally, it bottoms out and you're left with nothing.

And you like to drink, watch football, and then run around like some superior person because you complain on a message board. Got it.