One glaring need that everyone is overlooking

Stussy109

So what's the plan here? Give our horrible QBs the best possible receiving corps and hope it somehow works out? Does anyone think Austin Collie or Pierre Garcon would have done ANYTHING on a team with a crappy QB?

We have 2 young WRs with promise, neither of whom has gotten a lot of time on the field. Time for them to sink or swim. Next year, we'll have a better idea of exactly what our needs are at WR. In any case, the QB comes first. Unless you can get a true game-breaker like TO 5 years ago (as opposed to the TO we got, who was still good, but nothing really special), your WRs aren't *that* big of an issue. Focus on getting a QB and keeping him upright, then worry about getting him someone to throw to.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donte Stallworth anyone?

huhh?? our WRs are just fine.they dont have a QB that can get them the ball. WR is not a weakness.DB is less of a weakness. If we draft or get in FA anything other than D front 7 O line or QB...well...then we are the Buffalo Bills...

How can we judge our receivers? We haven't had a QB in I don't know how long.

Look how Viking receivers are all of the sudden great (and the Colts rookies as well). They have superstar QB's. Our receivers are fine. It has been the bad schemes and bad QB play that has been the problem.

So what's the plan here? Give our horrible QBs the best possible receiving corps and hope it somehow works out? Does anyone think Austin Collie or Pierre Garcon would have done ANYTHING on a team with a crappy QB?

We have 2 young WRs with promise, neither of whom has gotten a lot of time on the field. Time for them to sink or swim. Next year, we'll have a better idea of exactly what our needs are at WR. In any case, the QB comes first. Unless you can get a true game-breaker like TO 5 years ago (as opposed to the TO we got, who was still good, but nothing really special), your WRs aren't *that* big of an issue. Focus on getting a QB and keeping him upright, then worry about getting him someone to throw to.

AMEN...WR IS NEVER A GLARING NEED WHEN YOUR OL SUCKS AND YOU HAVE QUESTIONS EVERYWHERE ELSE. If there reaally good, they touch the ball 9 or 10 times a game. I'll puke if they draft a WR in the 1st 3 rounds.

They can add a wr after they plug the other glaring needs at OT and QB. WR is a luxury at this point.

You may not be right about Stallworth, but you are right about the glaring need for some receivers.

Evans, Johnson, Hardy...we are really going to win with them?

huhh?? our WRs are just fine.they dont have a QB that can get them the ball. WR is not a weakness.DB is less of a weakness. If we draft or get in FA anything other than D front 7 O line or QB...well...then we are the Buffalo Bills...

Agreed WR is not a need

Adding a cheap veteran is fine if they decide to give up on some of the existing players, but WR is not a draft need. Until there is a QB and a line that can keep him upright, the Bills could have Arizona's WRs and it wouldn't make any difference.

Remember what a huge year the TO-Evans combo was going to have in 2009? :wallbash:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Chambers in Buffalo, and I wouldn't mind taking a serious look @ Jordan Shipley. Shipley's a Welker clone that would more than just fill the void left be Reed. :wallbash::D

If Shipley is available in the third round I would snatch him. He might have the best hands in the draft. He's not flashy, just productive. A Nix type of player. :wallbash:

Count me out of the crowd that want to draft a WR this year.

I think we're all going to be impressed with the improvement on the Offensive side of the ball in 2010. After all, we now have a legitimate Offensive Coordinator (Gailey - not Modkins) that'll be game planning and calling plays. We haven't had a real OC since Killdrive left.

Stallworth is also a former 1st round pick

We could use someone to drive Marshawn around.

BTW, do you know the following about Stallworth:

2006 traded to the Eagles

2007 entered the league substance abuse program

2007 cut

2007 signed to a 6 year deal by the Patriots

2008 cut

2008 signed by the ever respected Cleveland Browns

2009 DUI manslaughter

suspended for the full season

2010 About to be released from Browns

Doesn't exactly sound like the kind of character Coach Gailey was talking about... but hey we have heard his name... lets sign him.

I agree we need a receiver, and expect us to ad one in the later rounds (4+). I think we should do this regardless of whether we add a FA vet, which is the logical choice for this year as our young guys continue to develop and/or bust. Given the time that it takes drafted receivers to mature, you need to keep putting some into the pipeline and we didn't add any last year.

I'd say no to big and slow, or small and weak WRs. To be worth their roster spot, they need to challenge for and back up a ST position.

Ok, I'm gonna stick up for Stallworth here because the comparisons to Vick, and the rest are just ridiculous. First off Stallworth never lied to the Commissioner's or anyone elses face regarding the accident. He called the police and ambulance for the guy and stayed there until the authorities arrived. Also, while he was drunk, Mr. Reyes (victim) was illegally crossing a major causeway that was poorly lit. Unlike guys like Lynch, Jones, and Vick Stallworth didn't run, didn't lie, and didn't try to cop out. He plead guilty to his crime, gave up his driver's license for life in Florida, and served his time. He has no other history of run ins with the law or anything like that so to lump him in with the thug moniker is wrong in my opinion.

Now, that said, let me tell you why I don't want him in Buffalo. One, he has a history of hamstring problems and he rarely plays all 16 games in a season and his stats are quite underwhelming. Two, he is still under contract with the cleveland browns after signing a 7 year deal prior to the 2009 season meaning we would have to trade for him because I doubt the Browns are going to release him and pay him all that cash while getting nothing in return.

+1

Donte Stallworth anyone?

I think you have to trust in a guy that has the kind of talent hardy has.. I really like Steve Johnson too... Hopefully Nelson continues to develop.. There are some talented young guys on the roster already... If they pick up another vet, I would not be opposed to Syallworth, but I'd rather have a big, physical guy... If Hardy has been training like HD shoujxbe, he'll be a lot stronger.

You may not be right about Stallworth, but you are right about the glaring need for some receivers.

Evans, Johnson, Hardy...we are really going to win with them?

Totally agree. Our receivers as a collective unit are mediocre at best. When do any of them get separation on a regular basis. The answer is never. Sure we want to give Hardy and Johnson a chance. But I think we need two additional guys who are fairly big and can run. Look at any of the top offenses in the league and they all have at 4 or 5 very solid WR's on their roster. Our receivers have been very underwhelming for most of the past decade. Anyone who says otherwise has not been watching us play very closely. When a team has not had a 300 yard passer in three seasons, it falls on more than the QB play.