Football Outsiders on Schobel--1 of the 2 or 3 best DEs in 2009

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/

Schobel's value

Football Outsiders is a publication and a website that crunches NFL numbers in creative ways. The website gave Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel very high marks for the 2009 season. Schobel ranked third among NFL defensive players in "successes" and first in "defeats" at the line of scrimmage.

The idea behind the stats is it's not so much about takcles but where the tackles happen and what effect they have. Success rate measures the plays in which the defensive player caused the opposing offense to have an unsuccessful play, according to the FO definition. Defeats measures the number of plays in which the defensive player prevented the offense from gaining a first down on third or fourth down.

The FO Ranking for Most Successes: Justin Tuck (NYG) 55, Trent Cole (Phila) 51, Aaron Schobel (Buf) 50, Marques Douglas (NYJ) 50, Andre Carter (Wash) 50. The FO Ranking for Most Defeats: Schobel (Buf) 30, Jared Allen (Min) 27, Andre Carter (Wash) 26.

The stats favor defensive ends, but FO crunches the numbers for linebackers and defensive backs, too.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schobel's value

Football Outsiders is a publication and a website that crunches NFL numbers in creative ways. The website gave Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel very high marks for the 2009 season. Schobel ranked third among NFL defensive players in "successes" and first in "defeats" at the line of scrimmage.

The idea behind the stats is it's not so much about takcles but where the tackles happen and what effect they have. Success rate measures the plays in which the defensive player caused the opposing offense to have an unsuccessful play, according to the FO definition. Defeats measures the number of plays in which the defensive player prevented the offense from gaining a first down on third or fourth down.

The FO Ranking for Most Successes: Justin Tuck (NYG) 55, Trent Cole (Phila) 51, Aaron Schobel (Buf) 50, Marques Douglas (NYJ) 50, Andre Carter (Wash) 50. The FO Ranking for Most Defeats: Schobel (Buf) 30, Jared Allen (Min) 27, Andre Carter (Wash) 26.

The stats favor defensive ends, but FO crunches the numbers for linebackers and defensive backs, too.

I think everyone is actually scared to make a comment much less flame away. It is a good thing that it was Schobel and not Kelsay!

I do find it interesting looking at some outside the norm stats for otherwise not recognized insight. However I also consider that these like most stats have multiple ways to read into them and therefore alone they cannot constitute a true reflection of a player in and among themselves.

That being said I do believe a healthy Schobel can make a significant contribution on defense not only in sacks or tackles for a loss but also in not so easily defined areas of major contribution as exhibited above.

Schobel's value

Say what you will but our D this season had a lot more sacks and a better pass rush this season there is no doubt in my mind that Schobel was the main reason for it. 10 sacks plus a lot of pressure off the edge at times how can anyone hate on Schobel? And I am glad the football outsiders metrics support this.

Now I know why they're outsiders. Because if they knew anything about the Bills, they'd know that everyone and everything associated with the Bills is wrong, bad, and/or otherwise shouldn't be in the league. While, converserly, everyone and everything on any other team is right, good, and/or otherwise the way it should be in the league.

I'll never understand the criticism some direct at Schobel. Of all the things the bills have gone through over the past decade, Schobel has been a !@#$ing warrior and one of the few bright spots of this team.

I appreciate the post, Dave but this is nothing new to keen observers of the game. Schoebel has been an upper echelon DE for most of his career. There are some around here who need to learn to watch and appreciate some of the finer nuances of the game to see that.

GO BILLS!!!

Say what you will but our D this season had a lot more sacks and a better pass rush this season there is no doubt in my mind that Schobel was the main reason for it. 10 sacks plus a lot of pressure off the edge at times how can anyone hate on Schobel? And I am glad the football outsiders metrics support this.

Yup. Look at how many sacks we got last year with Schobel out. One of the worst in the league. And this year with Schobel back and no new players except the red-hot Aaron Maybin, one of the best.

It's sad but true but many fans here are still comparing everybody to Bruce Smith.

Stats are all hogwash, especially the BS ones that that site refers to. Schobel has one game every year that is an outlier and makes him look like a superstar. This year it was ATl, his PB season it was the Jets. He is pretty bad against the run too. No where near a top of the league DE.

Schobel's value

I also believe that this is inflated as the bills defense was on the field 2 games worth of plays longer than most of the defenses. So i hope he would be up there.

Stats are all hogwash, especially the BS ones that that site refers to. Schobel has one game every year that is an outlier and makes him look like a superstar. This year it was ATl, his PB season it was the Jets. He is pretty bad against the run too. No where near a top of the league DE.

What's hogwash is a fan judging an offensive or defensive lineman's performance from the perspective television broadcasts give you, and saying that the only games in which he performs adequately are those that result in at least three sacks.

Schobel plays the run better than he gets credit for. If he retires, it's going to be an adventure replacing him because Maybin needs another year to fill out and get stronger.

He's about as savvy a DE as there is in the NFL and Chan Gailey needs to get to work if he hasn't already on keeping his best player.

Schobel's value

And people thought I was crazy for suggesting that Schobel is just as good as Jared Allen.

Could anyone truly say they believe any other DE in the league would be more effective on our roster as an overall player? Schobel is one of the leagues best and most underappreciated DE's in the current game. He is a classic Buffalo player. He reminds me of Phil Hansen. Hansen never got the fame that Smith did, but he could perform on every play, with consistency, and had a work-man like attitude; something many of us can appreciate.

I agree with sullivan from eary on this year - he was the most impactful bill we had, and him coming back was more impt then TO. we should trade him if he wants to retired. trade him to the 'boys or texans. the guy has game and deserves to be on a winning team. maybe the Colts if Polian will give us anything...