Wilson updates AP on Bills coaching search

right, not much earth-shattering news, but Mr. Wilson at least named Cowher as someone they've talked to.

his tone of voice regarding "you'd have to ask him," sounded to me like they've left it to Cowher, and he hasn't really been that interested.

in the updated version of the story, you should note that Mr. Wilson said: "we don't want to hire a coach with a splashy name," and instead is looking for someone who "wants to come to Buffalo." reading between the lines, that suggests they're not counting on Cowher.

Mr. Wilson at least did clear up the timetable, but saying there isn't one and that they're not rushing into making a decision. that leads me to believe that there's still candidates out there to interview. so rather than expecting a press conference this weekend, it might be further down the road.

Mr. Wilson did not want to say much, and that's understandable. the search is ongoing.

jw

Thanks, John.........Great info..........Like many have said above, I'm now done with Cowher. If he can't say yes after a week or so of this, then there is no reason to want him anymore. Seems like Ralph and Co. have done their best to get the coach we all want, so you can't really blame them.......Time to move on. (And, call Billick, Ralph!)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly.....if Ralph wants somebody here that WANTS to be here?

Hire billick. He is not a bad second option to pie in the sky cowher.....at least he has a winning record and super bowl.

its a immediate step up.

Agree - at least give Billick a call

One thing that I dont get is the report from NFLN last night saying someone in the Bills organization says they think they have their guy in mind and a decision could be coming shortly.

Now wilson says there is no time table for the search and doesnt want to rush it??

I'd say that whoever reported that from NFLN apparently doesn't have Ralph's phone number.

There is no reason to assume that. If Ralph has any sense left, he turned Nix and Russ loose together and said, Lwake me up when we hire someone." Personally I don't think he knows what day it is, and I bet if you pressed him, he couldn't even list all the guys they want to talk to. And I don't think he has the wits left to play coy with Cowher or anyone else. Can anyone who has seen him speak in public this season disagree?

why are we talking to Ralph when it was made clear that Buddy Nix will be hiring the new coach?

where is the call to Russ and Buddy?

I understand why Cowher wouldn't have much enthusiasm for the Bills' job. My preference would be to pursue a HC candidate who clearly wants the job and the challenge of rebuilding a very damaged franchise. Buddy Nix's biggest challenge isn't getting a HC. His biggest challenge is drafting well and bringing in solid free agent players which will improve on this very impoverished roster.

Russ and Buddy should stop in to see Kirk Ferentz on their cross country tour.

he is a bonafide candidate who is equal to the other pretenders on the various rumor lists

Thanks John. I just don't understand why Cowher just doesn't come out and say he is not interested like he has every other time in the past. It seems to be the case...but i guess he knows that we are Bills fans and we never take the quick and easy death...

Maybe he doesn't because he is interested to a point. He might be thinking it over. Or maybe he doesn't want to seem like a bad guy; that's human nature. If he turns down Buffalo folks will take that as a rejection of the organization and the city. He's from WPA. He knows the deal. But Mr. Wilson put the bullseye on Cowher's back with that comment. Because some reporter will definitely ask him if he wants the job and he will have to say something definitive. But Mr. Wilson is right. As much as we all want Cowher it's senseless to get someone who doesn't want to be there. If that's the case Eff him. Lets get a coach that wants the job and is passionate about it. If Cowher settles how good a job can we expect from him?

why are we talking to Ralph when it was made clear that Buddy Nix will be hiring the new coach?

where is the call to Russ and Buddy?

You missed the quote from Nix saying, "We'll get our top two candidates, three at the outside, and then take them to Mr. Wilson"?

It very well might be. Chuck Pollock, for one, seems to think that leaking the names of Shanahan and Cowher was intentional:

POLLOCK: Bills coaching search seems aimless

Chuck Pollock doesn't know. The national media doesn't know. Nobody knows and we just have to wait. The Bills FO is playing everybody. All of this conflicting information is no accident. They want people out of the mix and that's just what they're getting.

Chuck Pollock doesn't know. The national media doesn't know. Nobody knows and we just have to wait. The Bills FO is playing everybody. All of this conflicting information is no accident. They want people out of the mix and that's just what they're getting.

Might be the best recap I've seen.

One thing that I dont get is the report from NFLN last night saying someone in the Bills organization says they think they have their guy in mind and a decision could be coming shortly.

Now wilson says there is no time table for the search and doesnt want to rush it??

yeah and what about the Dallas radio report suggesting friends of Cowher thinks he is going to someplace similar to Pittsburgh? not sure what to make of anything :rolleyes:

Are we on the same page thinking that maybe, I say MAYBE Schottenheimer, as a close friend of Cowher is waiting for him to make a final decision on whether or not he'll give it a go in Buffalo. If the word is "No", then maybe Schottzie will step up to the plate and say that while he had every intention of remaining retired, enjoying every beautiful round of golf with no headaches, no pressures, etc, this wonderful opportunity to coach the GREAT BUFFALO BILLS is just too much to let go by the wayside and he intends to put every effort into making them into a CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!!!! :rolleyes::flirt:;)

Are we on the same page thinking that maybe, I say MAYBE Schottenheimer, as a close friend of Cowher is waiting for him to make a final decision on whether or not he'll give it a go in Buffalo. If the word is "No", then maybe Schottzie will step up to the plate and say that while he had every intention of remaining retired, enjoying every beautiful round of golf with no headaches, no pressures, etc, this wonderful opportunity to coach the GREAT BUFFALO BILLS is just too much to let go by the wayside and he intends to put every effort into making them into a CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL TEAM!!!!!!! :rolleyes::flirt:;)

that might be the case....but I don't see why he would need to be that courteous to cowher. I suspect shcotty remains retired. I predict Cowher says he's remaining in broadcasting for family, etc tomorrow and that there is Billick announcement Tuesday -

that might be the case....but I don't see why he would need to be that courteous to cowher. I suspect shcotty remains retired. I predict Cowher says he's remaining in broadcasting for family, etc tomorrow and that there is Billick announcement Tuesday -

We'll have to wait until sunday to see Cowher on TV. Both games are on NBC tomorrow.

If Wilson isn't being coy and Cowher isn't interested then it is indeed time to move one. Do you really want a coach here that doesn't really want to be here. Clearly if the almighty Cowher wanted to be here he would be.

I'd rather have a coach with a burning fire to prove something and a desire to want to bring a championship to the City of Buffalo.