Tyler Thigpen

Yeah that Chiefs team was also a disaster all around. It was clearly the beginning of a rebuilding phase. They traded Jared Allen, their franchise player, and handed the reins to Brodie Croyle, who promptly got hurt. If you want to talk about a bad QB, look at Croyle that year. 2 games, 2 starts....20-29 for 151 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT.

The 2008 Chiefs used 4 QB's--Croyle, Damon Huard, Quinn Gray and Tyler Thigpen. Thigpen completed 54.8% of his passes to a group of receivers that had Tony Gonzalez and Dwayne Bowe...and not much else. Mark Bradley played only 10 games. Devard Darling...who? The Chiefs receiving went like this: Gonzalez 96, Bowe 86, Bradley 30, Jamaal Charles 27, Darling 17.

When your BACKUP running back is your 4th leading receiver, clearly the team wasn't working with much split out wide. On top of that, their rushing offense was putrid. 102 week 1, 55 week 2, 35 week 5, 58 week 7, 80 week 8, 76 week 10, 83 week 14, 31 week 17. In 8 of their games they either barely broke 100 yards or were well under that total....and that's because the offensive line was so young and inexperienced.

Branden Albert was a rookie at LT. Brian Waters was at LG. Rudy Niswanger was at C. Wade Smith and Adrian Jones split time at RG. Smith was making his first starts since 2004, Jones since 2005. Damion McIntosh started at RT, then went to Seattle in 2009 and only started 2 games for an offensive line that was missing it's LT Walter Jones all season.

Essentially, they started a rookie LT, an All-Pro LG, a 3rd year pro making his first starts at C, and journeymen who hadn't started in YEARS on the right side. Their running game was awful, and then they entrusted a rookie QB to put the points up when the defenses knew he was going to pass....and he only had 2 good receiving options. It's a miracle he even completed 55% of his passes.

I'm not saying that he is the next Manning...but I think he has a shot at being an above average NFL QB when you look at the big picture of the 08 Chiefs.

I totally agree. There is a better shot of him making it than drafting a QB. I always liked him. I guess we'll see what the Bills do..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Thigpen would be a great idea.

KC was pretty good that year, and I can remember asking myself "where'd they find this kid?" when I was watching Thigpen.

I would love to see Thigpen and Jeff Garcia brought in as insurance.

Saying Fitz is deserving of starting for a real NFL franchise is ridiculous to say the least. He's expendable.

I would give Edwards a last chance to win a spot in training camp but he would be competing for his job with Brohm, Garcia, and Thigpen.

Let the fireworks commence!

If an NFL caliber QB is on the Bills roster, the closest there is would be Edwards. Brohm, Fitz and Hamden are nowhere close and never will be. Brohm=a few years on practice squads, then out of football. Fitz=career backup, more suited to be a #3. Hamden=career (and short one at that) #3. Edwards=we are in trouble when he is the best we have.

Wow, you should be a scout if you can already tell Brohm will never make it! Please tell us all what the Bills should do at QB position...

I dont really care about the stats. He played very well in every game I saw him. I think its a great idea.

But this team has the greatest luxury of all - who knows Thigpen better than Gailey? Almost no one. If Gailey thinks he has what it takes then I would hope he goes after him. If we dont go after him, then I assume its cause Gailey knows he is not worth the effort. I think others out there would be Campbell in Wash or Kitna from Dallas. Kitna is the better short term answer I think. I mean he had a lot of great seasons considering the teams he was on. Garcia is another option. We have many opportunities out there, lets hope we go with one for a change.

If he's really worth having, the Dols won't let him go. When your starting QB (it's Chad Henne, folks) goes down and your backup is Pat White---your season is over.

Thigpen may be a decent QB, but take a closer look---he struggles to complete passes. His "great year" saw him barely completing over 50% and he had several games below that. He took 26 sacks.He threw 420 times but only racked up 2600 yards. He is 1-10 as a starter.

which still would make him the best QB on the Bills