How to Make the Bills a Contender

Cmmd Ackbar

Here's my wishlist for next year. Assuming the Bills switch to 3-4.

NT - Wilfork

DT - Williams, Stroud

LB - Mitchell, Poz, Ellison, and either Merriman or Dumervil

CB - McGee, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Wilson

OT - McNeill, and someone via draft

OG - Wood, Levitre

C - Hangartner

TE - Nelson

RB - Jackson

FB - McIntyre

WR - Evans, Johnson or Hardy

QB - Someone via draft

So the plan would be to get Wilfork and either Merriman or Dumervil via FA. This would make for quite a scary 3-4. I would actually want to watch this team play (though I doubt it will happen).

On the other side of the ball adding McNeill and trading up in the draft (Lynch anyone?) to get a good OT like Russell Okung or Trent Williams would make for a very promising, good young core.

I don’t think QB’s will be as highly coveted in this year’s draft. There should be a couple very good QB’s still available in the 2nd round. (Seeing how amazingly well Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman did this year.... /sarcasm)

The problem with this plan (even though it drastically improves the team) is that it actually costs $$. Knowing the Bills they will draft another DE, keep Trent, pick up no free agents, and scratch their heads wondering why they continue to struggle....

NT - Wilfork

DT - Williams, Stroud

CB - McGee, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Wilson

OG - Wood, Levitre

C - Hangartner

TE - Nelson

RB - Jackson

FB - McIntyre

QB - Someone via draft

So the plan would be to get Wilfork and either Merriman or Dumervil via FA. This would make for quite a scary 3-4. I would actually want to watch this team play (though I doubt it will happen).

On the other side of the ball adding McNeill and trading up in the draft (Lynch anyone?) to get a good OT like Russell Okung or Trent Williams would make for a very promising, good young core.

I don’t think QB’s will be as highly coveted in this year’s draft. There should be a couple very good QB’s still available in the 2nd round. (Seeing how amazingly well Stafford, Sanchez, and Freeman did this year.... /sarcasm)

The problem with this plan (even though it drastically improves the team) is that it actually costs $$. Knowing the Bills they will draft another DE, keep Trent, pick up no free agents, and scratch their heads wondering why they continue to struggle....

Elvis does not go anywhere but Denver. Merriman is terrible and a cheater with a bad attitude. (what has he done since being of the juice)

Seymore is the only reasonable thing suggested but he is going to be a huge price tag. The only thing we may have working is we play NE 2x a year and he may want to get back at them.

Evans Hardy and Johnson. So back to our offense that everyone was complaining about that has no playmakers on it...

NT - Wilfork

DT - Williams, Stroud

CB - McGee, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Wilson

OG - Wood, Levitre

C - Hangartner

TE - Nelson

RB - Jackson

FB - McIntyre

QB - Someone via draft

Wilfork will be franchised. :ph34r:

There is no way that the Broncos let go of their best defensive player, with how much they have tried to get that defense right. They finally got a sack artist, they won't let him go. <_<

Merriman could probably be had, if he decides he wants a change of scenery. :wallbash:

I highly doubt the Chargers would let go of their franchise tackle...I mean, what kind of team does THAT? :doh:

I think if Pendergast or any other Kansas City defensive assistants come in, Derrick Johnson could be a key pickup.

Elvis does not go anywhere but Denver. Merriman is terrible and a cheater with a bad attitude. (what has he done since being of the juice)

Seymore is the only reasonable thing suggested but he is going to be a huge price tag. The only thing we may have working is we play NE 2x a year and he may want to get back at them.

Evans Hardy and Johnson. So back to our offense that everyone was complaining about that has no playmakers on it...

everyone overlooks this glaring need. Evans hasnt been relevant in years, even when he gets single coverage.....and yesi understand our QB play blows but other WRs around the league do more with crappy QBs.

Why does everyone seem to think that Ellison will be on this team next season?

I think the Bills will load up on LB's in FA and the Draft and jettison most of the LB's except Poz and possibly Mitchell. The LB position has been one of the weakest parts of the defense for the last few years and along with the QB and OT positions, this group is definitely a very high priority going into next year.

Wilfork will be franchised. :ph34r:

I believe he's said that he would sit out if they tried to use it on him.

There is no way that the Broncos let go of their best defensive player, with how much they have tried to get that defense right. They finally got a sack artist, they won't let him go. <_<

This coming from a team that fired their very good DC only to have him be picked up mintues later? I'm not too sure, this could be another Marshall situation.

Merriman could probably be had, if he decides he wants a change of scenery. :wallbash:

Agreed I think he's gone; definitely haveable

I highly doubt the Chargers would let go of their franchise tackle...I mean, what kind of team does THAT? :doh:

There are a couple tackles that work well in this spot not just McNeil.

You'd rather have a Safety starting at the 4th LB position? Merriman is still better than all the Bills LB.

This is assuming the Bills try and go the D-first and Run-second route to winning a la Jets or Baltimore. I think it could work with this D. Besides look how well TO did, bringing in a downfield threat with a new rookie QB isn't going to help the

O at all.

You do not want much ?

Three players isn't a ton. Just gotta bust out that wallet!

everyone overlooks this glaring need. Evans hasnt been relevant in years, even when he gets single coverage.....and yesi understand our QB play blows but other WRs around the league do more with crappy QBs.

Evans and TO combined for 99 receptions.

Fred Jackson and Can't Get and Inch Lynch combined for 74 receptions.

Obviously, wide receivers, as a whole, weren't relevant last year.

Evans had 44 receptions, or 17% of total receptions. In that offense, it's hard to call nearly 1/5 receptions irrelevant.

I'm not saying Evans couldn't have been/can't be better. But he's been about as relevant as possible. And to call our QBs crappy ... understatement of the year.

Yeah, we went from what looked like a strength at WR to a real deficit, assuming TO isn't back. We will have to sign a FA receiver and draft one in the top 2 or 3 rounds.

Of course, we could stick with midgets like Parrish and Evans and guys with "potential" like Hardy and Johnson...and we probably will.

I think the Bills will load up on LB's in FA and the Draft and jettison most of the LB's except Poz and possibly Mitchell. The LB position has been one of the weakest parts of the defense for the last few years and along with the QB and OT positions, this group is definitely a very high priority going into next year.

I hope to God u are right. They have the weakest bunch of LBs I have ever seen.

I agree that Nix and Gailey will address LB as about top importance. Especially if Bills are going to a 3-4. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 LB draft picks plus maybe a free agent or two. It's definitely the weak link in this defense (though we still need another good DE -- especially if Schoebel retires).

NT - Wilfork

DT - Williams, Stroud

CB - McGee, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Wilson

OG - Wood, Levitre

C - Hangartner

TE - Nelson

RB - Jackson

FB - McIntyre

QB - Someone via draft

This make us a contender?

so where's the depth? What are we suddenly gonna be an injury free team?

We need much more than this. We need a DC who will be willing to attack. We need players to get the desire and drive to put in time to learn new positions, such as Maybin as OLB. We need a draft better and draft lots of depth at our pathically weak LB corp. And we need to put together an OL that can stay healthy, play together and keep a QB upright so we can properly evaluate if he's the guy.

that's just the starting point.

NT - WILFORK

DT - Williams, Stroud

LB - Mitchell, Poz, MCCLAIN (1st Round), Maybin

CB - McGee, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Wilson

OT - MCNEILL, and someone via draft (1st pick of round 2)

OG - Wood, Levitre

C - Hangartner

TE - Nelson

RB - Jackson

FB - McIntyre

WR - TO, Evans, Johnson or Hardy

QB - PIKE (2nd pick of round 2 - we will trade to get 2 picks in round 2)

To add to this Aaron Kampman does not like the role he is playing in Green Bay,,, just a thought...

if we stay 4/3 I think he would be great pick up upset Schobel . I don't know how serious the injury was however

Wow - Santa will need a bigger stocking for your wishlist. You had also better hope that they bring in Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder too -- because that's the only way we could afford all those free agents.

We're not going to make a big splash in free agency -- Buddy and Chan told you in their presser that they plan on spending money on their own and building through the draft. MAYBE we land one middle tier free agent -- but the days of TO or Vick are over folks, not gonna happen.

Yeah, we went from what looked like a strength at WR to a real deficit, assuming TO isn't back. We will have to sign a FA receiver and draft one in the top 2 or 3 rounds.

Of course, we could stick with midgets like Parrish and Evans and guys with "potential" like Hardy and Johnson...and we probably will.

I agree that the Bills are unlikely to use a first day draft pick on a WR. Frankly, I agree with that decision. First, look at the gaping holes this team has:

QB

LT

C

WR

DL

DL

LB

LB

The defensive front seven picture is a little blurry because it's not clear whether the Bills will run a 4-3 or 3-4. Or whether Schobel will retire. But what we do know is that there's only one good, reasonably young player on the Bills' DL: Kyle Williams. The Bills are a rebuilding team, and it will take at least two off-seasons to do the work that needs to be done. What can we do this year?

- 9th overall: QB (if available)

- Trade 2nd and 3rd round picks to get back into the first. Draft a LT.

- Re-sign Incognito, move Wood to center, and Hangartnar to the bench.

- Fill the needs on defense with free agents and with second day draft picks.

The above is an ugly picture--at least for the 2010 season--because the problems within the defensive front seven would be fixed largely with duct tape and Band Aids. And because we'd have to hope that some guy like Steve Johnson can step up and be the possession receiver we need opposite Evans. If we're lucky, some of the short-term stopgaps--whether a second day draft pick on defense, or a Steve Johnson on offense--will turn out to be long-term answers. But even so, there will still be several holes on this team going into the 2011 draft. What the above plan would do would be to use the 2010 draft to eliminate some of the most gaping and critical holes, especially at QB and on the OL.

NT - WILFORK

DT - Williams, Stroud

LB - Mitchell, Poz, MCCLAIN (1st Round), Maybin

CB - McGee, McKelvin

FS - Byrd

SS - Wilson

OT - MCNEILL, and someone via draft (1st pick of round 2)

OG - Wood, Levitre

C - Hangartner

TE - Nelson

RB - Jackson

FB - McIntyre

WR - TO, Evans, Johnson or Hardy

QB - PIKE (2nd pick of round 2 - we will trade to get 2 picks in round 2)

McKelvin..LOL He couldn`t carry Draytons jock. You got to be kidding? Put down the pipe :wallbash:;)

definately, down with ellison, I want him off of this team more than any other "player" on this bum squad...no more safety/linebackers PLEASE

I thought it was made clear they are going the draft route not FA, Chan has said several times he would rather put money into players we have rather then on a new body for big bucks.

This. And Nix has said the same.