Tyler Thigpen

If he's really worth having, the Dols won't let him go. When your starting QB (it's Chad Henne, folks) goes down and your backup is Pat White---your season is over.

Thigpen may be a decent QB, but take a closer look---he struggles to complete passes. His "great year" saw him barely completing over 50% and he had several games below that. He took 26 sacks.He threw 420 times but only racked up 2600 yards. He is 1-10 as a starter.

Yeah that Chiefs team was also a disaster all around. It was clearly the beginning of a rebuilding phase. They traded Jared Allen, their franchise player, and handed the reins to Brodie Croyle, who promptly got hurt. If you want to talk about a bad QB, look at Croyle that year. 2 games, 2 starts....20-29 for 151 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT.

The 2008 Chiefs used 4 QB's--Croyle, Damon Huard, Quinn Gray and Tyler Thigpen. Thigpen completed 54.8% of his passes to a group of receivers that had Tony Gonzalez and Dwayne Bowe...and not much else. Mark Bradley played only 10 games. Devard Darling...who? The Chiefs receiving went like this: Gonzalez 96, Bowe 86, Bradley 30, Jamaal Charles 27, Darling 17.

When your BACKUP running back is your 4th leading receiver, clearly the team wasn't working with much split out wide. On top of that, their rushing offense was putrid. 102 week 1, 55 week 2, 35 week 5, 58 week 7, 80 week 8, 76 week 10, 83 week 14, 31 week 17. In 8 of their games they either barely broke 100 yards or were well under that total....and that's because the offensive line was so young and inexperienced.

Branden Albert was a rookie at LT. Brian Waters was at LG. Rudy Niswanger was at C. Wade Smith and Adrian Jones split time at RG. Smith was making his first starts since 2004, Jones since 2005. Damion McIntosh started at RT, then went to Seattle in 2009 and only started 2 games for an offensive line that was missing it's LT Walter Jones all season.

Essentially, they started a rookie LT, an All-Pro LG, a 3rd year pro making his first starts at C, and journeymen who hadn't started in YEARS on the right side. Their running game was awful, and then they entrusted a rookie QB to put the points up when the defenses knew he was going to pass....and he only had 2 good receiving options. It's a miracle he even completed 55% of his passes.

I'm not saying that he is the next Manning...but I think he has a shot at being an above average NFL QB when you look at the big picture of the 08 Chiefs.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, did you say TRADE for Tyler Thigpen?? Why not grab Derek Anderson while your at it. He had about 30 TDs a coupla years ago....

I hope they hold on to their draft picks, add even more and draft well. If we're looking for Kelly's replacement, he's not buried on some other team's depth chart.

...and he's not even better than what we already have. What the heck is the difference between Thigpen and Fitzpatrick?

Thigpen's last five starts:

Completion 58%

5 touchdowns

5 interceptions

1031 passing yards

Fitzpatrick's last five starts:

Completion 59%

6 touchdowns

4 interceptions

763 passing yards

They are the same QB people.

Makes sense. Drafting a QB would be a waste. Wait until next year when big time talent comes out. Draft O Line, get DL in Free Agency (ralph too cheap though), and draft LB. Thigpen plays right away. Win some games. Go from there. This thing ain't turnin' around to be be a winning franchise anytime soon, so do it right.

works for me

Chan Gailey had great sucess with Thigpen in Kansas City in 2008 (18 TDs-12INTs-3 Rushing TD's). He knows Gaileys offense. Seems like a natural pocket QB. Has a strong arm, young (25). Played in COLD weather. Was traded to Miami because the Chefs new regime paid their golden boy out the rear. Dolphins are commited to Henne. They also seem to like Pat White. Can problably be had with a 4th round pick. Great value especially considering the fairly weak QB class. Showed he can play, and played very well for Gailey just 1 year ago. I wouldn't mind him as a realistic starting QB who can come in and play right away.

1. Thigpen

2. Fitzpatrick

3. Brohm

Sorry but I get a littlle excited about a young QB who knows the offense and has succeeded in it. Don't be Suprised.

Flame away!

I wouldn't be surprised with Jackie Chan's history with him, might be a little disgusted though. Whatever happened to Brodie Croyle?

...and he's not even better than what we already have. What the heck is the difference between Thigpen and Fitzpatrick?

Thigpen's last five starts:

Completion 58%

5 touchdowns

5 interceptions

1031 passing yards

Fitzpatrick's last five starts:

Completion 59%

6 touchdowns

4 interceptions

763 passing yards

They are the same QB people.

Thigpen had 10 consecutive starts in 2008 for the chiefs over that period-

192-330 (57.8)- 2216 16td's 7 ints and 3 more rushing thats 19td's in 10 games

as a FIRST time starter with a bad team, poor o-line and one receiver

All our QB's this year went

254-439 (57.8)- 2737 15td's 19ints and 1 more on the ground that is 16 touchdowns but in 16 games

as VETERAN starters witha bad team, poor o-line due to injury and a good ground game and multiple recievers

I'll take a 25 year old first time starter versus our collection of never was veterans

Willing to bet a guy would develop with the same coach in year two

I'm sorry, did you say TRADE for Tyler Thigpen?? Why not grab Derek Anderson while your at it. He had about 30 TDs a coupla years ago....

I hope they hold on to their draft picks, add even more and draft well. If we're looking for Kelly's replacement, he's not buried on some other team's depth chart.

I dont get why everyone says we are looking for Kellys replacement. Its not going to happen. Kelly will probably go down as the best Bills QB of all time, and we will most likely be saying that for a very long time. Not every year do QB's like him fall off the wagon and wait to get picked up. It really takes the right situation.

If we keep waiting for the next Kelly, we will always end up dissapointed. Thigpen was a good QB and threw for more yards, and TD's in 11 games than Trent has in his best year. In fact in 1 year Thigpen has only 5 less TD's than Trents career number. The guy played on a team that would make the Bills talent look like a bunch of Super Bowl stars playing against college players (proof of that in 08 when we went into KC and put up the most points we have in a very long time). I say make a trade for Thigpen, pick him up. Do what it takes to get him here and compete with Trent, Fitz and Brohm. There is bound to be something out of these QB's. And I say that because Trent and Fitz might not be all that bad considering who their coaches have been all this time. For all we know, Trent is the next John Elway but he has been coached so horribly that he looks like Ryan leaf.

Flame away but stats dont lie. Thigpen has proven to be a much better QB than anyone weve seen on this team since Drew Bedsore.

underwhelming fail

This from the guy that is 100% convinced of Brian Brohm's inevitable greatness?

The dichotomy here is astounding. Take a guy that threw for almost 3,000 yards and 18 TDs in 10 starts, with a horrible offensive line and absolutely no running game, and he's an "underwhelming fail"...but take a guy that couldn't make an NFL roster and looked lousy in his only regular-season action (in which the team crossed midfield only three times the entire game) and you're convinced he's the answer...what gives?

For my part, I'd take Thigpen over any QB on the 2009 roster, and it ain't close.

Kelly's replacement = NFL calibre QB. I would not be surprised at all if our opening day starter is already on the roster...and I'm not talking Fitzpatrick.

If Gailey is so good at developing QBs, maybe he can develop Edwards. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Willing to bet a guy would develop with the same coach in year two

Isn't that what has been said here for the past 7 or 8 seasons?

Still not sure why KC let him go, given how unproven Cassell was for them at that point---and how crappy their backups are now.

Kelly's replacement = NFL calibre QB. I would not be surprised at all if our opening day starter is already on the roster...and I'm not talking Fitzpatrick.

If Gailey is so good at developing QBs, maybe he can develop Edwards. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

If an NFL caliber QB is on the Bills roster, the closest there is would be Edwards. Brohm, Fitz and Hamden are nowhere close and never will be. Brohm=a few years on practice squads, then out of football. Fitz=career backup, more suited to be a #3. Hamden=career (and short one at that) #3. Edwards=we are in trouble when he is the best we have.

Chan Gailey had great sucess with Thigpen in Kansas City in 2008 (18 TDs-12INTs-3 Rushing TD's). He knows Gaileys offense. Seems like a natural pocket QB. Has a strong arm, young (25). Played in COLD weather. Was traded to Miami because the Chefs new regime paid their golden boy out the rear. Dolphins are commited to Henne. They also seem to like Pat White. Can problably be had with a 4th round pick. Great value especially considering the fairly weak QB class. Showed he can play, and played very well for Gailey just 1 year ago. I wouldn't mind him as a realistic starting QB who can come in and play right away.

1. Thigpen

2. Fitzpatrick

3. Brohm

Sorry but I get a littlle excited about a young QB who knows the offense and has succeeded in it. Don't be Suprised.

Flame away!

Seriously? Tyler Thigpen? He is your future in Buffalo??? He fits right in with Trent, Fitzpatrick, Brohm and Hamdan...at least he DOES FIT IN with those bums, because it has seemed he has not fit in down in Miami...being a 3rd stringer, and the 1 game I saw him play, it was so horrible, I felt bad for the kid.

Now, I am all about more "Tyler's"...the more "Tyler's" we have the better off the world will be... :wallbash:

But Tyler Thigpen sucks.