Favre Interception - Worst Ever?

bbb

If it ain't the worst ever it sure ranks high among the all-timers. That was absolutely horrendous. Off the top of my head, and including all the ones mentioned here, none can compare to this brutal one by Favre.

My pick for 2nd may be the 2003 playoff "pick 6" INT Hasslebeck threw against the Packers in OT. What made it especially epic was how Hasslebeck boldly pronounced "We'll take the ball, and we're going to score," after winning the coin toss.

Still, this was worse...much worse.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree, an int in overtime, at home, with a trip to the superbowl on the line, possibly your last season in green bay, at home...

this one did cost a trip to the superbowl, but its like deja-vu for favre, i feel sorry for his vikings teammates.

Favre is taking a lot of heat for that pick, but should he be taking as much heat as Adrian Peterson and Bernard Berrian? And, if you think about it, the Vikings got way too conservative on that final drive... and stupid, with the 12 men in the huddle routine (can't pin that on Favre)... Favre makes a terrific throw to get them into Saints territory, and then, they go with two running plays, putting their QB in a must pass situation on third down. Favre's int was not a great moment for him, but, I think there is plenty of blame to go around, on the offense, for the Vikings losing that game.

Also, suppose Favre does throw the ball away, as he should have. What do the Vikes do then? Attempt a 56 yard field goal, which has a less than 33% chance of going through the uprights. Or, do they "go for it" and risk giving the Saints excellent field position, if the kick is missed. Or, do they punt? Sure, throwing a pick is still not the most attractive of options, but, I am not sure if that is what lost the game for the Vikings.

Favre is taking a lot of heat for that pick, but should he be taking as much heat as Adrian Peterson and Bernard Berrian? And, if you think about it, the Vikings got way too conservative on that final drive... and stupid, with the 12 men in the huddle routine (can't pin that on Favre)... Favre makes a terrific throw to get them into Saints territory, and then, they go with two running plays, putting their QB in a must pass situation on third down. Favre's int was not a great moment for him, but, I think there is plenty of blame to go around, on the offense, for the Vikings losing that game.

Also, suppose Favre does throw the ball away, as he should have. What do the Vikes do then? Attempt a 56 yard field goal, which has a less than 33% chance of going through the uprights. Or, do they "go for it" and risk giving the Saints excellent field position, if the kick is missed. Or, do they punt? Sure, throwing a pick is still not the most attractive of options, but, I am not sure if that is what lost the game for the Vikings.

He shouldn't have thrown it away. He should have ran. He had tons of daylight........Definitely enough to turn it into a reasonable chance field goal.

I agree. There is plenty of blame to go around, but what makes this worse than any fumble - Byner, Bettis, Peterson yesterday, is that this was a decision. A decision to throw as a high a risk pass as any, instead of running.

He shouldn't have thrown it away. He should have ran. He had tons of daylight........Definitely enough to turn it into a reasonable chance field goal.

I agree. There is plenty of blame to go around, but what makes this worse than any fumble - Byner, Bettis, Peterson yesterday, is that this was a decision. A decision to throw as a high a risk pass as any, instead of running.

Honeslty, I haven't seen the play a ton of times (no DVR, worked all day today), but it didn't look to me like he had much "daylight" at all... there looked to be two Saints defenders ready to drill him, about 5 yards away.

I guess my point is, Favre has done this kind of thing before, so it shouldn't be a shock to anyone. He has done it before, and made some incredible plays...but he has thrown some picks too... that is what you get with Favre...the championship game ints' just stand out more...

I heard that mentioned on some talk radio I was listening to today, and I'm not sure if I can come up with any that are worse.....Given that the Super Bowl was in reach. Gain nothing and you have a long shot.....Gain 5 and have a decent shot...Gain ten and have a good shot..........The very worst thing you can't do is throw the ball across your body across the middle.

Are there any worse ones that I'm not thinking of?

That was a tough one. I wonder if he would have made the same decision if he wasn't so beat up. Farve got pounded in that game . . .

Okay, just checked it out on youtube...Favre may have picked up 2 or 3 yards (on a severely fugged up ankle), not the "10-15" yards that Aikman suggested... two Saints defenders would have gotten to him before he did much damage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQi_wd4ol4

Thanks for the link........You know, I think you're right. I had been going by what I saw on replay, with that camera behind him and that's deceiving...........I think he definitely would have made the 35, but possibly no more than that. I think without the ankle, he could have dove to about the 32.

"We knew it wasn't a chip shot," Rutigliano said. "We had already missed field goals and an extra point."

The Ice Bowl turned out to be Cockroft's last game kicking for the Browns. He missed two field goals and a PAT earlier in the game. Matt Bahr started kicking for the Browns in 1981.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/1...s/nh1875731.prt

I heard that mentioned on some talk radio I was listening to today, and I'm not sure if I can come up with any that are worse.....Given that the Super Bowl was in reach. Gain nothing and you have a long shot.....Gain 5 and have a decent shot...Gain ten and have a good shot..........The very worst thing you can't do is throw the ball across your body across the middle.

Neil O'Donnell in the SB versus the Cowboys. Couldn't have been worse timing for a pick and there wasn't a guy with a Steelers' jersey within 10 yards of the pass.

How about Warren Moon's OT interception in "the Great Comeback"... or Jim Kelly's int against the Browns (people forget it, it came on the "sure td" pass that Ronnie Harmon dropped the play before) in the 1989 wildcard game... christ, most ints that prevent a team from winning a game are bad...this one, by Favre, is just the latest...and as many love to crack on Favre, as love to kiss his ass... come to think of it, didn't Kurt Warner throw one in the Super Bowl, as a Ram, that led to the Patriots winning drive?

"We knew it wasn't a chip shot," Rutigliano said. "We had already missed field goals and an extra point."

The Ice Bowl turned out to be Cockroft's last game kicking for the Browns. He missed two field goals and a PAT earlier in the game. Matt Bahr started kicking for the Browns in 1981.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2009/1...s/nh1875731.prt

Wow - interesting. My memory of that weekend is so vivid of the Bills-Chargers game that I had forgotten how cold that game was.

Given that info, I guess Sipe is no longer the winner.

Somebody I heard made a good point since the time I first posted this. He said if Favre made that completion it would have won the game almost for sure and the risk was going to OT. The other option was the 52-55 yard field goal. When I think of it that way, maybe this one isn't the worst of all time, either.

I won't ask wide right, though. He doesn't catalogue picks..........I see he's also making friends in the chat box.

How about Warren Moon's OT interception in "the Great Comeback"... or Jim Kelly's int against the Browns (people forget it, it came on the "sure td" pass that Ronnie Harmon dropped the play before) in the 1989 wildcard game... christ, most ints that prevent a team from winning a game are bad...this one, by Favre, is just the latest...and as many love to crack on Favre, as love to kiss his ass... come to think of it, didn't Kurt Warner throw one in the Super Bowl, as a Ram, that led to the Patriots winning drive?

I mentioned Kelly's a few times in this thread. That is the same as Flutie vs. Miami. Down by over three points. Need to score a TD..........The thing about possibly having Favre or Sipe is seemingly a field goal would have won it, if not for the INT..........But, you pointed out what I didn't realize with the video. He wasn't going to gain as much as I thought it was by watching it live and then the TV replay.

The one he threw in his last game with the Packers in OT against the NYG was worse than that one.

The Vikes play calling that whole last drive was terrible. You get the ball with 2:37 and can only get off one running play before the two minute warning. When they had 1st & 10 at the Saints 31, two runs into the line for gain of nothing. Why not try a pass on 1st down when least expecting it. It looked like the Bills game plan out there.

Bubby Brister's intercepted shovel pass, which Sam Mills returned for a TD, as the Carolina Panthers got their first ever win, vs the Jets in 1995 was the worst I have seen.

The criticism of Favre is the non-intelligent talk-radio type. Sure, it was an absolutely horrible play, but without Favre, the Packers win the division and the Vikings don't come close to the season the had.....with all the fumbles, he had them in position for that game-winning field goal