Nevergiveup

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

re·tread (r-trd)

tr.v. re·tread·ed, re·tread·ing, re·treads

1. To fit (a worn automotive tire) with a new tread.

2. To make or do over again, especially with minimal revision; rehash: retreading a familiar story line.

n. (rtrd)

3. A used-up coach in the National Football League with a uninspiring track record who is consistently rehired despite little prospect of success, usually by dysfunctional organizations. See Gailey, Chan and Jauron, Dick.

Could this definition have also applied to: Marv Levy, or Gruden, or Bellichek, or Shotty, or Vermiel, or Holmgren, or Dungy, ....?

It'll be interesting to see this press conference. Ralph drooling on himself and slurring his words, Nix saying "we got the guy we wanted" yada yada...

The draft will be the key for me. If they take the "best player available" (read a S or CB) that'll be all I can handle.

The organization has failed the faithful yet again....you get the ass end of Ralph.....AGAIN

All Cowher, Billick, Shanny and all of the top tier had to do was call TD, GW, MM or anyone in their networks....and get the lowdown....which is....

THE BILLS ARE NOT COMMITTED TO WINNING....their 90+ y.o. meddlesome, CHEAP, tinkering owner that doesn't even live in Buffalo has poisoned his own franchise to the point where there are 32 of these jobs in the world, and ONE opening..

and not one of the league list of top candidates has jumped to be named HC...the highest job in their profession....no takers

It's a small league, guys move around....know each other, communicate etc....

If you pair that situation with the climate and a dilapidated facility

you get your answer.

So sad that thsi is the case.

You act like Gailey has been out of the NFL for 10 years. He missed this last season. And what does it mean that he wasn't on anyone's radar? Spots reporters are like parrots repeating what they hear from each other. They didn't talk about Pete Carrol until the day he was hired. All that means is the parrots were too lazy.

PTR

Your opinion is waffling and worthless, but for the sake of clarity, Gailey has coached just one season in the NFL since his stint with the Dolphins, so he has not coached at the NFL level for most of the decade.

And the comparison to Pete Carrol is laughable. Carrol had a veritable dynasty at USC. Gailey got canned at GA Tech. I for one don't think Carrol is a great NFL HC in waiting, but he certainly warrants more consideration than Chan Gailey based on performance.

well thats better that what we've had for the past 10 years

only breaking .500 once

hovering in the bottom-middle of the league

and not being IN the playoffs

yea... he really sucks :w00t:

just because he isnt the biggest name that was thrown at the wall by the "ANALysts" doesnt mean he cant at least do SOMETHING with this team

more justification of mediocrity

correct me if I am wrong, fans dont want the choice thats going to do SOMETHING....

Assuming the Bills are going to hire CG, I think the questions now are as follows:

1. Can he assemble a strong staff? If Nolan comes to Buffalo (over Miami), that will be a very good sign.

2. Does CG have a commitment from RW and the FO to spend as necessary on players, assistant coaches etc.? I doubt that CG had any leverage to demand anything. This is one of the reasons that we needed a high profile head coach.

3. Will he help attract free agents to Buffalo? I don't think that his hire will be viewed as a positive by potential free agents and the team will have much work to do to attract free agents (assuming they try to sign any).

4. Will the current team be excited with the hire? Probably not. Maybe some of the offensive players will view it as a positive, but I would expect that the players were hoping for a more high profile hire.

5. Will this generate excitement among the fan base? No. Initially at least, this will be a PR nightmare, particularly after all of the press about the rejections for the position. As others have suggested, Brandon will likely need to pull a TO type marketing move to generate some excitement.

You act like Gailey has been out of the NFL for 10 years. He missed this last season. And what does it mean that he wasn't on anyone's radar? Spots reporters are like parrots repeating what they hear from each other. They didn't talk about Pete Carrol until the day he was hired. All that means is the parrots were too lazy.

PTR

Yeah youre right, the entire league and all of the writers don't know anything about HC candidates.

Ray Handley was a misunderstood man

PTR

Also had 6 winning seasons at a large college program, how many did Harbaugh have? Actually has never had a losing season as a head coach. He's obviously not a big name, but what could they do, Shanahan and Cowher turned them down.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/story/2008/1/17/113839/145

* None of his teams went below .500 and most of his teams won 10+ games

* His teams usually hovered around the top 15 and usually ended up in the top 10

* His teams have been very successful in the playoffs

http://kan.scout.com/2/720715.html

The fact that the game mismanaging, complete lack of imagination on offense, ultra-conservative Herm Edwards is such a big advocate of Gailey and says "Our philosophies match up" reduces my confidence in this hire.

Assuming the Bills are going to hire CG, I think the questions now are as follows:

5. Will this generate excitement among the fan base? No. Initially at least, this will be a PR nightmare, particularly after all of the press about the rejections for the position. As others have suggested, Brandon will likely need to pull a TO type marketing move to generate some excitement.

Russ will definitely earn his keep if he can make this one look good however no matter if he does or not the fans will still buy tickets, sure we will B word and moan but eventually will sell out all the games.

more justification of mediocrity

correct me if I am wrong, fans dont want the choice thats going to do SOMETHING....

correct my if im wrong, but dont the fans (of which i am one) want to see the team win? thats something.

apparently you outsiders think that we FANS like a guy who is gonna sit around and :w00t: on himself on the sidelines every game while the team goes out and sucks

This hiring (if it is true) is kinda like sitting down for dinner and expecting a three course meal and getting a bowl of clumpy white rice. Yeah, it will fill you up, but it tastes like crap.

After hearing all the big and little names turning us down, you had to know this was coming. I will expect the worst and hope for the best. That's all I can do right now.

Ultra-conservative and doesnt like to use the middle of the field, lost lots of games where the opposition scored under 15 points......ah the more things change the more they stay the same. Cant wait till April and the entire room at the NFL draft goes -whaaaaaaaaaaat-when we make our selection. This is has been a bad movie for 10 years and it aint gonna get better.

When i first heard the news about gailey most likely being our new head coach, i was pretty upset. i was just starting to warm up to the idea of frazier and out of the blue here comes a guy that we all heard about getting fired at the same time turk was getting fired. However, after looking a little more into his career, all i can say is i have no problem giving this guy a chance. in every year that he has been a head coach, whether it be pro or college, he has only had a losing season ONE time, and that being in 1993 with samford university bulldogs (div 1-aa) i do have concerns with his inability to win bowl games, or playoff games, but the fact is i would walk around with a stiffy for a week if we could just get IN to the playoffs at this point. i cant believe all of these people so ready to walk away from this team over this choice. no its not a big name like cowher, but beggers cant really be choosers. lets try to get some pride back into this orginization, and gailey has proven then he can lead a team to a winning record, and to the playoffs. baby steps people, were any of you really expecting to go win the superbowl next year even if cowher, or shanny would of came? Go Bills!!!

This just doesn't seem to be an imaginative hire when the situation really calls for a fresh approach. I just don't think we have upgraded from what we just got rid of. It is so uninspired. Budday Nix and Chan Gailey might have been exciting 20 years ago.

Ultra-conservative and doesnt like to use the middle of the field, lost lots of games where the opposition scored under 15 points......ah the more things change the more they stay the same. Cant wait till April and the entire room at the NFL draft goes -whaaaaaaaaaaat-when we make our selection. This is has been a bad movie for 10 years and it aint gonna get better.

yet these were done in KC... a place with less talent than even buffalo...