Has AJ Smith wasted one of the most talented teams of the decade?

Big Turk

In terms of raw on the field talent, San Diego might have had the most talented team of the past decade. IMHO, AJ Smith has wasted all this talent by having Schottenheimer and Turner as his head coach in succession---2 of the biggest playoff choke artists in the history of the NFL. San Diego will look back and wonder what could have been...

In terms of raw on the field talent, San Diego might have had the most talented team of the past decade. IMHO, AJ Smith has wasted all this talent by having Schottenheimer and Turner as his head coach in succession---2 of the biggest playoff choke artists in the history of the NFL. San Diego will look back and wonder what could have been...

Well, the coach didn't miss 3 field goals, so I don't question the SD coaching in this game.

And Marty's at the top of half the poster's list for who they want as HC.

Has AJ Smith wasted one of the most talented teams of the decade?, Hiring perhaps the 2 biggest playoff choking coaches ever?

Well... Maybe that's part of why Nix came back here.... They supposedly had a falling out... Maybe they disagreed on the coaching decision... I wish Smith never left Buffalo though... Come to think of it, I wish Polian never left Buffalo... Wait Butler was here with him too.. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it's just because of the coaches, but yes he has wasted the talent in much the same manner that Polian wasted the Bills talent by stubbornly refusing to address the DT and strong safety positions during the Bills 4 straight SB losses.

AJ Smith, like Bill Polian, is very egotistic and stubborn. However, they are both OUSTANDING talent evaluators. They will continue to put good teams on the field. Eventually they may get lucky and fall into a favorable playoff run like the Colts did when they finally got to the big game only to find a far inferior Bears team as their opponent.

Philip Rivers has about 10 good years in front of him, at some point that team will get to a Super Bowl.

The Bills future doesn't look so promising.

AJ Smith/Butler made a very good move building the team with Schottenheimer he had a few chances in the playoffs but AJ Smith pulled the plug on Schottenheimer after a 14-2 choke to the Pats*. The real mistake was hiring Norv Turner as HC once Schottenheimer was fired. Turner did get them a few wins in the playoffs (1 last year, 2 the year before but his record overall is 3-3 with the Jets loss) but this Jets loss is just unforgivable.

I feel like the Chargers should have at least gotten to 1 Super Bowl in the last 7 years of success. The Chargers are the Eagles of the AFC but at least the Eagles got to a Super Bowl during their runs (Also got to the NFC Title game 5 times compared to the Charges 1 appearance).

The Chargers window is still open with a young QB in place and some other young pieces in place (Castillo, Merriman, Phillips, English, on D while Rivers, Sprols, Jackson, Floyd, and a few O-lineman on the Offense). But there are elite pieces that are getting older (LT, Gates, Jamal Williams and a few guys on their O-line) and in the NFL the Window doesn't stay open for long.

And Marty's at the top of half the poster's list for who they want as HC.

Hey, after 10 years, just making the playoffs is a good step for the Bills...gotta take baby steps...he obviously is the wrong coach for an elite team looking to take the next step...

In terms of raw on the field talent, San Diego might have had the most talented team of the past decade. IMHO, AJ Smith has wasted all this talent by having Schottenheimer and Turner as his head coach in succession

You're right. He should have just stuck with Marty.

Well, the coach didn't miss 3 field goals, so I don't question the SD coaching in this game.

That and a lot of undisplined penalties did them in. Kicking the challenge flag, 15 yards? C'mon man! Get your head in the game. Several personal fouls, after the play.

Ryan had his team focused and you didn't see the Jets do anything stupid the entire game. Disipline is a area where the coach counts...

i'd have to say that marty more than smith is the person that molded this team into the regular season beast it is.

without marty for those years, i think the chargers are still a joke of a team.

who hired kevin gilbride? mike riley?

Exactly. We've been bad so long and had such crappy players, we blame everything on coaching. Their kicker choked. Big time. Sound familiar?

No. Actually it doesn't sound familiar. If someone misses a kick that has about a 50% probability, like a 47 yarder on a grass field, I don't even begin to consider that choking. Cheap accusations are so easy.

i'd have to say that marty more than smith is the person that molded this team into the regular season beast it is.

without marty for those years, i think the chargers are still a joke of a team.

who hired kevin gilbride? mike riley?

[/quote

I don't think it was John Butler, may have been Bobby beathard.