Favre Interception - Worst Ever?

bbb

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had already decided not to kick. As I recall, it was something like 10 below and their kicker had missed both an extra point and two FGs that game.

You took out the part of the quote were he told Sipe if it wasn't wide open, throw it in Lake Erie. They didn'y decide not to kick. They just knew it wasn't a gimme, hence that throw. You still don't make that throw.

Anyone who blames the loss yesterday on Favre's INT Is stupid. The 2 fumbles in the red zone. The poor pass protection. The crappy calls in OT. The Special teams giving up a good return in OT. The 12 men on the field problem.

This quote is more the truth.

I nominate the Vikings offensive line for poor blocking. Favre got beat up and the line didn't seem to adjust.

Also after the interception, wasn't the game tied. It just forced OT. I blame the "heads" call for the loss, Special Teams, Coaching or the Defense. Favre was on the sideline hurt in OT. Very strange way to look at Favres intercepton as the reason they lost. It led to no direct score for the other team. Wasted opportunity, yes. Favre gets a pass on that one for playing with guts all game.

Worst EVER!!!!

That play and ill advised pass should be shown to EVERY rookie QB who enters the NFL. It is the quintessential gun slinger ill advised throwing back across your body and the field reckless play with EVERYTHING on the line. Farve's come back, the Vikings entire season and his legacy was riding on that pass. All of it literally thrown away with one bad decision.

I like Farve and feel badly for him but that was the most bone headed play I have ever seen on the largest stage outside of the superbowl.

Worst EVER!!!!

That play and ill advised pass should be shown to EVERY rookie QB who enters the NFL. It is the quintessential gun slinger ill advised throwing back across your body and the field reckless play with EVERYTHING on the line. Farve's come back, the Vikings entire season and his legacy was riding on that pass. All of it literally thrown away with one bad decision.

I like Farve and feel badly for him but that was the most bone headed play I have ever seen on the largest stage outside of the superbowl.

I for one do not feel bad for him. The guy is not a "team player" in those situations IMO. He thinks im Brett Favre i can make this pass.

Worst EVER!!!!

Despite what everybody else has said, I think that you summed up why I'm leaning toward this being the worst ever. All the factors involved. Not Carolina getting some win because of a Bubby Brister pass during the regular season.

What you guys aren't accounting for is that Favre has also COMPLETED that pass more than any other QB in history, because he has a cannon of an arm and takes shots. You get the bad with the good. It was a bad gamble. It was typical Brett Favre. I'm not excusing the throw, but if anyone can make it, Favre can. And there have been FAR worse interceptions throughout history.

What you guys aren't accounting for is that Favre has also COMPLETED that pass more than any other QB in history, because he has a cannon of an arm and takes shots. You get the bad with the good. It was a bad gamble. It was typical Brett Favre. I'm not excusing the throw, but if anyone can make it, Favre can. And there have been FAR worse interceptions throughout history.

Seriously WORST EVER!!! Yes Farve is a gunslinger. Yes he has failed and also succeeded attempting this pass before. No I am not surprised he made the attempt. Matter of fact I said just before the play Farve just needs to not throw a dumb pick trying to force things.

The point is....when all you have to do is take the 5 yards and run out of bounds and let your kicker make a 40 yd field goal there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to take the risk. It was dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Seriously WORST EVER!!! Yes Farve is a gunslinger. Yes he has failed and also succeeded attempting this pass before. No I am not surprised he made the attempt. Matter of fact I said just before the play Farve just needs to not throw a dumb pick trying to force things.

The point is....when all you have to do is take the 5 yards and run out of bounds and let your kicker make a 40 yd field goal there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to take the risk. It was dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Go back and look at the replay... it is a myth that Favre could have gotten more than two or three yards running it on this play...btw- it would have been a 56 yard attempt, if Favre had thrown the ball away...if he runs it (he would have gotten tackled before getting far) he might have been able to make it a 53 yard attempt... did you see the play?

Go back and look at the replay... it is a myth that Favre could have gotten more than two or three yards running it on this play...btw- it would have been a 56 yard attempt, if Favre had thrown the ball away...if he runs it (he would have gotten tackled before getting far) he might have been able to make it a 53 yard attempt... did you see the play?

It's not the worst...not by a long shot. If anything, blame needs to be placed on the play-calling. You went ultra-conservative on the first two plays, why not run a simple screen play and pick up a few more yards and take the shot? Poor coaching did the Vikes in as much, if not more, than that pass.

Uh...I think that's a safe assumption that we have all seen the play. And yes he could have made the 5 yard run. OOB may have been a stretch but the guy had 5 yards in him. If memory serves from here at work he was very close to the LOS with no defender inside 3 yards of him when he chucked that ill advised ball.

that receiver didn't do him any favors on that interception....he should have come towards the ball......you don't stay waiting for it to arrive.

brett farve was not the main reason they lost that game.....they beat themselves with penalties and turnovers.....fumbling 6 times and losing 3 of em.

that receiver didn't do him any favors on that interception....he should have come towards the ball......you don't stay waiting for it to arrive.

brett farve was not the main reason they lost that game.....they beat themselves with penalties and turnovers.....fumbling 6 times and losing 3 of em.

Given the WR's footing and momentum I don't think he could have really come back towards the ball. Although you are correct that it wasn't the whole reason why the Vikings lost but the point of the thread is was it the worst interception ever?

Yes the Vikings as a TEAM lost 4 or 5 turn overs prior to the interception. The problem is they were in a position to win the game when Farve made the last one! Nobody remembers a 1st quarter fumble but they remember a 4th quarter interception in scoring position.

Uh...I think that's a safe assumption that we have all seen the play. And yes he could have made the 5 yard run. OOB may have been a stretch but the guy had 5 yards in him. If memory serves from here at work he was very close to the LOS with no defender inside 3 yards of him when he chucked that ill advised ball.

Troy Aikman said he could have gotten "10-15" yards, but that is bs... there were two Saints defenders, heading his way, when he threw it, about 7 yards in front of him, and another, coming from Favres' back, left side, who would have likely nailed him two... do the math... two younger, healthier defensive players (ie: good ankles) heading your way, and another coming in from the back side...he would have been very fortunate to get 3 yards, IMO... which would have left the Vikes with a 53 yard attempt. The replay that keeps getting shown is from behind Favre, and doesn't give an accurate look at how close things were... you really think a 40 year old, beat up QB, with a bad ankle, could have beaten those defenders with 3 yards of space to work with? Maybe Michale Vick, in his prime, but not Favre. I agree, it was not a great decision (don't think anyone would have been complaining if he had thrown it away), but to blame that play for the Vikings loss is hardly the biggest reason the Vikes lost.

He's thrown worse. My favorite is the one he threw against the Eagles in the playoffs years ago that cost Green Bay the game. Towards the end of the game, he just threw the ball almost straight up in the air for some reason and the Eagles defender caught the equivalent of an infield pop-up. It was the same year his father died and the joke going around was he was trying to play catch with his dad.

Troy Aikman said he could have gotten "10-15" yards, but that is bs... there were two Saints defenders, heading his way, when he threw it, about 7 yards in front of him, and another, coming from Favres' back, left side, who would have likely nailed him two... do the math... two younger, healthier defensive players (ie: good ankles) heading your way, and another coming in from the back side...he would have been very fortunate to get 3 yards, IMO... which would have left the Vikes with a 53 yard attempt. The replay that keeps getting shown is from behind Favre, and doesn't give an accurate look at how close things were... you really think a 40 year old, beat up QB, with a bad ankle, could have beaten those defenders with 3 yards of space to work with? Maybe Michale Vick, in his prime, but not Favre. I agree, it was not a great decision (don't think anyone would have been complaining if he had thrown it away), but to blame that play for the Vikings loss is hardly the biggest reason the Vikes lost.

Troy Aikman said he could have gotten 10 - 15, I say all he needed was 5 but we are both wrong I guess. All hail Buftex "the Clairvoyant". LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHbh-kt-PFA

Since you challenged me on this I actually thought to check youtube. Pause the video at 5 sec and 6 sec then tell me again he couldn't have made it out of bounds for 5 yards. If he just pulls that ball down for the pump fake instead of actually letting it go Vikes win on a 47 yard field goal or at least go into overtime pissed at the kicker not the savior who was supposed to lead them to victory. That's not even counting a potential block from the RB out in the flat that could have CREAMED that defender if Favre ran deep towards the sideline.

I agree that there were a LOT of contributing factors to their loss. But sadly in life and football it all comes down to defining plays. DESPITE all of their mistakes the Vikes where in a position to win and Favre BLEW IT!!! .....QUICK how many turnovers where there in the wide right game? Nobody remembers. What they remember is Norwood blew a kick at the end of a game. Most don't even remember that he blew more than one.

I for one do not feel bad for him. The guy is not a "team player" in those situations IMO. He thinks im Brett Favre i can make this pass.

And that won them the division and kept them in a game where they fumbled all game...........You don't get to have it both ways.

This worst ever stuff is way over the top. There are tons of comparable examples. What about this chestnut?

4) 1981 Playoff Game at Shea. Bruce Harper fumbles opening kickoff of Jet first playoff game in 12 years. Bills pick it up and run in for a touchdown. Discombobulated Jets fall behind 24-0. Jets still nearly come back and snatch a victory. Todd drive Jets to Bills 2 yard line with 10 seconds left, but is picked off by Bill Simpson to end the game. This was the Sack Exchange Jets, and probably the best Jet team besides 68, 69 and 98 Jets. 1981 Jets were a legitimate Super Bowl contender. One wonders how far this Team would have gone if that first play had never happened. Thanks Bruce. Ughhh.

Check out this great site: http://www.jetsinsider.com/news.php?storyid=43