Chan Gailey

Nevergiveup

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, anyone hired by Ralph was going to be among the lowest paid coaches in the league, so that's kind of irrelevant. I think you are also being way too influenced by a very slanted article. To read that cold, you'd think the Cowboys were a last place team like the Bills. They made the playoffs BOTH years Gailey was there --- how bad could they have been? And that was despite a lot of guys on that team going into steep career decline (esp Aikman -- retired the following year, and Irvin -- didn't even play in '99). That's why the offense was in 'decline', not because of the coaching.

Dude got his playcalling duties stripped and was then fired before he even coached a regular season game with KC this year...this qualifies him to be a head coach how? :thumbsup::wallbash::D:worthy:

Well, anyone hired by Ralph was going to be among the lowest paid coaches in the league, so that's kind of irrelevant. I think you are also being way too influenced by a very slanted article. To read that cold, you'd think the Cowboys were a last place team like the Bills. They made the playoffs BOTH years Gailey was there --- how bad could they have been? And that was despite a lot of guys on that team going into steep career decline (esp Aikman -- retired the following year, and Irvin -- didn't even play in '99). That's why the offense was in 'decline', not because of the coaching.

By the same token you make it sound like the Cowboys were good in both his seasons. They were 8-8 in Gailey's second season in Dallas. Their playoff appearance was by default. It's a fine line between 8-8 and 7-9.

By the same token you make it sound like the Cowboys were good in both his seasons. They were 8-8 in Gailey's second season in Dallas. Their playoff appearance was by default. It's a fine line between 8-8 and 7-9.

10-6 with a division title and 8-8 with a WC isn't good? The NFL is always a fine line, but in the end you are what your record says you are. The Bills were 6-10 this year and haven't seen the playoffs in a decade.

I don't know if he's the right choice or not; but there's no reason to think he's not qualified. I really don't see too many other viable options, do you?

Dude got his playcalling duties stripped and was then fired before he even coached a regular season game with KC this year...this qualifies him to be a head coach how? :thumbsup::wallbash::D:worthy:

And how did that work out for KC? :(

All I know is Cowher and Shanahan don't win without a QB, a RB, and an O-Line. Plus, judging a coach as a coach only is unrealistic in a GM's league. Anyway found this post on arrowheadpride.com entitled, " The Case for Chan Gailey as the Chiefs Head Coach" posted almost exactly a year ago. It's worth reading: The Case for Chan Gailey as the Chiefs Head Coach

Ok ... I needed that story from Kansas City so that I could sleep better!

Great work at digging it up ... :thumbsup::wallbash:

10-6 with a division title and 8-8 with a WC isn't good? The NFL is always a fine line, but in the end you are what your record says you are. The Bills were 6-10 this year and haven't seen the playoffs in a decade.

I don't know if he's the right choice or not; but there's no reason to think he's not qualified. I really don't see too many other viable options, do you?

And how did that work out for KC? :thumbsup:

About the same it worked out for the Bills and Schonert....

because the criticisms of him are virtually identical to Jauron...doesn't win close games, team loses multiple games in a season because they can't score points(13 points or fewer won games against them 4 times), plays poorly on the road, offense regresses over time rather than improves, too laid back as head coach, QBs throwing too many checkdowns, team plays hard for him and doesn't cause locker room issues, and among the lowest paid coaches in the league...

The last point is probably reason #1 Gailey is getting hired...

Plus RW is a racist, sorry to tell you, who hires inferior white guys over good talent african americans. Both Frazier and Fewell are far better candidates for this job than the guy who was not employed this year (not even as an announcer!).

But that guy is whte.

DJ over Marvin Lewis.

Draw your own conclusions.

I am done with the Bills for the short term at least, I need time to recover from this latest hard fist to the gut.

Chan Gailey!!!???????????

I come home every night after work to see what the coaching search is like.

Tonight I read Chan Gailey might be our next HC. I'm like frozen with disgust right now.

Tommorow I better read Chan Gailey will be the OC and Frazier is still in the running.

I will wait until the Bills call the presser before I explode with anger.

After 10 years of being in the NFL wilderness. Of being gutted and avoiding success, this is the inspired hire that got Fewell and April let go?

Wow, what was the matter? Did they not know Frazier? Did they not know or heard of Billick? Or even Jim Fassell for that matter?

Old owner, old GM, green CEO hire a coach who has been out of the NFL polishing his coaching chops in the ACC.

Holy crow...The Bills sure make it easy to not be a fan. This is a total abomination to the memory of the SB teams. If they hire him as HC over qualified guys like Billick, Frazier, Fassell or Fewell. I'm done.

C

Plus RW is a racist, sorry to tell you, who hires inferior white guys over good talent african americans. Both Frazier and Fewell are far better candidates for this job than the guy who was not employed this year (not even as an announcer!).

But that guy is whte.

DJ over Marvin Lewis.

I am done with the Bills for the short term at least, I need time to recover from this latest hard fist to the gut.

DJ over Marvin Lewis? I think you're off by a couple of coaches there.........And, didn't Marvin Lewis turn us down?!?

But that guy is whte.

DJ over Marvin Lewis.

I see you quoted yourself two posts later. Pretty proud of that garbage, are you?

What bugs me is, the Bills Top Brass seem to think it's imperitive that they get an "offensive-minded" head coach. Did they not watch the defense and special teams this year?

No, what the Bills need is a head coach with the proven ability to:

1. Draft well (someone who has already shown to have had a hand in drafting quality players)

2. Execute successful trades (upgrade his team for both the short-term and the long-term)

3. Manage the game well (ie. adapt quickly to any wrinkles his opponents throw at him, manage the clock, etc)

4. Choose good assistants who both understand his philosophy and are willing to IMPLEMENT said philosophy (see DJ and his coordinators for the perfect example of the opposite).

From what this "coach search" looks like to me, anyway, the Bills either don't understand the real needs of the team, or they do understand this, but everyone with the above qualifications has turned them down already.

Just venting here, sorry. But this guy lost too many clutch games, as a coordinator and as a Head Coach, for me to think he is the General the Bills need.

Updated: January 19, 2010, 9:05 AM ET

Source: Bills close to hiring GaileyComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

The Buffalo Bills are close to hiring former Dallas Cowboys and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey as their new coach, a team source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Asked if the announcement would come Tuesday, the team source said, "I believe so."

The Bills are said to be impressed with how Gailey has brought teams to the playoffs with quarterbacks such as Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and Jay Fiedler. In fact, Bill Cowher -- whom the Bills had been courting to replace the fired Dick Jauron -- highly recommended Gailey to the Bills.

Cowher planned to make Gailey his assistant head coach/offensive coordinator if he came back. Gailey has coached in four Super Bowls and has had his teams go to the playoffs in 11 of his 15 NFL seasons.

Gailey was coach of the Cowboys in 1998-99, following Barry Switzer, reaching the playoffs in both seasons but failing to win a playoff game. He coached Georgia Tech from 2002 through 2007 and led the Yellow Jackets to a bowl game in all six seasons at the helm.

Gailey has also worked as an offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs, who hiredf him in 2008 and relieved him of his playcalling duties after three preseason games in 2009.

When one candidate after another backed out, the Bills kept turning back to Gailey at Cowher's recommendation. The more they thought about it, the more they liked it.

The Bills are said to be impressed with how Gailey has brought teams to the playoffs with quarterbacks such as Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and Jay Fiedler. In fact, Bill Cowher -- whom the Bills had been courting to replace the fired Dick Jauron -- highly recommended Gailey to the Bills.

So is this 1997?

I hate this news on so many levels. What a GD joke.