Report: Bills one of 3 going for McNabb

shaker4187

The Broncos/ Orton won more games than Cutler/ Bears.

Personally, I'd dangle our 3rd and would give him our 2nd if need be. McNabb has at least 4 good years left. As bad we were, if we had McNabb IMO, we make the playoffs. With an upgrade at LT, this could be a very good unit if we had a QB.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mcnabb would give us a guy who just came off a 3500 yard, 60+ comp perc, 22 tds 10 picks...he gives us a chance to win as long as we dont give up too much...

Don't go using facts to back up your opinion!!!! Despite those great numbers some think that Donny is no good and all but on social security retirement.

Let the Browns get McNabb then we can take Quinn for a 5th rounder or whatever. Kid can ball just needs a competent team..... so the Bill have to get Quinn, then build a competent team. The latter part of that will need to be done regardless of the QB this team brings in.

This team is about two years away from having a decent offensive line that can run proper protections and function as a cohesive unit, that is of course "if" they address the LT position in the draft with that 9th pick, and "if" Gailey knows how to build a decent O line.

Throwing caution to the wind and bringing in a name QB like McNabb might just sell the season tickets this year, but he will run for his life just like Edwards and the team will lose games, so why waste draft picks on one player when so many other areas of the team need immediate help.

A smart/quick decisive QB can make a bad line look good with a smart coach who counters blitzes with screens and draws. AVP would have guys run 20 yard patterns facing the blitz, and on 3rd and long would have guys run 3 yard outs. McNabb and an adequate coordinator makes us an instantly competitive team.

I think McNabb would be a perfect stop-gap. In the meantime, they can groom a young QB (still not sure who that's going to be) and fix our o-line. No sense bringing in the "next great Bills QB" if he's just going to have his confidence shattered like the QBs who came before him.

"decent"...did you watch any of our games this year?

All of them...every painful minute. I have to agree that the line should look good this year, with the addition of an LT.

I was impressed with Incognito in his brief stint here. I feel that keeping him at RG and putting Wood at C is a great move. Levitre was impressive all year long, and Butler can play RT, if he can stay on the field.

All great lines start somewhere, and I think we have a great line in the making. Levitre and Wood gained a lot of valuable experience, and if you add Incognito and Butler, that is a very young, very solid line. The only thing missing is the all-important LT.

McNabb allows us to get an LT in Rd 1. I still want McClain, but I think an LT would be better for the franchise in the long-run.

How can you say we're not ready to win? We were tied or led in the 4th quarter of every game this year but 2. You really don't think it is reasonable to think if we had a pro bowl QB like McNabb that a few of those Ls turn into Ws??? This is the NFL and teams go from 1-15 to make the playoffs the next season. Since nothing is guaranteed by a 2nd round draft pick, you take a proven QB and worry about winning now.

Taking McNabb out of his comfort zone (Reid and his offense) in addition to learning a new offensive set tells me he wouldn't be nearly as effective moving forward. I don't believe that by just plugging him we'd benefit from his previous success. It's not like everything else in place.

Implementing a new defense will also hinder immediate success.

Taking McNabb out of his comfort zone (Reid and his offense) in addition to learning a new offensive set tells me he wouldn't be nearly as effective moving forward. I don't believe that by just plugging him we'd benefit from his previous success. It's not like everything else in place.

definitely a good point, but then again, he could also come in and light up the scoreboard.. No way to tell for sure.

McNabb is a better option than Vick- as I want the Bills to have nothing to do with Vick.

I personally like Jeff Garcia for a 2-year deal, but McNabb could be just as good- though McNabb does seem to go through lapses sometimes.

Bringing in a veteran would provide insurance and allow either a draft pick or free agent or somebody already on the roster (Brohm or Edwards) to develop while being protected from the ravages of the NFL. It's a smart idea. This would not put the QB position in as much pressure as say, the offensive line was last year by trading Peters, not drafting a replacement like Oher, and cutting Walker the week before the opener.

Regardless, I truly believe that the Bills now have the proper staff and QB guru to help train and develop our future franchise guy. Whether that comes from the roster or the draft or free agency (I also like getting Thigpen in Buffalo as a #2), I don't really care.

I trust Nix will do the right thing.

I see the optimal acquisition of a qb as a free agent signing, or a trade of Lynch and a possibly a lower round pick. Ifwe can get Vick (my choice) OR McNabb, we will be a better team next year. We will never be a good team without addressing the o-line and d-line linebacker issues (especially if we are going to seriously consider a 3-4). No high pick for a qb...either a rookie or trade. That being said Philadelphia looks like a good hunting ground for cheap good back to get us to through rebuilding as they are the most likely landing spot for Lynch.

It would take at least a 2nd with some lower picks to get him. No way they trade him for a 3rd or lower.

We need a QB more than anything else and if we can get McNabb, that is great. I just wouldn't give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. I'd rather trade players and a lower round pick. Perhaps the Eagles would have interest in Whitner or Schobel.

We need a QB more than anything else and if we can get McNabb, that is great. I just wouldn't give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. I'd rather trade players and a lower round pick. Perhaps the Eagles would have interest in Whitner or Schobel.

Wrong. We need 3 or 4 other positions more than QB right now. LT, LB, D-line then QB.

PTR

Lee Evans is the perfect receiver for McNabb and will be a pro bowler with him.

And the Packers had a bad defense in 2008 and finished #2 overall in their first season with a 3-4 defense this year.

McNabb is not past his prime... if we have learned anything the past several years. it's that older QBs still can do well in this league. McNabb is still among the best QBs in the league (definitely top 10), and would help Buffalo tremendously for the next three to four seasons. He is easily worth a 2nd round draft pick, and Buddy and Chan know that. Look what he did w/ the youngins this year at the WR/TE position. If McNabb would have had half of running game this year, their offense would have been even more explosive. I like the pursuit b/c Evans/Reed would finally get the signal caller they deserve.

Lets build the lines first. We do not have one legitimate proven NFL starting tackle on our roster. There are few, if any, marquee QBs in this draft. None of them look to be blue chip prospects like Manning or Elway. Why waste pick 9 and 41 on a QB when we need so much help in other areas?

Lets improve our talent on the OL and in the defensive front 7, get a stop gap QB for now, look for the QB of the future next year.

Exactly. McNabb would end up on IR within 6 games behind our current O-line.

All of them...every painful minute. I have to agree that the line should look good this year, with the addition of an LT.

I was impressed with Incognito in his brief stint here. I feel that keeping him at RG and putting Wood at C is a great move. Levitre was impressive all year long, and Butler can play RT, if he can stay on the field.

All great lines start somewhere, and I think we have a great line in the making. Levitre and Wood gained a lot of valuable experience, and if you add Incognito and Butler, that is a very young, very solid line. The only thing missing is the all-important LT.

McNabb allows us to get an LT in Rd 1. I still want McClain, but I think an LT would be better for the franchise in the long-run.

Agree with the thoughts on the OLine. Ive never played OL so I cant speak from complete knowledge here but It seems like C takes less moving around on your feet than a G who is pulling on certain plays and making rushes upfield with the RB's. Moving Incognito to RG, and Wook at Center would make the interior of our line pretty mean and nasty. Would be better for Wood's leg and get him on the field faster I think too. Butler is (if he can stay healthy) a decent answer at RT if we can pick up a LT in round 2 were looking pretty good. And you have Bell, Scott, and Handgartner to back up. Handy can fill in at any of the interior roles, and Bell, Scott can work on the T's if needed.

I like the thought of McNabb or Vick here. Personally I think were better off with Vick because then we might actually have a shot at keeping TO as well. And that would be one less draft pick on another WR that nobody knows will be any good. If we get McNabb most likely TO will set sail out of town, but he has already stated how he thought Vick would be good for us. It might give him reason to stick around.

Either way, I wouldnt give up anything more than a #3 included with some other compensation. How bout we give them Lynch for either QB straight up? That way we keep out picks and were still looking ok. You can get a RB late in the draft that can be servicable, especially since Freddy has proved he can handle the load.

We will need a LB and LT in the draft for sure. IMO we take McClain, and then the best LT available in the 2nd round. If we took Vick and kept TO because of that signing we could be looking pretty good.

However I do agree that we are at least a year or 2 away from making any real splash. But a veteran QB could make us respectable right away.