New Defensive Coordinator - George Edwards

ajm

I really hope that with the current personnel (and even in the future) we run a hybrid... each formation has its strengths and weaknesses... so being able to switch between the 2 is the only way i can see being really successful, especially trying to run tampa 2 players in a 3-4 situation... get a few bigger guys and run a hybrid

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? They are the same size and have the same strengths as 3-4 DEs do. Stroud is a former all pro and Williams IMO will only improve incredibly in a 3-4. They are both more naturally 3 or 5 tech tackles, not 1 techs. If anything, Williams and Stroud have been playing out of position when they were forced to be 1 techs. Im not sure what type of 3-4 system this new dude employs, but I dont see any problem with asking Williams or Stroud to either penetrete one gap or fill 2 gaps.

Why are they not 3-4 DEs? Are you they guy suggesting Kelsay/Schobel/Maybin be our 3-4 DEs?

I never mentioned Kelsay/Schobel, or Maybin. I just don't think Stroud or Williams can play end. That's all.

YAWN....predicitably obscure pick for DC.

Denney (if he's back) and Kelsay might be okay 3-4 DEs. Can they hold their point and let Poz, McClain and other LBs make plays?? Maybe.

We would need less of a pass rush from them, so they got that covered.

They are not big enough 3-4 DEs are close to or over 300 pounds unless they are a freak of nature like Bruce who was less than 300 pounds but looked like he was chisled from stone. Do your home work people.

OK I like this hire just because the Tampa 2 is history. ;)

Second I like the 3-4 because this gets Maybin on the field in a stand up position.

I think Williams is strong enough to play nose. He looks like bigger version of Jeff Wright. Maybe Stroud can spell him on passing downs.

Kelsey can play end in a 3-4 I believe. If Schobel comes back he can play the other end. If not Ellis better step up big time or they will have to find a replacement.

But the key is the LB's. If they make the switch I would love to see them draft McClain and have him and Mitchell in the middle and Maybin and Poz on the outside.

But who they draft depends on who they get during the free agent period. If they can get LB this way they can still draft a OB or LT (my choice) in the first round.

This is going to be interesting.

you believe? your wrong they can't why not look at the Ds in our division and do your homework it doesn't take much time and it's the best way for people that don't know much about Football to learn.

I dont think Denny or Kelsay are in our future as DE's. They were not great against the run when they had an extra DL helping them to the side.

We are going to be seeing some new faces folks.....both at DL and LB. I think that Stroud, Williams, and Spencer can be DE's in this system. We also have LB's to play it but will now need reserve guys that are not 220 pound lb's

So Gailey goes from being fired as an offensive coordinator to hired as our HC. What's-his-nose goes from RBs coach on a bad running team to OC (not really fair, since it's sort of a token title, per Gailey's intro press conference). But since Gailey will have virtually no hand in the D, his DC is very important. Dude has 1 year of DC experience, and goes from Miami's inside linebackers coach to our DC.

Anyone else notice that the Bills seem to be all about massive promotions when hiring coaches? I don't think that's a good sign.

Agree 100%. But, I thought about this... realistically, how do you convince someone to come here? You're selling a bad product, and are paid lower with respect to your peers.

You can only lure an equal counterpart away if you can make a more compelling offer, which we can't. So the only way you're going to get that guy is either promoting from within or giving someone a pretty substantial promotion to convince them to move their entire family to WNY. It's tough, but it's our reality right now until the Bills become a winning organization.

Let me qualify this by saying I'm a big Gator fan, but this stinks of recruiting shenanigans. Lure young kids to Gainsville under the guise of coaching continuity -even with meyers expected LOA- then bail the day after Signing Day..

Otherwise, I've never heard of the guy..

Loving it! Go Noles!

Seems wasteful to switch defensive fronts and create more holes for a team that has many already.

We have to build a real defensive front whether we switch or not, so its not that big a deal. As far as the guy who said that Stroud and Williams aren't DE's, anyone remember Washington and Williams in "The Package"?

They are not big enough 3-4 DEs are close to or over 300 pounds unless they are a freak of nature like Bruce who was less than 300 pounds but looked like he was chisled from stone. Do your home work people.

Puhlease....

The assertion is that some players may be able to bulk up to 280-285 (which is starting point for 3-4 DE) and be good enough to do what 3-4 ends do....which is not much. I personally doubt it, but you're about to see it. They can't cut everyone just because they changed coaches.

Homework....

Seems wasteful to switch defensive fronts and create more holes for a team that has many already.

That's the way the Bills roll.

Honestly, Dick Jauron was more qualified as a DC that this new guy. Hopefully, I'll be wrong...

We have to build a real defensive front whether we switch or not, so its not that big a deal. As far as the guy who said that Stroud and Williams aren't DE's, anyone remember Washington and Williams in "The Package"?

Washington and Williams were both playing DT. "The package" was a 4-3 defense.

Yep, and recruits should remember that in the future when considering Florida.

This makes no sense. "Florida" did not bail out on its recruits. A "Man" did and his name was George Edward. This does NOT reflect on Florida, which is one of the best run college football operations in existence from top-to-bottom.

Not exactly an already-accomplished staff.

However, being realistic, the coaching staff matters a smidge, the players matter A LOT. The Bills currently don't

have the players to win with if Vince Lombardi were reincarnated as their coach.

So, let's get the players to win with and see how this coaching staff can handle that.

Looking over a few rosters of other 3-4 teams, most of the DEs are somewhere in the 280-300 range.

Denny might be able to put that much weight on his frame; I doubt if any of the other DEs can.

Schobel and Maybin appear to be good fits at OLB, the rest of the DE on the roster are kind of in limbo.

As others have mentioned, most of the DTs on the roster are better suited to DE than NT in a 3-4. The Bills will probably have to pick up a pair of NTs either in the draft or FA.

Pos and Mitchell appear to be the leading candidates for the ILB jobs, leaving a glut of players competing for the OLB spots:

Schobel, Maybin, and possibly other DEs curerntly on the roster, Ellison, Harris, Palmer all competing for probably 4 roster spots total. Maybe Ellison becomes a backup ILB who contributes mostly on ST.