Goodell tells Jags

5 Wide

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=c...s&type=lgns

Pretty pointed comments from the commish

Florida's housing market just got crushed...Thats a big reason people arent buying season tickets there. You bought a house for 300k that is now going for 150k...you dont have lots of discretionary income.-And that includes buyers more or less from 2002-2008.Brutal.

Bigger markets can overcome a housing bust just by sheer numbers.

One of the main differences between the Bills and the Jags is that the Bills actually have fans that care about the team! Regardless of what some say here, that does make a big difference in the eyes of the NFL and the future of this franchise.

Unfortunately for the Jags, you can tell the people down there JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE TEAM. The Jags could be moved in the middle of the night and I don't think anyone would care or even notice.

The Bills are different. They are important to the fans and are a part of the fabric of the community. WE LOVE THIS TEAM WITH A PASSION and WE SUPPORT THIS TEAM!!!

The Bills and Jags should never be mentioned in the same sentence (unless we are playing them).

Florida's housing market just got crushed...Thats a big reason people arent buying season tickets there. You bought a house for 300k that is now going for 150k...you dont have lots of discretionary income.-And that includes buyers more or less from 2002-2008.Brutal.

The housing bust is not the real problem with the Jags. In your example those houses are only worth $150K if you sell them. If you stay put you ride out the market. Now, if you are so heavily leveraged and can't make the payment .. then you get killed.

The issue with Jax is that it is college football country. People would rather go to Gainesvile and watch the Gators then spend $ on the Jags. Expanding to Jax was always a curious choice IMO.

The housing bust is not the real problem with the Jags. In your example those houses are only worth $150K if you sell them. If you stay put you ride out the market. Now, if you are so heavily leveraged and can't make the payment .. then you get killed.

The issue with Jax is that it is college football country. People would rather go to Gainesvile and watch the Gators then spend $ on the Jags. Expanding to Jax was always a curious choice IMO.

Bob you are in St Louis where prices havent been affected in the way they have in FL AZ NV CA. It has a major major major effect on peoples buying habits.Yes you can ride it out..but you are nervous as hell that prices wont go back up for 10 + years. You cant borrow money because your net worth is zippo. Hard to start a business that way.Hard to get a car loan. Impossible(almost) to relocate to another town or to buy a different house in the same town.-When your finances become so locked up the last thing people think about is spending on non essential items.--So I beg to differ.

From what I've heard, the Jags have a horrible marketing department. I'm told if you drive around Florida you'll see billboards for the Dolphins and Bucks but nothing for the Jags. Its almost as if they've given up. Regardless of the housing bubble, there is still quite a bit of money down there, they just have not tapped into it or expanded their market down to the Space and Treasure Coasts.

Bob you are in St Louis where prices havent been affected in the way they have in FL AZ NV CA. It has a major major major effect on peoples buying habits.Yes you can ride it out..but you are nervous as hell that prices wont go back up for 10 + years. You cant borrow money because your net worth is zippo. Hard to start a business that way.Hard to get a car loan. Impossible(almost) to relocate to another town or to buy a different house in the same town.-When your finances become so locked up the last thing people think about is spending on non essential items.--So I beg to differ.

Good points by you for sure, and on top of all that is a fan base that would rather follow the Gators.

Plus, it seems to me that half the population in those cities are northern transplants who have no real affinity to a team that has no history. Same reason the hockey teams in the south draw like crap unless they are winning a Cup.

I am not worried about LA so much as I am the team being moved to Toronto.

This is what I've been saying. The Doomers around here are just looking for something to worry about. Jacksonville is a lot worse off than Buffalo. Mark my words, Buffalo is not going to Toronto either.

I think the Bills future is some kind of sharing of the team with Toronto. The NFL wants the larger market but Goodell doesn't want the black eye moving the Bills completely would create.

PTR

NYS at least where I live didn't get "crushed" by the housing market, banks didn't get crazy and none closed. Idiots in the sunshine states pulled all of our ass's into this economic mess.

...The real issue goes back to who bought off the NFL to put a team in Jacksonville in the first place? If I remember right everybody figured it was going back to LA or Houston. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ went to someone.

Is my glass too half full to think this reinforces that Buffalo is a completely viable NFL market?

I agree with you. As long as the stadium sells out there is NO REASON to move the Bills. I don't live in Buffalo so I can't go to games. I urge all you Buffaloians to support the team, no matter what. The will get to the playoffs in the next year or two. If you sellout, they won't move. That is simple enough.