SAINTS vs VIKINGS GAMETHREAD

davefan66

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An absolute hose job on all three calls. How they could call that a catch is beyond me.

Yeah, it wasn't catch from what I saw. Bobbled, touch ground and scooped up into a body laying on the turf.

Tough break for the Vikings, they have a team that could win it all. Happy for the New Orleans community for getting to the big game for their first time.

BS it didn't hit the ground. It bounced up. Sorry about your failing eyesight.

I just went back and looked at it. Really, really close.

Funny thing is none of the Viking players tried to wave it off as a catch, and

their were three of them right in front of the catch.

Are you blind? Of course it hit the freaking ground. And I didn't have a dog in this fight. The whole OT system in the NFL is so ridiculous -- it's no better than hockey shootouts (another joke).

Dude, I'm watcing the replay now. Meachem's arm is UNDER the fuggen ball. Hard for it to hit the ground with an arm under it.

NCAA: each team has a roughly equal chance.

NFL: each doesn't have a roughly equal chance.

Please reply with an argument.

The actual winning percentages between the two teams in overtime are 50-50. Winning the toss doesn't give you a statistically better chance to win the game.

EDIT: It's actually 52% for the winner of the toss. I just looked it up.

NCAA: each team has a roughly equal chance.

NFL: each doesn't have a roughly equal chance.

Please reply with an argument.

The NCAA system is a joke. Equal shots from the 30 yard line? It ceases to be football and becomes SOCCER. That's why you have 5OT games in the NCAA. Please reply with something resembling a coherent thought, McBride.

Dude, I'm watcing the replay now. Meachem's arm is UNDER the fuggen ball. Hard for it to hit the ground with an arm under it.

Seriously, I wasn't rooting for the Vikes, but saying that was a catch is saying that Sid Luckett made the right call. Or that the tuck rule is valid. That said, the Saints had another down to make a play, and they may well have. But that was in no way a catch.

He should've made a play at the end of regulation.

Exactly. Farve blows the game in regulation, not even giving them a chance at a FG - when with a minute left they were all set to have a 40-45 FG try to win the game.

But now, for some reason, he deserves a chance to win it in OT? I don't get it. Favre and the Vikings blew the game to send it to OT, how does that translate to them deserving a chance in OT?

The NCAA system is a joke. Equal shots from the 30 yard line? It ceases to be football and becomes SOCCER. That's why you have 5OT games in the NCAA. Please reply with something resembling a coherent thought, McBride.

And one team scoring, and the game being immediately over is somehow a purer form of football? It's a logicaly equivalent bastardization in my mind. At least the NCAA version tests BOTH offense and defense.

Exactly. Farve blows the game in regulation, not even giving them a chance at a FG - when with a minute left they were all set to have a 40-45 FG try to win the game.

But now, for some reason, he deserves a chance to win it in OT? I don't get it. Favre and the Vikings blew the game to send it to OT, how does that translate to them deserving a chance in OT?

No, it's about the Colts losing in OT in the playoffs last year because of a coin toss -- it's unfair. The system is a joke.

Look again and take off the "I can't stand Favre" blinders.

I just watched it for the third time and SAW HIS ARM UNDER THE BALL. Does the ball move? Yes. But it does not conclusively hit the ground, therefore it is a CATCH.

And BTW, I can only see what I see. I have it freeze-framed and the arm is UNDER THE FUGGEN BALL.

If the current OT rules are so fair and balanced why does every team that wins the coin toss take the ball?

PTR

If it's so unbalanced why is it that only 5 of 13 OT games this season resulted in a win on the first drive (according to the graphis they put up at the start of OT)? Yes, you want the ball first, but that does not ensure a win.

Why does Brees deserve the chance any more than Favre? Because he won a coin toss? He had the ball last, after all.

Seriously, I wasn't rooting for the Vikes, but saying that was a catch is saying that Sid Luckett made the right call. Or that the tuck rule is valid. That said, the Saints had another down to make a play, and they may well have. But that was in no way a catch.

I have it freeze-framed right now, there is NO way you or anyone else can say CONCLUSIVELY that the ball touched the ground. Sorry.

Please. Seriously.

In the NCAA, regardless of whether I like the system or not, each team has a chance to complete the same task that is set before them.

In the NFL, only one of two teams has a chance to complete the task before them without a counterresponse from their opponent.

My argument is logical; yours is aesthetic. You simply don't like how the NCAA system looks.

And one team scoring, and the game being immediately over is somehow a purer form of football? It's a logicaly equivalent bastardization in my mind. At least the NCAA version tests BOTH offense and defense.

Again, if the Vikings want to win, they need to stop the Saints. They couldn't, and they lost.

How is it any different if the Saints were driving with 30 seconds left in regulation? It isn't. If the Saints kick a field goal as time expires, they still win.

If it's so unbalanced why is it that only 5 of 13 OT games this season resulted in a win on the first drive (according to the graphis they put up at the start of OT)? Yes, you want the ball first, but that does not ensure a win.

So what you are saying ONLY 5 teams were jobbed. Again, would you give up the ball in a coin flip? If you are arguing for the current rules, if no team won on the first possession then you can argue it's fair. The fact that 5 teams out of 13 won is not a sign of fairness, it's a sign that about 40% of games are not fair.

PTR

Why does Brees deserve the chance any more than Favre? Because he won a coin toss? He had the ball last, after all.

I said nothing about Brees deserving anything. The Saints stopped the Vikings in regulation. They won the coin toss - that the Vikings called BTW. Then Brees and the Saints earned a shot at a FG to win. (Well, given some of those calls, earned may be a little strong of a word.)

I have it freeze-framed right now, there is NO way you or anyone else can say CONCLUSIVELY that the ball touched the ground. Sorry.

You seem to have wanted the Saints to win. I respect that, actually. I didn't care so much, so I tried to look at it dispassionately. To me, there was NO control. Ask yourself this: if that call was incomplete (as it should have been) there would have been no controversy if it was upheld. The Saints may have succeeded on the next play, however. The Colston catch was only second down.

Again, if the Vikings want to win, they need to stop the Saints. They couldn't, and they lost.

How is it any different if the Saints were driving with 30 seconds left in regulation? It isn't. If the Saints kick a field goal as time expires, they still win.

Plus, if the Vikings want to win, they could decide to

1) not have 12 men in the huddle at a critical juncture in the game when in debatable FG range.

2) not throw an INT following that first critical mistake. Favre got greedy.

Please. Seriously.

In the NCAA, regardless of whether I like the system or not, each team has a chance to complete the same task that is set before them.

In the NFL, only one of two teams has a chance to complete the task before them without a counterresponse from their opponent.

My argument is logical; yours is aesthetic. You simply don't like how the NCAA system looks.

You're argument isn't logical. It's emotional. "It's UNFAIR!"

I don't think the NCAA system is fair in the least. In fact, it penalizes defenses. If they played a whole quarter, maybe. But I think the NFL system is fairer by far than the NCAA's rules.

I thought his coaching staff put him in a really ****ty position at the end of regulation.

Agree. The Vikings OC pulled a Jauron. Looked like our monday night game versus Cleveland.

Two runs and then 12 men in the huddle. That left it to Favre to bail them out. Favre should have done the safe thing and run but he did what he always has done ... he tried to make the big play.

Time to retire Brett.

that too many men in the huddle penalty cost minn the game...

I think fumbling the ball 6 times in a dome was the biggest factor in the loss.

That being said, the Minnesota's coaching staff's absolutely gutless performance in the last 2 1/2 minutes of regulation was a close second.

So what you are saying ONLY 5 teams were jobbed. Again, would you give up the ball in a coin flip?

PTR

My last post on this because it is literally the definition of beating your head against a brick wall.

Five teams were not jobbed. They all had a chance to win the game. They failed to stop the opposing team and lost. No one went out, waved their hand, and gave them a win. They earned it.

If I were in an outdoor stadium, in bad weather, high winds - I would give up the ball first, take the wind, and play defense. In a dome, no I'd take the ball first; and tell my offense to remember that they still have to play to win.

You're argument isn't logical. It's emotional. "It's UNFAIR!"

I don't think the NCAA system is fair in the least. In fact, it penalizes defenses. If they played a whole quarter, maybe. But I think the NFL system is fairer by far than the NCAA's rules.

Emotional? Since when is "fairness" a signifier of emotion? It seems to me that you don't like how it looks - you're now resorting to an argument about defensive aesthetics rather than any sort of attempt to assess evenness.

You seem to have wanted the Saints to win. I respect that, actually. I didn't care so much, so I tried to look at it dispassionately. To me, there was NO control. Ask yourself this: if that call was incomplete (as it should have been) there would have been no controversy if it was upheld. The Saints may have succeeded on the next play, however. The Colston catch was only second down.

:censored:

The ball didn't hit the ground at any point. So whether or not he had control on the way down is a moot point. What matters is that the ball didn't hit the ground. At the end of the play, Meachem had the ball in his possession, and without it ever once touching the turf. If that ain't a catch, I don't know what is.

And, btw, that's exactly my point. You can't prove it wasn't a catch, because there's no conclusive evidence to prove it wasn't.

Agree. The Vikings OC pulled a Jauron. Looked like our monday night game versus Cleveland.

Two runs and then 12 men in the huddle. That left it to Favre to bail them out. Favre should have done the safe thing and run but he did what he always has done ... he tried to make the big play.

Time to retire Brett.

They also started that last possession with two runs up the gut and then stood around waiting for the 2:00 warning like they wanted to play for OT.

Inexcusable shrinking under the klieg lights.

Refs screwed Minny. Pierre Thomas clearly didnt make the first down. At the first down marker Pierre bobbles the ball by the time he gains control of it he's behind the first dowm marker, and the PI call was ridiculous.

Five teams were not jobbed. They all had a chance to win the game. They failed to stop the opposing team and lost. No one went out, waved their hand, and gave them a win. They earned it.

Exactly.

They also had the previous 60 minutes to outscore the opposition.