Apartment Searching

CountDorkula

Hey All,

I am currently searching for my first apartment with a buddy of mine, there is just one problem. I am stereotyped as the average 23 year old male who loves to party. Dont get me wrong i do love me some drinks but im just getting frusturated.

No Apartment will take me seriously, I have a full time and make decent money, but still because im young i get looked donw up on.

I am serching in the western New York area (Hamburg, Lackawana, OP, Buffalo(Downtown area-ish)

Can anyone provide me any advice. with what to do, where to go, how to convince people to let me rent.

Thanks,

J

Now you know how black people feel.

Seriously, other than getting a female roommate and letting the landlord believe you are a couple (or letting him think you are gay and a couple with your buddy), you just need to keep trying. Obviously, make sure you are dressed decently, clean shaved, etc. when you meet the prospective landlord. Given the economy, there are plenty of landlords who are getting desperate for tenants.

Seriously, other than getting a female roommate and letting the landlord believe you are a couple (or letting him think you are gay and a couple with your buddy), you just need to keep trying. Obviously, make sure you are dressed decently, clean shaved, etc. when you meet the prospective landlord. Given the economy, there are plenty of landlords who are getting desperate for tenants.

Who knows, he may be black and getting the double whammy.

Anyway, with the housing the way it is and the economy... Shouldn't it be hard to find a place to rent?? You think with all the people getting kicked out of their homes, more people would be looking to rent.

Who knows, he may be black and getting the double whammy.

That would indeed be a double whammy. In all honesty, I wouldn't rent to two 23 year old guys either; black, white, green or blue.

Anyway, with the housing the way it is and the economy... Shouldn't it be hard to find a place to rent?? You think with all the people getting kicked out of their homes, more people would be looking to rent.

Could be, rabbit.

That would indeed be a double whammy. In all honesty, I wouldn't rent to two 23 year old guys either; black, white, green or blue.

Could be, rabbit.

Then again... Houses are super cheap... I have seen houses that were going for almost 200k down to well below 100k.

Heck, I can find a house here in a very tolerable and liveable area for under 50k.

Christ.. If you have a job and a stash of cash in the 401k... Who needs the mortgage company, borrow against yourself.

There's gotta be more to it than what you're describing. There are empty rental properties all over WNY that would love to get anybody with a decent full time job. Especially in an area of the city that is filled with predominantly young people.

Any decent places near one of the schools? Those landlords are used to dealing with broke partying college students and would probably be thrilled to get someone with a real job.

There's gotta be more to it than what you're describing. There are empty rental properties all over WNY that would love to get anybody with a decent full time job. Especially in an area of the city that is filled with predominantly young people.

Any decent places near one of the schools? Those landlords are used to dealing with broke partying college students and would probably be thrilled to get someone with a real job.

I think he is forgetting he wants to pay 200 bucks a month with utilites in OP.

:thumbdown::censored:

Even with bad credit, unless the market is tight... Things shouldn't be that hard. Heck, like I said... One can buy a house for the price of a car!

Im white to clear that up.. lol.

I can only think of 2 things really, 1) I have debts from School and Car loans (around 35K) and 2) i really have no credit. I do have some, damn credit cards, worst thing ever invented. Bus besides that i cant really figure it out.

Though i just did get a call back about 15 min ago and im going to look at an apt tonight in Lackawana, so here si to things looking up :thumbdown:

I think he is forgetting he wants to pay 200 bucks a month with utilites in OP.

:thumbdown::censored:

Even with bad credit, unless the market is tight... Things shouldn't be that hard. Heck, like I said... One can buy a house for the price of a car!

HAHA no im expecting to pay about 350 a month rent + utilities.

Yes that is correct, so it would be $700 total. Does anyone know or can estimate cost of utilities.

Thanks for all the response guys!

I've lived in a couple of different places in the area that are probably similar to what you're looking into. I would say that the average amount I spent on utilities - Cable, gas, and electric (Water was included in both for me) - was around $150 if you're dividing by two.

Hey All,

I am currently searching for my first apartment with a buddy of mine, there is just one problem. I am stereotyped as the average 23 year old male who loves to party. Dont get me wrong i do love me some drinks but im just getting frusturated.

No Apartment will take me seriously, I have a full time and make decent money, but still because im young i get looked donw up on.

I am serching in the western New York area (Hamburg, Lackawana, OP, Buffalo(Downtown area-ish)

Can anyone provide me any advice. with what to do, where to go, how to convince people to let me rent.

Thanks,

J

If I were the landlord, I would shoot you on sight. :wallbash:

If I were the landlord, I would shoot you on sight. :wallbash:

HEHE... thanks i appreciate that... but im a really nice guy :lol:

Can she beat $2750 for 750 sq foot one bedroom one bath?

Oh wow i dont know what she pays exactly, i dont think it is that much. I thought those prices were only in Martha's Vineyard!!!

HEHE... thanks i appreciate that... but im a really nice guy :wallbash:

Oh wow i dont know what she pays exactly, i dont think it is that much. I thought those prices were only in Martha's Vineyard!!!

Downtown San Francisco and $350 of that is just to park two cars. We're moving this weekend to a 1400 foot three level loft for $2800 but that only included parking for one car. Tack on another $100-150 per month for my wife's car. Worth every penny though if you ask me.

Yes that is correct, so it would be $700 total. Does anyone know or can estimate cost of utilities.

Thanks for all the response guys!

Nothing is as sincere as cash.

Show up with thirty five 20 dollar bills and flash the cash. Then get a copy of the lease, take it home, and read it. If you like the place, negotiate what is objectionable to you in the document. Make sure you know who pays utilities. If it's you, call 'em to see if they will take you on as a customer before you plunk down for a place. It's pretty bad if you do so and the utility companies lift their legs on you.

If you agree to move in and fork over dough, be sure to get a signed, dated receipt that includes what it's for, and the property address. And have more cash - to cover security deposit and 1st month's rent.

I doubt it has anything to do with race or age. There's laws against that stuff which hits the landlord with pretty stiff penalties if you can prove it

My guess is your problem is more like credit rating

One of the first things a landlord does is check your credit rating. Unlike race or age, landlords have every right to refuse to rent to you for bad credit.

And a bit of advice, make sure you get renters insurance

I doubt it has anything to do with race or age. There's laws against that stuff which hits the landlord with pretty stiff penalties if you can prove it

My guess is your problem is more like credit rating

One of the first things a landlord does is check your credit rating. Unlike race or age, landlords have every right to refuse to rent to you for bad credit.

And a bit of advice, make sure you get renters insurance

Thanks all for eveything.Still up searching...ITS TAKING OVER MY LIFE RIGHT NOW(At least it distracts me from the Buffalo Bills) Went on my first visit and lets say it can only get better ( I hope).

Ive heard of this renters insurance thing but never actually looked into it. Is it really that much wort it, I have heard both ways? :censored:

Thanks all for eveything.Still up searching...ITS TAKING OVER MY LIFE RIGHT NOW(At least it distracts me from the Buffalo Bills) Went on my first visit and lets say it can only get better ( I hope).

Ive heard of this renters insurance thing but never actually looked into it. Is it really that much wort it, I have heard both ways? :censored:

Depends. If all you own is a transistor radio and a pillow, no. But if you have expensive stuff it might be. One of my renters told me it costs like $15 a month for like $10,000 coverage

that very prejudice of you, to confirm that all black people feel a certain way :thumbdown:

Depends. If all you own is a transistor radio and a pillow, no. But if you have expensive stuff it might be. One of my renters told me it costs like $15 a month for like $10,000 coverage

Should be able to get it for even less than that. Through State Farm I get 50k in coverage for 100$ a year.

If you are 23-years old and have decent pay, WITHOUT A DOUBT rent a place in the Elmwood Ave area. Lots of nice spots for reasonable rent, and walking distance to all your local hotspots.

Live a fun life for a few more years. The other places you mentioned living will still be there in 3-4 years if you're looking to upgrade your lodging, or "quiet down" a little bit.

If you are 23-years old and have decent pay, WITHOUT A DOUBT rent a place in the Elmwood Ave area. Lots of nice spots for reasonable rent, and walking distance to all your local hotspots.

Live a fun life for a few more years. The other places you mentioned living will still be there in 3-4 years if you're looking to upgrade your lodging, or "quiet down" a little bit.

My son was in that area when he was in Buffalo, West Utica st I think.

Ive heard of this renters insurance thing but never actually looked into it. Is it really that much wort it, I have heard both ways? :thumbdown:

Comb you hair and wear a nice shirt (with buttons) and pants (not jeans). Ask questions and say reply with a lot of "yes sir" or "yes ma'am"....renters insurance is dirt cheap, get some.

SO ever since i started this thread things have turned around. In the 2 days i have gotten 4 phone calls on vieweing places. Lets just say my saturday is going to be very busy...

Im actually really liking this place i saw on elmwood on clairmotn ST in Buffalo. Really nice place.

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it, and will def check into the renters insurance.

SO ever since i started this thread things have turned around. In the 2 days i have gotten 4 phone calls on vieweing places. Lets just say my saturday is going to be very busy...

Im actually really liking this place i saw on elmwood on clairmotn ST in Buffalo. Really nice place.

Thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it, and will def check into the renters insurance.

Just let us know when you're having the housewarming party.