Wilson updates AP on Bills coaching search

i honestly think that the bills are waiting for Cowher to accept the bills job. if cowher removes himself from the bills job, Nix will immediately make contact with Marty Schottenheimer. i think it would be embarrassing to Marty to get him dangling, only to pull the rug out from under him if cowher says yes.

(i apologize to those who may have seen my comment in one of the other 50 threads on this Cowher subject)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph has complete control over when he gives interviews. So why did he choose to speak now?

In my opinion his conversation with JW was a complete stalling action. Stalling could be determined to be necessary for several possible reasons::

- to throw a small bone to the fans while we wait going into the weekend

- to give Cowher time to release the info in a way that assists his current employer, or fulfills his contract (someone mentioned that he could have a nondisclosure clause limiting his abiity to discuss his status while the season is in progress

- to confirm the Bills interest in Cowher in order to limit other candidates' negotiating leverage

- other ?

or...Ralph went public because he wants everyone to think he tried to get Cowher when in reality he had no intention of hiring the guy and giving up so much control. To me it signals another uninspired hire by the Bills. It's a smoke screen. I sure hope I am wrong, but I have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

It would be easy for Cowher to come out and say he's not interested in Bills job and put all this to bed. Most likely scenario is Cowher using Bills as leverage for a yet-to-be-open job. Makes it difficult for any other big name like Schottenhiemer the elder or Billick to swallow their pride and be Buffalo's 2nd choice.

It would be easy for Cowher to come out and say he's not interested in Bills job and put all this to bed. Most likely scenario is Cowher using Bills as leverage for a yet-to-be-open job. Makes it difficult for any other big name like Schottenhiemer the elder or Billick to swallow their pride and be Buffalo's 2nd choice.

There isn't really any team there to leverage the Bill against at this time. Unless he's trying to force one of his targeted teams to make a coaching change, which i doubt, he appears to be interested in Buffalo

"We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name."

There he goes with that "splashy name" bit again. Does he mean we don't want to hire a coach with just a splashy name? Or are we supposed to take it for what it is??

There isn't really any team there to leverage the Bill against at this time. Unless he's trying to force one of his targeted teams to make a coaching change, which i doubt, he appears to be interested in Buffalo

There are no other openings for Cowher to consider at this time, just speculation on who might

be fired. So for the Bills to not explore every option, would be ludicrous. I want this team to

do it's due diligence regarding signing of the next head coach, not just a "splashy name".

It is obvious Cowher has been spoken to by the Bills. Has he been offered the job? Nobody knows

except the Bills organization and Bill Cowher. If he has not been offered the job, do the Bills intend

on offering him the position? Nobody knows but the Bills organization.

Maybe Cowher has been offered the job and is truly deciding on coaching versus retirement, not just

if he would want to coach Buffalo or some other job. Granted, if his "dream job" opened, he would

probably take that job immediately, as would any one of us.

FWIW, Billick, Shotty Sr., Harbaugh, Grimm, and every other qualified coach in the NFL/college are

still available. The only coach we wanted who is gone is Shanny, as this Pete Carroll thing was a

big surprise. Now, if the top candidates start being picked off and we still don't have a coach in the

mix, that's when I'll be worried. Personally I want Cowher number one, but would be very happy with

Shotty Sr., and OK with Billick. Both former coaches who have done something in this league, and both

are available with Billick being very public about his desire for the job.

I am willing to let this all play out as I am confident the Bills have one or two guys targeted and would

be willing to do what it takes...to a certain degree. As most people on this board feel, the longer this

plays out, the worse the end story will be. We'll just have to wait and see. It doesn't end with the

signing of the next HC anyway. We won't know for a few years if the right decision was made anyway,

no matter if we sign Cowher, Billick or Fraiser.

If Cowher doesn't start collecting coaching pay this year, he runs the risk of not coaching until 2012. He wants to coach...just not in Buffalo. But he's got limited choices. Now Wilson backed him into a corner where he has to say something.

Frankly, if the guy isn't interested, fug him. Give me Billick, who wants to coach in Buffalo (And is in the same boat with respect to waiting until 2012...but isn't getting big time TV talking head money).

"We don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name."

There he goes with that "splashy name" bit again. Does he mean we don't want to hire a coach with just a splashy name? Or are we supposed to take it for what it is??

Based on his speech manner, which is usually pretty blunt/short/curt/ornery/, I am firmly in the 'We don't want to hire someone just because they have a [big] name' camp as what RW probably intended to say. Only thing was, it didn't come out that way at all.... We got, 'We don't want someone with a [big] name.' Bit of difference there. In recent years, it's like speech is so physically draining that he wants to do the least amount possible. But even when he did speak more, it was often w/o tact.

It would really help the franchise if Ralph would stop being publicly involved. Just stop appearing at pressers to talk, stop making public comments. That's what Russ is here for. Refer to him for commenting so the whole idea sees print, rather than what Ralph can manage to wheeze out.

Put your input during FO/team meetings. Go to games in the box. OK, you can even go to the big pressers if you want, just don't talk.

to clear up a couple things:

first, Mr. Wilson chose to return my call, so not sure if there was any agenda. Mr. Wilson isn't one to "spin" news, so i highly doubt he was sending a message to Cowher by saying what he said. he wasn't stalling, he wasn't posturing, he was simply answering a question.

secondly, to one poster, Mr. Wilson reiterated his intention to build a winner and turn this team around.

and thirdly, i didn't do the sabres game or the swannie. spent a quiet night at home with my wife.

fourthly, relying on Mr. Wilson's comments that the search is ongoing and planning to kick back for most of this weekend and watch some football that actually counts. playoffs? ... as i tell colleagues, they're a mere rumor in these parts.

jw

Based on his speech manner, which is usually pretty blunt/short/curt/ornery/, I am firmly in the 'We don't want to hire someone just because they have a [big] name' camp as what RW probably intended to say. Only thing was, it didn't come out that way at all.... We got, 'We don't want someone with a [big] name.' Bit of difference there. In recent years, it's like speech is so physically draining that he wants to do the least amount possible. But even when he did speak more, it was often w/o tact.

It would really help the franchise if Ralph would stop being publicly involved. Just stop appearing at pressers to talk, stop making public comments. That's what Russ is here for. Refer to him for commenting so the whole idea sees print, rather than what Ralph can manage to wheeze out.

Put your input during FO/team meetings. Go to games in the box. OK, you can even go to the big pressers if you want, just don't talk.

You are 100% right. Of course it will never happen. Not to mention, whoever takes your stance with him would be out of a job.

I think Ralph is playing it very close to the vest right now. He's the team owner and he doesn't know if the top candidate is interested in the position?! BS. I think both sides are speaking and neither is going to tip its hat that it's going on until something happens either way.

"Wilson is eager to find a coach to turn around the fortunes of a team that went 6-10 this past season to miss the playoffs for a 10th straight year."

I'm a "glass is half full" kind of guy. I'll take the above quote as a good sign.

to clear up a couple things:

first, Mr. Wilson chose to return my call, so not sure if there was any agenda. Mr. Wilson isn't one to "spin" news, so i highly doubt he was sending a message to Cowher by saying what he said. he wasn't stalling, he wasn't posturing, he was simply answering a question.

secondly, to one poster, Mr. Wilson reiterated his intention to build a winner and turn this team around.

and thirdly, i didn't do the sabres game or the swannie. spent a quiet night at home with my wife.

fourthly, relying on Mr. Wilson's comments that the search is ongoing and planning to kick back for most of this weekend and watch some football that actually counts. playoffs? ... as i tell colleagues, they're a mere rumor in these parts.

jw

Good idea John. Just remember though, whomever Wilson hires as the new HC.....there's going to be a lot of complaining about it. I sure do miss the 90's, when fans were complaining about not winning the superbowl.

You may be right in terms of the amount of speculation generated by every word the guy says. But I don't think Ralph is the typical 91 year old. I read the same articles everyone else does, and based on that it seems like Ralph is very physically fit. He's been an avid tennis player most of his life, and that's a great way to stay in shape if you're serious about it. So assuming that fact, he's likely just being more blunt than most people would like. But then again, that's what I like about Ralph. At 91, I doubt that he really cares what people think of him. I'll take that any day over the scripted responses most owners will give.

Ah jeez...

jw...could we all chip in and pay you to not talk to Ralph? :thumbsup:

That interview just doesn't make Mr. Wilson appear to be in control.

wait, I thought Bills fans didn't want Ralph to be in control????

I'm confused, people want Ralph to step away and let the "football guys" handle everything and let Ralph just pay the checks, yet they want him to know every detail so he can let us all into the loop