Goodell tells Jags

5 Wide

I think the Bills future is some kind of sharing of the team with Toronto. The NFL wants the larger market but Goodell doesn't want the black eye moving the Bills completely would create.

PTR

I think that is the most likely scenario. That is kind of what we do now. I liked the idea of a stadium in Niagara Falls, NY. That would be one of the NFL's most unique venues. If it were close to the falls, people from Canada would be able to walk across, right?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't blame the organization as they have put together 2 very solid runs there in Jacksonville. They had a nice run in the late 1990's with Brunell and Jimmy Smith going to the AFC title game two years in a row. They also put together a nice run during the middle of this decade with the Henderson/Stroud led D.

They had a good run of playoff appearances (Including a victory or two) and have been very competitive from 2004 to 2007 their most recent semi successful run 9-7 in 2004, 12-4 2005, 8-8 2006, and 11-5 2007. The Jags are kind of the bizarro Buffalo Bills the Jags are a well run organization (Not the top of the NFL but they are competently run) but the fans don't support at times what has been an excellent or good product.

The Bills fans continue to support a very sub par product by a very poorly run organization while the Jags are run well but not supported by their fans. :wallbash: :wallbash:

I don't live in Buffalo so I can't go to games. I urge all you Buffaloians to support the team, no matter what.

Really? Sorry, I can't let you off that easy, especially if you are going to urge locals to buy tickets.

My son and I have made the trip once a year for two consecutive years, and it's a blast. In fact, I will be talking to my tax guy about the idea of buying season tix and donating them (minus the one game I can go to) to a local charity like Big Brothers/Big Sisters. If anyone knows whether donating tickets is considered a valid charitable contribution for tax purposes, let me know.

One of the main differences between the Bills and the Jags is that the Bills actually have fans that care about the team! Regardless of what some say here, that does make a big difference in the eyes of the NFL and the future of this franchise.

Unfortunately for the Jags, you can tell the people down there JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE TEAM. The Jags could be moved in the middle of the night and I don't think anyone would care or even notice.

The Bills are different. They are important to the fans and are a part of the fabric of the community. WE LOVE THIS TEAM WITH A PASSION and WE SUPPORT THIS TEAM!!!

The Bills and Jags should never be mentioned in the same sentence (unless we are playing them).

I live 400 miles away myself and enjoy watching this team whether good or bad, because it is entertaining. Win or lose we still have some dominant sides of the ball. This past year it was our Pass Defense. It gets frustrating when they are outcoached or outsmarted on a regular basis (thank you dick juaron) but hopefully we will be on an even playing field now.

NYS at least where I live didn't get "crushed" by the housing market, banks didn't get crazy and none closed. Idiots in the sunshine states pulled all of our ass's into this economic mess.

...The real issue goes back to who bought off the NFL to put a team in Jacksonville in the first place? If I remember right everybody figured it was going back to LA or Houston. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ went to someone.

You remember wrong. Jacksonville won over Baltimore and Saint Louis. This decision triggered the subsequent relocation rush especially after Tags told Baltimore fans to move on from the idea of getting a franchise.

I am telling you we are going to see the NFL go back to just 28 teams in the not so distant future.

I can't imagine what teams would get dropped. the Lions are pointless, but have a long history. Cleveland didn't accept losing their team lying down last time. Rams maybe?

I don't know, who do you think would be phased out?

I bet they totally change their name. LA Jaguars doesn't make any sense. Actually kind of sounds like one of those fake teams from Any Given Sunday

You mean like the Miami Sharks, Dallas Knights and the Albuquerque Aztecs?? The LA Griffindors.

I bet they totally change their name. LA Jaguars doesn't make any sense. Actually kind of sounds like one of those fake teams from Any Given Sunday

How much sense does the LA Lakers make? Or the Utah Jazz?

Valid point though. It is just a matter of time before the Jags are relocated.

It really is...the worst part about it is the team has been pretty good for most of the stretch where they have had problems selling tickets...what happens when they go 3-13 or 4-12? Tarp off another 20,000 seats?

What an embarrassment...

Is my glass too half full to think this reinforces that Buffalo is a completely viable NFL market?

Its like the old story Walter Payton used to tell about him going camping with plodding Bears fullback Matt Suhey. Payton said how Suhey awakened him from slumber in his sleeping bag to inform him a real Bear had invaded their camp site and was inspecting things looking for grub and was closing in their tent.

Payton then began to stuggle into his tennis shoes and Suhey "Sweetness (Payton's nickname) don't get me wrong you are an incredibly fast runner, but in a sprint you cannot physically outrun a bear over the short distance of a chase.

Payton replied, "I do not need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you."

Likewise with the Jax franchise vs. Buffalo, if Jax gets bought it simply takes the most financially healthy bid which might be made for the Bills out of the picture.

Its a definite advantage for the Bills to have Jax and in trouble and a more likely target than Buffalo for the potential owner groups out there even though it proves nothing in regard to Buffalo being a viable NFL market.

I agree with you. As long as the stadium sells out there is NO REASON to move the Bills. I don't live in Buffalo so I can't go to games. I urge all you Buffaloians to support the team, no matter what. The will get to the playoffs in the next year or two. If you sellout, they won't move. That is simple enough.

The Browns sold out for years and that didn't stop Art Modell. Do you really think the guy who buys the Bills when RW dies will care if the stadium sells out? He could move the team to a bigger market sell 10K less seats a game and make double the money with corporate boxes and seat licenses.