Free Agent Left Tackles

Stl Bills

Every single one of those OTs are RFAs (sans Mawae and Clifton) and will probably be tendered the highest amount, costing us a first and a third.

That website has yet to update for the failure to agree to a new CBA, so all of the stud LTs are RFAs...unfortunately.

Oops sorry. :death:

Here is an accurate list of free agent offensive tackles.

Not pretty.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...rc=16&pid=3

Well NO is probably going to have to make a decision between Bushrod and Jammal Brown.....I wouldn't mind seeing either one of those guys in a Bills uni next year.

Well NO is probably going to have to make a decision between Bushrod and Jammal Brown.....I wouldn't mind seeing either one of those guys in a Bills uni next year.

I don't think we should overlook Levi Jones. He really started coming on strong for the Redskins in the last 8 games.

i really hope we go free agent at LT, that will make passing on bulaga or the other highly rated OT much easier to take, so we can get Rolando McLain.....i would hate to let him get past us...

Lets face it....this is where we need to go with the 9th pick

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Mike Mayock has Bulaga rated as the #2 OT prospect, and I think that's exactly where the Bills will go with #9.

Mayock Rankings.

While it is water under the bridge this situation points to the futility of the Bills and their changing regimes. Tom Donasuck picks Mike Williams and Willis MCGahee with prime picks. only to find Williams is a bust and McIdiot is a luxury pick that barely proves adequate. Then step in Marv Bills have the answer at LT but make a mockery of his contract situation - only to have him become a a malcontent and pick Lynch (yet another luxury pick). Then under the brilliance of Brandon the Bills think a mediocre RT backed up by an entirely unproven prospect is the answer at LT.

I understand the Bills have to correct for the past failures but the situation has to make you sick. Let's hope Nix does not miss in this draft because the rest of the AFC East is not standing still.

Lets face it....this is where we need to go with the 9th pick

Maybe so. Depending on who is left on the board at 9 I would not mind a trade down. I think if we drop to about 20 we can another 2nd rounder (according to that value chart stuff).

this team has so many needs and it does not look like we can get a good LT via free agency.

Here is an accurate list of free agent offensive tackles.

Not pretty.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...rc=16&pid=3

Out of the UFA on that list, the only guy I'd trust to be a starting LT is Clifton but his price tag would be steep. They should get some depth in free agency to compete with Butler for the RT position but we need to find a starting LT in the draft (first round or maybe second round if we feel lucky).

I would also like Clifton. He is getting up in age but he would definetely solidify the left side of the offensive line. I dont think he would demand too much on the open market becuase he did have an injury last year and his age is catching up to him. I would think 4 or 5 million a year would get it done for him on a 2 year deal with a decent signing bonus.

McNeil?....why would we pay a young guy who came up the ranks and proved himself the money he deserves? We already had that guy! Draft picks aside, which are a whole other waste of resources consideration, McNeil has been under paid and will be looking for his pay day. Kind of like some other young stud LT I seem to recall. Please spare me the sour grapes, fat greedy so and so comments...or not.

I think I have finally settled upon this sort of issue being 95% of the Bills problems!!! Finding good players in the draft and even sometimes in free agency is tough enough. ONE and potentially the ONLY thing Marv Levy the GM said that makes sense is something to the effect that "the most important free agents you sign are your own"!! Good teams keep and compensate their talent. Bad teams continually let good talent go and have to restock the same positions over, and over, and over in the draft.

If people are tired of talking about this concept as it applies to our LT situation consider our secondary. How many guys in our secondary have we let go because we didn't want to spend a couple bucks extra to pay them what they were worth after we got done milking their rookie and or under market value contracts? Approximately 50% or our draft picks in the last 15 20 years have been at the 4 positions in the secondary on defense. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!! Did we really need to waste a first round pick on McLovin when Greer was good enough and is going to be starting in the super bowl for the Saints in 2 weeks? Did we really need to move back into the first round in the draft to get McCargo when Pat Williams is a perennial pro bowler? How's that working out for us? But here we are ready to do it again at LT. Can't change the past so I suppose at some point we just have to bite the bullet.

THIS is why we can't stock up on good linemen and LBs in the draft. We are too busy replacing the guys we let go because we are cheap and dumb!!!! Sorry but one last shot at the LT situation. Ask yourself this question:

1st pick #9 overall in the draft (rookie LT) + $8 million/yr >= Pro Bowl LT $10 million/yr ?

You can only pay attention to the money like Mr Wilson does...OR... you can see that high 1st round draft picks are precious and can get you additional help at another position instead of continually back filling the guys you were too cheap to pay.

Sorry but one last shot at the LT situation. Ask yourself this question:

1st pick #9 overall in the draft (rookie LT) + $8 million/yr >= Pro Bowl LT $10 million/yr ?

Good point. When Miami picked Jake Long and signed him he was the highest paid LT in the league BEFORE he even got on the field

i really hope we go free agent at LT, that will make passing on bulaga or the other highly rated OT much easier to take, so we can get Rolando McLain.....i would hate to let him get past us...

I think Bulaga's going to be a stud and would fit in nicely on our oline. He is a nasty run blocker and pretty good in pass blocking. And I know it's wrong to lump conferences together, but the Big 10 has a great history of producing top flight o linemen (Jake Long, Joe Thomas, Hutchinson, Mangold to name a few).

McNeil will command some big time money but I think Bushrod would be an awesome pickup....guys been pretty damn good in New Orleans this year.

The Saints are winning in spite of Bushrod, not because of him. Take a look at the offensive tackles ratings below. They have watched every game and graded every play. Bushrod is 69th out of 77. He is genuinely awful at run blockiing, but only pretty damn bad at pass blocking.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

As for McNeill, look at the Chargers depth chart. They have a second-string LT but no third-stringer. The second-stringer is also their starter at RT, and he is a second-year UDFA, not some grizzled vet who has been around long enough to handle anything thrown at him. No way do they want him to switch and thus cause problems at two positions instead of one.

S.D. will re-sign him, especially with the leverage of having him as an RFA.

Yeah, they'll definitely go with Brown, and IMHO we don't need Bushrod for the reasons I detailed above.

Out of the UFA on that list, the only guy I'd trust to be a starting LT is Clifton but his price tag would be steep. They should get some depth in free agency to compete with Butler for the RT position but we need to find a starting LT in the draft (first round or maybe second round if we feel lucky).

Yeah, Clifton's average, but that would be a huge step up for us. 33 years old, so we would already have to be looking for a guy to replace him, though. But that's where 2nd and 3rd round picks really do work out, when you're getting a guy to slip in after two or three years.

Sorry but one last shot at the LT situation. Ask yourself this question:

Ok, you make a good point except McNeil will also cost us some kind of compensation in the form of draft picks.

Right? Isn't he a restricted FA?