Favre Interception - Worst Ever?

bbb

I heard that mentioned on some talk radio I was listening to today, and I'm not sure if I can come up with any that are worse.....Given that the Super Bowl was in reach. Gain nothing and you have a long shot.....Gain 5 and have a decent shot...Gain ten and have a good shot..........The very worst thing you can't do is throw the ball across your body across the middle.

Are there any worse ones that I'm not thinking of?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that mentioned on some talk radio I was listening to today, and I'm not sure if I can come up with any that are worse.....Given that the Super Bowl was in reach. Gain nothing and you have a long shot.....Gain 5 and have a decent shot...Gain ten and have a good shot..........The very worst thing you can't do is throw the ball across your body across the middle.

Favre's INT against the Giants in Lambeau a few years back.

I would say THAT was worse.

In Favre's defense, having 12 men in the huddle for a five yeard penalty really hurt at that particular time the play right before. I thought that was uncalled for. It looked as if the Vikings could have had a realistic chance of about a 51 yard field goal because of the dome factor.

Favre's INT against the Giants in Lambeau a few years back.

I would say THAT was worse.

i agree, an int in overtime, at home, with a trip to the superbowl on the line, possibly your last season in green bay, at home...

this one did cost a trip to the superbowl, but its like deja-vu for favre, i feel sorry for his vikings teammates.

There have been a lot of gaffs in the playoffs and last night's "cross court" throw will probably go down as one of the greatest. Isn't it appropriate that a great career that is somewhat checkered with errors in on-field judgment would end this way. Part of the mystique that is Brett Favre is his riverboat gambling high risk play...it would be poetic justice to end this way.

Every great QB at the NFL level has confidence in their ability -- Manning, Elway, Brady, Unitas, Aikman -- but smarts won them the big games. Put Favre in that category of Tarkenton and even Kelly sometimes -- who at times put too much faith in their athletic ability and not enough brain behind the decision.

It was an awesome, classic game...the kind that keeps the NFL at the top of sports attractions.

His previous NFC Championship Game in a dome, in 2002, he threw SIX picks against a weak St. Louis defense, two of which got returned for TDs.

But yes, I would say the pick at Lambeau vs. the NYG was Favre's worst. His INT yesterday was brutal because it cost them an opportunity, but that was going to be a bomb of a kick. The INT in '07 was in his own end of the field on the second play of OT, which basically allowed the Giants to run two handoffs and kick the winner.

There have been a lot of gaffs in the playoffs and last night's "cross court" throw will probably go down as one of the greatest. Isn't it appropriate that a great career that is somewhat checkered with errors in on-field judgment would end this way. Part of the mystique that is Brett Favre is his riverboat gambling high risk play...it would be poetic justice to end this way.

Every great QB at the NFL level has confidence in their ability -- Manning, Elway, Brady, Unitas, Aikman -- but smarts won them the big games. Put Favre in that category of Tarkenton and even Kelly sometimes -- who at times put too much faith in their athletic ability and not enough brain behind the decision.

It was an awesome, classic game...the kind that keeps the NFL at the top of sports attractions.

Excellent analysis.

His previous NFC Championship Game in a dome, in 2002, he threw SIX picks against a weak St. Louis defense.

But yes, I would say the pick at Lambeau vs. the NYG was the worst. His INT yesterday was brutal because it cost them an opportunity, but that was going to be a bomb of a kick. The INT in '07 was in his own end of the field on the second play of OT, which basically allowed the Giants to run two handoffs and kick the winner.

Yeah, that St. Louis game was horrible. I love watching him play and have wanted to see him back in the Super Bowl and all these games mentioned just are killers..........The only reason I think yesterday was worse than 07 is because he had it in his hands to run for I think ten yards, which would then no longer make it a bomb of a kick. And, then he elects to do the stupidest thing possible. I'm not sure 07's INT was the stupidest thing possible, but I do remember it being a horrid pass.

I just think that he had a good kicker who easily could have made the FG if he ran, and he doesn't even give him the chance to make the bomb of a kick, either.

Brian Sipe into the End Zone to Mike Davis against Oakland in Divisional playoff in the early 80's. I am sure there a few more. Its human nature to always assume the most recent was the best or worst or fill in the blank.

Thanks - I forgot about this one, but was this any different than Kelly vs. Cleveland or Flutie vs. Miami (down by more than 3)....Trying to win the game from behind? Or, was it a tie score or three or less deficit, and Sipe totally blew any chance of kicking for the game?

Anyone who blames the loss yesterday on Favre's INT Is stupid. The 2 fumbles in the red zone. The poor pass protection. The crappy calls in OT. The Special teams giving up a good return in OT. The 12 men on the field problem.

Thanks - I forgot about this one, but was this any different than Kelly vs. Cleveland or Flutie vs. Miami (down by more than 3)....Trying to win the game from behind? Or, was it a tie score or three or less deficit, and Sipe totally blew any chance of kicking for the game?

Trailing 14-7, the Bills drove to the oppositions' 10 yard line. A TD would tie the game and swing momentum back to the 2X champs. WR Bobby Crocket broke open in the endzone, but Jack Kemp's pass was picked off by Johnny Robinson and returned 72 yards, setting up a FG and bringing the Bills glory days to an unceremonius and decisive end. The Chiefs would represent the AFL in the 1st ever SB (AFL/NFL Championship).

That one still hurts..

Trailing 14-7, the Bills drove to the oppositions' 10 yard line. A TD would tie the game and swing momentum back to the 2X champs. WR Bobby Crocket broke open in the endzone, but Jack Kemp's pass was picked off by Johnny Robinson and returned 72 yards, setting up a FG and bringing the Bills glory days to an unceremonius and decisive end. The Chiefs would represent the AFL in the 1st ever SB (AFL/NFL Championship).

That one still hurts..

I didn't even know that's how that game went down.......That was actually one year before I understood what that crazy thing called football that my father, uncle and grandmother would watch every Sunday after dinner was! I got to know the Bills when they were horrible starting the next year with Joel Collier.

That INT sounds like Kelly and Flutie's.........Not a stupid decision like Favre's.

Score was 14-12 and the ball was at the 13 yard line.

i think the totality of the vikes play offensively was the story. crazy, odds-defying turnovers and near-turnovers were the rule of the day and favre's miscue was only one.

i watched hoping that favre would lose. my opinion has been that he turned a bit mercenary toward the end, his maybe retire-maybe not thought process got very irritating, and i personally felt he slapped the collective face of packer fans and left their like a cur dog in the night.

thaaaaaaaaaaat aside, i found myself almost rooting for the geezer yesterday. he got hit, smacked, cracked, and jacked all game long and continued to deliver key third down completions. his play kept them in the game (offensively, i mean, i thought their defense was great last night all things considered)after the fumbles, and inexplicably they were in it to the end. this in spite of the fact that at times, he looked 65 getting off the turf.

last thought--i struggle with anyone suggestings he had room to scamper for 5 or 6 yards based on the rollout. he was pretty clearly in a lot of pain, and i'm sure that factored into his decision to throw the pass. and, yeah, he's favre and has a penchant for forcing throws at odd times.

so, understanding i'm not a vikes fan, i had respected favre, lost respect for him, lost more respect for him when he went to the rival vikes, wanted to see him lose (yeah, i'm petty) but left the game with renewed respect for the man's ability.

anyway, bad pick, sure, but it really was just an awful extension of being snake-bitten yesterday.