Football Outsiders on Schobel--1 of the 2 or 3 best DEs in 2009

Aside from one player (Allen), my point exactly. Dumervil is not elite, he has been a good rusher, but this was his first big time year as far as his career is concerned. Last season was that same - break out once in a career - type season for Harrison. Mathis is not even the top pass rusher on his team. Banta-Cain has started 25 games in his 7 year career, Andre Carter has gotten to double digit sack 3 times in his 9 year career. Orakpo is a rookie. Aside from Allen, none of the players you mentioned have proven to be elite over the years. Some havent even been full time starters throughout their careers. Sure Harrison had a huge year last year, but that was once. Schobel has had that year too (2006), which he followed up with a hugely disappointing season.

As far as Allen goes, in 2008 his highest sack game was 2.5, in a year he had 14.5. Same with 2007, when he had 15.5. So sure, he had one season when it was lopsided, but his other season thats not true.

Elite players are always dominating. Teams always game plan for them. As the season went on, I saw more and more teams double teaming K.Willaims, and not Schobel. Thats not what happens to the leagues top 1-3 DE. I never said he sucked, I said saying he is better than Allen/Freeney/Peppers/M.Willaims/Ware even the Will Smiths/Merrimans/Suggs - guys who produce vrs constant double teams and come through in clutch situations - is hogwash.

I feel like Schobel is a very good DE not quite dominating but definitely in that second category where he can be dominating at times but disappear at others but mostly maintains a good level of play. I feel like Schobel is definitely underrated among the league and even some Bills fan. He is a very good player and a warrior who was most of Buffalo's pass rush this season. I hope he decides to come back for one more year we need him.

Also factor in the fact that since 2004 Schobel hasn't really been on a team that has put him in a position to dominate (Pat Williams and Sam Adams getting attention on the inside really helped Schobel off the edge) yet he still has been effective for most of his tenure here.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to explain what 24 other DEs supposedly "better" than Schobel dominate 16 games per year?

Most of the "elite" DEs rack up big sack numbers in just a couple of games.

I'd love to hear that too. :thumbdown:

you bet :lol:

I will never understand the lack of respect for Schobel.

People don't watch the games and look at the sack stat only. Then they believe they are qualified to make these judgments.

BTW, who thought he should fetch a first round pick? A guy who was pondering retirement this year and is on the beginning of the downslope of his career and they think he should fetch a first rounder? Not getting a first for him has nothing to do with his present abilities. I guess the Bills should send a 1st round pick for Jason Taylor. :P

No- you get a first round pick for a hall of fame type player. If he can help us move up to get Okung or Bulaga, I am all for it. He will be retired by the time we can evolve into a playoff-type team anyways, so he can't really help us much

Schoebel is done in Buffalo. But if he would consider a trade to a contender I say we get some picks/move up whatever we can get for him.

PTR

Stats are all hogwash, especially the BS ones that that site refers to. Schobel has one game every year that is an outlier and makes him look like a superstar. This year it was ATl, his PB season it was the Jets. He is pretty bad against the run too. No where near a top of the league DE.

i think most of the LTs in the league would disagree with you.

I'd love to hear that too. :thumbdown:

People don't watch the games and look at the sack stat only. Then they believe they are qualified to make these judgments.

BTW, who thought he should fetch a first round pick? A guy who was pondering retirement this year and is on the beginning of the downslope of his career and they think he should fetch a first rounder? Not getting a first for him has nothing to do with his present abilities. I guess the Bills should send a 1st round pick for Jason Taylor. :lol:

SEE: Seymour, Richard

Career Stats more

Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF

2009 Buffalo Bills 16 16 56 34 22 10.0 0 4 1 26 26.0 26T 1 3

2008 Buffalo Bills 5 5 19 18 1 1.0 -- 1 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2007 Buffalo Bills 16 16 57 45 12 6.5 -- 5 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 5

2006 Buffalo Bills 16 16 53 35 18 14.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 3

2005 Buffalo Bills 16 16 71 54 17 12.0 -- 4 1 0 0.0 0 0 2

2004 Buffalo Bills 16 16 73 45 28 8.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 5

2003 Buffalo Bills 16 16 60 37 23 11.5 -- 2 1 6 6.0 6 0 1

2002 Buffalo Bills 16 16 52 34 18 8.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

2001 Buffalo Bills 16 11 42 31 11 6.5 -- 2 -- -- 0.0 -- -- 0

TOTAL 483 333 150 78.0 0 26 3 32 -- 26 1 19

sorry it looks funny.

1st colum is games played

2nd colum is games started

NUMBERS IN BOLD ARE HIS SACKS.

those tackle #s are good for a DE

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/

Schobel's value

Football Outsiders is a publication and a website that crunches NFL numbers in creative ways. The website gave Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel very high marks for the 2009 season. Schobel ranked third among NFL defensive players in "successes" and first in "defeats" at the line of scrimmage.

The idea behind the stats is it's not so much about takcles but where the tackles happen and what effect they have. Success rate measures the plays in which the defensive player caused the opposing offense to have an unsuccessful play, according to the FO definition. Defeats measures the number of plays in which the defensive player prevented the offense from gaining a first down on third or fourth down.

The FO Ranking for Most Successes: Justin Tuck (NYG) 55, Trent Cole (Phila) 51, Aaron Schobel (Buf) 50, Marques Douglas (NYJ) 50, Andre Carter (Wash) 50. The FO Ranking for Most Defeats: Schobel (Buf) 30, Jared Allen (Min) 27, Andre Carter (Wash) 26.

The stats favor defensive ends, but FO crunches the numbers for linebackers and defensive backs, too.

schobel had a good year.lets leave it at that.and not get carried away.