Actual background on Gailey

Mikie2times

Keep in mind we sought after a coach that was....

1. Offensive minded.

2. Head coaching experience.

3. Playoff Experience.

4. A guy that could work with Quarterbacks like Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, and Tyler Thigpen.

5. A guy that can show improvement year to year. See below (all football outsider stats)

Pittsburgh Offensive Coordinator 1996-1997

1995 (Previous year)

Offense Ranked:12

Passing: 11

Rushing: 17

1996 (First Season)

Offense Rank:12

Passing: 24

Rushing: 1

1997 (Second Season)

Offense Rank:6

Passing: 12

Rushing: 5

1998 (After Departure)

Offense Rank:20

Passing: 26

Rushing: 11

Dallas Head Coach 1998-1999

1997 (Previous year)

Record: 6-10

Power Rating: 13

Offense Ranked:20

Passing: 14

Rushing: 23

1998 (First Season)

Record: 10-6 (Playoffs)

Power Rating: 9

Offense Ranked:6

Passing: 6

Rushing: 5

1999 (Second Season)

Record: 8-8 (Playoffs)

Power Rating: 8

Offense Ranked:12

Passing: 13

Rushing: 8

1999 (After Departure)

Record: 5-11

Power Rating: 24

Offense Ranked:24

Passing: 24

Rushing: 16

Miami Offensive Coordinator (2000-2001)

1999 (Previous year)

Offense Ranked:21

Passing: 19

Rushing: 26

2000 (First Season)

Offense Rank:18

Passing: 18

Rushing: 14

2001 (Second Season)

Offense Rank:20

Passing: 9

Rushing: 30

2002 (After Departure)

Offense Rank:11

Passing: 19

Rushing: 7

Kansas City Offensive Coordinator (2008)

2007 (Previous year)

Offense Ranked:29

Passing: 28

Rushing: 30

2008 (First Season)

Offense Ranked:22

Passing: 23

Rushing: 22

2009 (After Departure)

Offense Ranked:25

Passing: 26

Rushing: 20

We just hired exactly what "we wanted". But it's clear by the reaction we wanted all this, plus a "big name". I wasn't happy at first, but it's clear to me we hired a legit coach, and actually did do our homework. Probably the best hire we could have made considering the lack of people who seemed to want to coach here.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job, Mike :thumbsup:

I prefer a defensive minded coach, myself, but if Chan brings in a legit, innovative, AGGRESSIVE DC, I'll feel much better about the move. Defense still wins championships, and I want a strong defensive team to return to Buffalo.

So a very bad stint as OC in KC. A Miami team that got better on offense when he left. A semi-successful stint as a OC with the Steelers (A lot of guys are successful on the Steelers and no where else) and a Dallas team who lost a lot of talent after he departed shockingly fell off the map. ITS A BAD HIRE FACE IT HAD OTHER TEAMS BE LOOKING FOR A HC THEY WOULDN'T HAVE BROUGHT THIS GUY INTO THEIR OFFICES FOR AN INTERVIEW AS A HC.

I overlooked your anaylsis for two reasons. One, because I figure it will be almost impossible for our team not to improve offensively. and two, I was too preoccupied with my own little daydreaming realization:

In 1999, the Bills were a very hot AFC team going into the playoffs. We had an 11-5 wildcard team that was held together by a top notch defense.

-Our coach: Wade Phillips.

In 1999, the Cowboys squeak into the playoffs at 8-8, under the helm of Chan Gailey.

-They ran Gailey out of town because he couldn't win in the playoffs (a problem I'd love to have), and we kicked Wade out the next year because we went 8-8.

It's interesting to me how over ten years later, and we've somehow swapped coaches. Stunning, actually, considering fans of both teams were satisfied with the firings of both coaches.

I overlooked your anaylsis for two reasons. One, because I figure it will be almost impossible for our team not to improve offensively. and two, I was too preoccupied with my own little daydreaming realization:

In 1999, the Bills were a very hot AFC team going into the playoffs. We had an 11-5 wildcard team that was held together by a top notch defense.

-Our coach: Wade Phillips.

In 1999, the Cowboys squeak into the playoffs at 8-8, under the helm of Chan Gailey.

-They ran Gailey out of town because he couldn't win in the playoffs (a problem I'd love to have), and we kicked Wade out the next year because we went 8-8.

It's interesting to me how over ten years later, and we've somehow swapped coaches. Stunning, actually, considering fans of both teams were satisfied with the firings of both coaches.

both the cowboys and bills were fading fast talent wise. Free Agency had cleaned them both out. Gailey was canned more so because of 2 straight playoff blow outs and not the 8-8 season. in addition, JJ knew they needed to rebuild, and when he went with campo, they clearly went into full rebuild mold until PArcells/Bum took over.

the bills went through rebuild mode 3 times. once to clean out butlers mess of contracts and dead cap space he left, second to clean up donahoe's shoe string talent, and now 3rd to clean up Marv and Russ' disaster of a train wreck.

Gailey was an OC in the NFL this past year with old school philosiphies like RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. this is in stark contrast to Haley, who is a pass whacky architect. the NFL is a cyclic league - with the 3-4 at an all time high, the best way to beat it is with a solid running game, and the best way to be a 4-3 is with a great intermediary passing game and one that utilizes the middle of the field.

if we run the football like he has with his past teams (350ish carries for the RB, or split 200/200 with Lynch and FJ) we will be able to control the clock and grind down a lot of the d-linemen in 3-4s. nose tackles have a tough time chasing running backs all game and are better suited for a pass rush where tehy attack instead of run defense where they pursue.

so lets all get off our horses and let it play out....

Great post Kzoo, I have to agree with you that the idea of the Chan over the Chin is growing on me. He is exactly what we were looking for sans the big name. One thing you didn't mention that also plays into our favor according to TSW's "Braintrust" is that while Chan has taken teams to the playoffs, he has not won the Super Bowl, which we all know would disqualify him due to no coach ever being able to do that with two different teams. He's a perfect fit IMO and I'm pretty far from being a homer. I'm still going to reserve all judgement until Gailey makes his staff hirings however.

So a very bad stint as OC in KC. A Miami team that got better on offense when he left. A semi-successful stint as a OC with the Steelers (A lot of guys are successful on the Steelers and no where else) and a Dallas team who lost a lot of talent after he departed shockingly fell off the map. ITS A BAD HIRE FACE IT HAD OTHER TEAMS BE LOOKING FOR A HC THEY WOULDN'T HAVE BROUGHT THIS GUY INTO THEIR OFFICES FOR AN INTERVIEW AS A HC.

No, are you looking at different stats?

It's clear that the Chiefs improved when he got there and got worse when he left. Same with Pittsburgh. Same with Dallas, who improved a lot when he got there and went back to the same level after he left. So he wasn't successful on the Steelers and nowhere else. You'd have to analyze the numbers much more carefully to successfully question them.

The Miami stay, though, was not successful. I wonder why that was.

both the cowboys and bills were fading fast talent wise. Free Agency had cleaned them both out. Gailey was canned more so because of 2 straight playoff blow outs and not the 8-8 season. in addition, JJ knew they needed to rebuild, and when he went with campo, they clearly went into full rebuild mold until PArcells/Bum took over.

the bills went through rebuild mode 3 times. once to clean out butlers mess of contracts and dead cap space he left, second to clean up donahoe's shoe string talent, and now 3rd to clean up Marv and Russ' disaster of a train wreck.

Gailey was an OC in the NFL this past year with old school philosiphies like RUNNING THE FOOTBALL. this is in stark contrast to Haley, who is a pass whacky architect. the NFL is a cyclic league - with the 3-4 at an all time high, the best way to beat it is with a solid running game, and the best way to be a 4-3 is with a great intermediary passing game and one that utilizes the middle of the field.

if we run the football like he has with his past teams (350ish carries for the RB, or split 200/200 with Lynch and FJ) we will be able to control the clock and grind down a lot of the d-linemen in 3-4s. nose tackles have a tough time chasing running backs all game and are better suited for a pass rush where tehy attack instead of run defense where they pursue.

so lets all get off our horses and let it play out....

All good points, especially with a division full of 34 teams. I am still curious on what type of defense we will run and who Chan had worked with in the past. I would of rather Grimm, but Gailey is starting to sound a little better. Honestly, it all depends on who he hires. He may delegate the play-calling to his oc. I want to see Nolan in here for the D or some other known name or a good assistant on a elite defense.

All good points, especially with a division full of 34 teams. I am still curious on what type of defense we will run and who Chan had worked with in the past. I would of rather Grimm, but Gailey is starting to sound a little better. Honestly, it all depends on who he hires. He may delegate the play-calling to his oc. I want to see Nolan in here for the D or some other known name or a good assistant on a elite defense.

Bring back Ted Cottrell. He now has head coaching experience so if Gailey doesn't work out, he takes over.

With all seriousness, if he really is hired, he may have one of the toughest jobs in all of sports. Not only does he have to turn this franchise around, groom a franchise QB, get players to buy into him, but he's starting with probably 70% of the fanbase vehemently against him.

In other words, he'll have almost no "honeymoon" period at all. So, his margin for error is going to be razor thin.

I sure hope Nix and company know what they're doing because this has all the makings of a disaster.

With all seriousness, if he really is hired, he may have one of the toughest jobs in all of sports. Not only does he have to turn this franchise around, groom a franchise QB, get players to buy into him, but he's starting with probably 70% of the fanbase vehemently against him.

In other words, he'll have almost no "honeymoon" period at all. So, his margin for error is going to be razor thin.

I sure hope Nix and company know what they're doing because this has all the makings of a disaster.

I agree totally, and that's the reason I took the time to do this. We need to at least give the guy a chance. Contrary to the outburst amongst fans, he actually seems to have a lot going for him. By not giving him a chance people are making us even less attractive to staff now and down the road.

You make a good argument for hiring him. AS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. There is so much more involved in being a head coach though, and this guy has failed twice at that. You can't motivate guys with a chalkboard. Ralph is either senile or just a completw clown. A scout as GM. A marketer as president. And now a washed up coordinator as head coach. Joke.

Anyone saying "give the guy a chance" is saying that you trust Bills management. This is the same organization that has approved of Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, and now probably Gailey. Call me crazy, but as long as Smithers and Brandon haven't made a good decision in forever.

The rest of the NFL didn't want to give the guy a chance, but he's good enough here? It's mindbending to think we're at the point where it's necessary to make excuses for everything, no matter what it is. Why has he not been mentioned for any other HC job since forever? Why was he not even mentioned for an OC job since his firing in KC?

Who is the last manager, HC, GM, or otherwise that was hired by Buffalo and actually in demand by the NFL? And the first person who cites Levy in 86 should remember ML inherited too many quality players and had the greatest GM of his generation running the show.

What changed in Miami is that after he left, they sold the farm and replaced Lamar Smith with Ricky Williams. And while the offense improved in its yardage totals, it had scored more points under Gailey.

Additionally, he improved a Marino offense with a Fiedler offense when he took over.

You make a good argument for hiring him. AS AN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. There is so much more involved in being a head coach though, and this guy has failed twice at that. You can't motivate guys with a chalkboard. Ralph is either senile or just a completw clown. A scout as GM. A marketer as president. And now a washed up coordinator as head coach. Joke.

Explain to me how he has failed. He took a Jerry Jones-owned team to the playoffs for two consecutive years and only got fired because he...well...worked for Jerry Jones. I know that being a successful coordinator and college HC doesn't equate to an NFL head coach, but it's not like he had Jauron's record prior to this.

For the love of God, let's give him a chance. :thumbsup: