Denney, Reed, Owens are done in Buffalo

Lori

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who could they get to replace TO in FA?

Chambers seems to be the popular choice. I think Bryant would be doable as well. They aren't as big as TO, and they aren't really that great. But they are vets and would be better than drafting a WR. WRs in the later rounds take years to develop. We are already developing 2 young recievers. We need a vet in there that can work right away.

Great news on Denney...one of the many, many overpaid Bills.

If Chris Chambers doesn't sign a new contract with KC over the next few days, it seems to me like he's a lock to come here and be our 2nd WR.

+1

Not sure I know how I feel about Chambers just yet but his connections to current people in Buffalo make it more likely and interesting. I think it would be fun for Lee having his college roommate back and might motivate them both depending on if we have someone to throw them the ball.

i would agree that chambers would be a decent no.2 receiver for us for this year, then maybe hardy or johnson step up and take it from him the next year. probably the best move for them to take is to sign him for 2 years. I believe he is 32 years old, so he is getting up there in the ages.

Now worries. Johnson and Hardy have shown themselves to be ready to pull a Miles Austin for the Bills. :rolleyes:

I seriously hope that Nix has a WR in mind for the later rounds, who can come in and start immediately.

The way things are shaping up, Nix will have to find seven new starters in this years draft just to get us back on track... QB, NT, DE, OLB, WR, LTx2. We get seven picks, right? I wouldn't count too much on free agency. It will be much more limited given the lack of a CBA and the Bills track record on FA signing hasn't been very good. Also, anyone who thinks that Chambers can come it and replace Owens hasn't been watching. Chambers is 1/2 the receiver Owens is. The Bills would be better off just letting Hardy and Johnson play.

Now worries. Johnson and Hardy have shown themselves to be ready to pull a Miles Austin for the Bills. :rolleyes:

I seriously hope that Nix has a WR in mind for the later rounds, who can come in and start immediately.

I do hear ya Doc, but otoh T.O. is 82 years old and Reed, while decent, instills fear in nobody. It really is time for a purge. If the Bills finish 3-13 this year but start to build a TRUE foundation, I will be satisfied.

These moves all made sense imro.

All Owens did was run fly patterns last year. I don't see any reason why Hardy couldn't do the same thing or better, and you folks know I'm not one to wear the rose-colored glasses. Before Hardy got injured, he was routinely beating DBs off of the line and getting open deep. Unfortunately his QB at the time wasn't interested in throwing it downfield...

Thanks to Josh Reed for his years of clutch catches, first downs and hard-nosed, consistent effort. He did credit to the Bills uniform he wore. I hope he lands on a winning team, and I hope we have his replacement in the wings. :rolleyes:

+1

A nice way to form it. I've been clamoring for his replacement for years now, as he's never been a threat to the opposition. I got flamed here for it everytime, due to the points you offer. Fact is, he WASN'T a threat. Funny how all it took was a new coach to walk in to kick him to the curb.. IMO, he and Denney represented everything bad about the Bills for their entire stay. They're 7-9 kind of guys..

As for T.O., yeah, I bought the away throwback.. :angry:

I will not miss TO. I was excited when we signed him, but he was a disappointment. He took plays off. He had alligator arms. I believe he was disruptive behind the scenes and threw TE under the bus. I also think that he would have signed with anyone who would have paid him $1 more than anything we would have offered him.

I will miss Reed. I thought that he played hard. He had pretty good hands and made some clutch catches. He was a good complimentary receiver.

We now have a solid number 2 receiver in Evans. (Yeah, I know some of you guys are in love with him). Maybe Chan can get more out of him. I hope.

Agree totally with your comments about receivers. Thought they might have kept Denney as a 3-4 end. But he's getting old, i guess. Always liked his play when he was out there.

Ralph will be happy; saved some money yesterday. More prunes today.

i would agree that chambers would be a decent no.2 receiver for us for this year, then maybe hardy or johnson step up and take it from him the next year. probably the best move for them to take is to sign him for 2 years. I believe he is 32 years old, so he is getting up there in the ages.

Chambers would be the No. 1 reciever, just like T.O. was the No. 1 this year.