Defensive Draft Targets...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I think people forget is that we don't need to solve all of our needs in the draft, we have FA as well. I'm not saying these guys are necessarily all guys I want, but they might be available and help fill our voids: Vick, OT McNeill, DeMeco Ryans, Osi, Jahri Evans, Mankins, Colon, Dumervil, Vanden Bosch, Kampman, Merriman, Ruud, Dansby, kirk morrison

One thing I think people forget is that we don't need to solve all of our needs in the draft, we have FA as well. I'm not saying these guys are necessarily all guys I want, but they might be available and help fill our voids: Vick, OT McNeill, DeMeco Ryans, Osi, Jahri Evans, Mankins, Colon, Dumervil, Vanden Bosch, Kampman, Merriman, Ruud, Dansby, kirk morrison

McNeill, Ryans, Evans, and Ruud at a minimum are restricted free agents and would not come without surrendering draft picks.

Vick, Vanden Bosch, Kampman, and Merriman are older or have injury concerns and it's not time to be taking chances. And based on Bills recent history combined with no cap floor or ceiling, I don't see them breaking the bank in UFA.

Get more picks and begin the rebuilding the right way.

Mankins would do wonders for our oline. And if we get a healthy Butler and Wood- our oline is almost there

yeah what the hell..let's get mclain and cody...we can do without an offensive line for another year.

get Mclain and Cody, sign Mankins, draft oline rounds 3-5, and get back a healthy Wood and Butler. I would love that offseason!

You could fix the defense with 2 moves in the draft. Take Mcclain with your first pick & cody with your 2nd pick. Trade up if you have to. 2 Bama boys & 2 players that will knock you into next tuesday. Get these 2 guys & your defense is top 15 possibly top 10 next year. Worry about the offense in year 2 of the rebuilding project.

I think this is the way to go, 2 game changers from day one. I think Offensive Tackle is a tough pick for our first overall, I think Okung will be gone, and I think the other OT's are a reach.

I have to disagree with our need at DT. Stroud consistenly still draws the double team and Kyle Williams is a Pro-Bowl alternate. Yes, DT's can make the tackle, but there job is to more take the attention of the O-Line for the LB's to handle business. Now, our LB's is what is a scary situation, mainly due to health reasons. When healthy, we were fine against the run with Poz and Mitchell, but could use some beef at the other OLB position.

For those saying move Poz to the outside, my naive brain would agree with you. However, most coaches seem to say that you would need more speed on the outside, which Poz doesn't have. The ideal situation would either be a 3-4 where you have Poz and someone else, or draft another OLB that is a playmaker.

Overall, on D. I think that if you get some pass rushing DE's, another OLB, and a SS, we are in great shape. Top 3 defense shape. Assuming they all stop stubbing their toes.

You bring in the right coach, make those changes, get a QB and an OT, i'm optimistic

I have to disagree with our need at DT. Stroud consistenly still draws the double team and Kyle Williams is a Pro-Bowl alternate. Yes, DT's can make the tackle, but there job is to more take the attention of the O-Line for the LB's to handle business. Now, our LB's is what is a scary situation, mainly due to health reasons. When healthy, we were fine against the run with Poz and Mitchell, but could use some beef at the other OLB position.

For those saying move Poz to the outside, my naive brain would agree with you. However, most coaches seem to say that you would need more speed on the outside, which Poz doesn't have. The ideal situation would either be a 3-4 where you have Poz and someone else, or draft another OLB that is a playmaker.

Overall, on D. I think that if you get some pass rushing DE's, another OLB, and a SS, we are in great shape. Top 3 defense shape. Assuming they all stop stubbing their toes.

You bring in the right coach, make those changes, get a QB and an OT, i'm optimistic

My take is that Stroud is on the downside of his career. Given that DLs need a couple of years to mature, the Bills need to take one in this draft. I think that DE is an even higher priority. Kelsay is just another guy and Schobel may retire or, best case, return for a couple more years with declining production. Even if Maybin develops (year right), the Bills need another DE. No way that Stroud has the quickness to play DE either.

Maybe I'm not looking at the same LB as everybody else, but when I see Poz I see plenty of speed for an LB just not enough physicality at the point of attack. In the defense Buffalo played this year, he was unable to get away from blockers often enough. That's why so many tackles were made downfield. He might do better in a scheme where the DTs are trying to keep the blockers off of him, otherwise I seem him as more of a weakside linebacker like Mitchell.

If the Bills go 3-4, then Cody has to be the pick. Otherwise it will probably need to be a LT. I don't see a QB worth a 1st rounder.

I pray they do not take a QB round one. Not with the OT situation not being resolved. As much as we need a QB the games are won on the lines of scrimmage.

I really do want McClain with that #9 pick. I think the Bills have to find a way to get back into the first round and get Cody. Those two guys are instant game changers and are what you build a franchise around for years. I can not say that about any of the OT other than Okung who I think will be gone by #9 and any QB other than Clausen. But no rookie should take that beating behind our current O-line.

You could fix the defense with 2 moves in the draft. Take Mcclain with your first pick & cody with your 2nd pick. Trade up if you have to. 2 Bama boys & 2 players that will knock you into next tuesday. Get these 2 guys & your defense is top 15 possibly top 10 next year. Worry about the offense in year 2 of the rebuilding project.

Honestly, this is so defensive heavy and we know how bad our offense is, but I love it. Build an absolutely dominant side of the ball and then wait for the offense to grow. With those moves, this is an elite unit. Maybin would benefit from Cody's giant @ss taking up 2 blockers. Defense still wins games and I would be 100% on board with this plan.

...or, Sign Casey Hampton, who I think has time left, and the steelers typically don't re-sign their vets.

and since I think McClain will stay in bama, buffalo could sign Larry Foote, who has played in the 34.

then use the picks on fixing the QB spot and OL

I pray they do not take a QB round one. Not with the OT situation not being resolved. As much as we need a QB the games are won on the lines of scrimmage.

I really do want McClain with that #9 pick. I think the Bills have to find a way to get back into the first round and get Cody. Those two guys are instant game changers and are what you build a franchise around for years. I can not say that about any of the OT other than Okung who I think will be gone by #9 and any QB other than Clausen. But no rookie should take that beating behind our current O-line.

If we address LT in free agency (Mankins?), I'm totally on board with getting both McClain and Cody. Pretty nasty front 7 we would have....

Kelsay/Maybin

Stroud

Williams/Cody

Schobel

Mitchell

McClain

Poz

Lots of combinations there.

Sure the Bills are one of the worst teams against the run, but if Schobel retires and Maybin remains invisible, where is the pass rush? Presumably the Bills will want to be competitive and not spend all in one area? Brandon will need to sign another ticket selling marquee player like TO. Maybe take a chance on Brandon Marshall?

Which is more important?

1. DL

2. OL

3. QB

4. ticket selling marquee player like TO

...or, Sign Casey Hampton, who I think has time left, and the steelers typically don't re-sign their vets.

and since I think McClain will stay in bama, buffalo could sign Larry Foote, who has played in the 34.

then use the picks on fixing the QB spot and OL

I still don't get the hard-on for a 3-4. It's not the scheme, it's the players. In fact since every team plays a 3-4 (including every team in the division), it's probably an advantage to play a different defense. I believe the Pats had their worst offense game of the season against us.

If we address LT in free agency (Mankins?), I'm totally on board with getting both McClain and Cody. Pretty nasty front 7 we would have....

Kelsay/Maybin

Stroud

Williams/Cody

Schobel

Mitchell

McClain

Poz

Lots of combinations there.

Mankins is a G and not an OT. And I don't see a 4-3 team taking a guy like Cody, he's a 3-4 NT two down type of player.

As much as sideline to sideline LBs are necessary, unless the Bills shore up their DL, it doesn't matter. Too often the DL aren't freeing up the backers to make plays and while fans love names like Stroud, he is not occupying two blockers like he used to.