Defensive Draft Targets...

With all the uncertainty that surrounds the Bills currently there are a things that are certain, whoever is the coach will want/need to drastically improve the lines on this team (front seven on Defense).

The Bills were 30rd against the run this season 156.2 yards per game at a 4.7 yards per carry average

The Bills registered 32 sacks of opponents. This was tied with 5 other teams for 18th in the league.

OT, DT, LB, DE are the 4 positions I would target first and foremost this April, below are my defensive prospects for DT and LB. If you have any prospects you like I will dd them, or if you have any more thoughts on the mentioned I will update.

For the record s badly as we need an OT, I would like the Bills to select McClain and find a way to get Terrence Cody in the late first or early 2nd. I think the two will have an immediate impact on the defense, and will also allow others to lay at their more natural position.

Defensive Tackles

Gerald McCoy

Oklahoma

projects top 5

In all likelihood McCoy will be gone before the Bills select at pick #9.

Terrance Cody

Alabama 6'5'' 365lbs

The guy is n absolute monster at 6'5" 365lbs. He is athletic and has blocked kicks. He is a prototypical 3-4 NT and if we will be changing to a 3-4 defense for next year then I see him as a must get. He is projected as a late 1st round pick in the 20's. Paired with Kyle Williams the Bills would have a solid interior line combo for years to come. This would cause Stroud to move to a DE position.

Dan Williams

Tennessee 6'3'' 327lbs.

Projects late 1st rounder

Marvin Austin

North Carolina - 6'3'' 305 lbs.

projects 3rd round

Strong against the run, but lackluster in collapsing the passing pocket

Linebackers

Rolando McClain

Alabama 6'4'' 256lbs.

projects Top Half Round One.

He would be the starting middle linebacker from day one, and Poz could slide to the outside. Supposed 4.6 in the forty.

Bruce Carter

North Carolina 6'3'' 225lbs

Slightly undersized for my liking

Eric Norwood

South Carolina - 6'0'' 252lbs.

projects late round 2 early round 3

Plays the OLB position very well gets after the QB (South Carolina career leader in sacks and tackles for loss)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mcclain may have timed at a 4.6, but i think his playing speed is even better than that. i remember him running down either jeff demps or chris rainey (midgets that can run like hell) on sweeps, holding them to a minimal gain when against other teams it'd be a 30+ yarder.

mcclain may have timed at a 4.6, but i think his playing speed is even better than that. i remember him running down either jeff demps or chris rainey (midgets that can run like hell) on sweeps, holding them to a minimal gain when against other teams it'd be a 30+ yarder.

I remember that play form the SEC Championship game. On a sweep left he just ran the guy down and rode him down on a solo tackle. Who would have thought a LB would can make a solo tackle without being dragged.

I really hope we can get Cody as well. But if you're right about where he is projected to be drafted, we'd need to trade up or down to get him without reaching.

From everything I have seen from him, I think he wouldn't be a reach at #9, but I do think he can be had later. I'm not sure why he is projecting so low right now. My only thought is that he is not a 3 down player because he is off the field in obvious passing situations.

I really hope we can get Cody as well. But if you're right about where he is projected to be drafted, we'd need to trade up or down to get him without reaching.

You could fix the defense with 2 moves in the draft. Take Mcclain with your first pick & cody with your 2nd pick. Trade up if you have to. 2 Bama boys & 2 players that will knock you into next tuesday. Get these 2 guys & your defense is top 15 possibly top 10 next year. Worry about the offense in year 2 of the rebuilding project.

With all the uncertainty that surrounds the Bills currently there are a things that are certain, whoever is the coach will want/need to drastically improve the lines on this team (front seven on Defense).

The Bills were 30rd against the run this season 156.2 yards per game at a 4.7 yards per carry average

The Bills registered 32 sacks of opponents. This was tied with 5 other teams for 18th in the league.

OT, DT, LB, DE are the 4 positions I would target first and foremost this April, below are my defensive prospects for DT and LB. If you have any prospects you like I will dd them, or if you have any more thoughts on the mentioned I will update.

For the record s badly as we need an OT, I would like the Bills to select McClain and find a way to get Terrence Cody in the late first or early 2nd. I think the two will have an immediate impact on the defense, and will also allow others to lay at their more natural position.

Defensive Tackles

Gerald McCoy

Oklahoma

projects top 5

In all likelihood McCoy will be gone before the Bills select at pick #9.

Terrance Cody

Alabama 6'5'' 365lbs

The guy is n absolute monster at 6'5" 365lbs. He is athletic and has blocked kicks. He is a prototypical 3-4 NT and if we will be changing to a 3-4 defense for next year then I see him as a must get. He is projected as a late 1st round pick in the 20's. Paired with Kyle Williams the Bills would have a solid interior line combo for years to come. This would cause Stroud to move to a DE position.

Dan Williams

Tennessee 6'3'' 327lbs.

Projects late 1st rounder

Marvin Austin

North Carolina - 6'3'' 305 lbs.

projects 3rd round

Strong against the run, but lackluster in collapsing the passing pocket

Linebackers

Rolando McClain

Alabama 6'4'' 256lbs.

projects Top Half Round One.

He would be the starting middle linebacker from day one, and Poz could slide to the outside. Supposed 4.6 in the forty.

Bruce Carter

North Carolina 6'3'' 225lbs

Slightly undersized for my liking

Eric Norwood

Plays the OLB position very well gets after the QB (South Carolina career leader in sacks and tackles for loss)

Bruce Carter and Marvin Austin said they're returning to school next season, but if they weren't I like their upsides.

I remember that play form the SEC Championship game. On a sweep left he just ran the guy down and rode him down on a solo tackle. Who would have thought a LB would can make a solo tackle without being dragged.

wait, what?

You could fix the defense with 2 moves in the draft. Take Mcclain with your first pick & cody with your 2nd pick. Trade up if you have to. 2 Bama boys & 2 players that will knock you into next tuesday. Get these 2 guys & your defense is top 15 possibly top 10 next year. Worry about the offense in year 2 of the rebuilding project.

:thumbsup: That'd be too awesome for our team to do.

wait, what?

I know he ran down Tebow and made a solo on a hurry to the left in the SECCG.

If we go to a 3-4, then I want Cody. He's a beast and athletic for his size. He'd be a true run stuffer.

Even in a 4-3 I'd love Cody. Bring back the "Package"..Cody, Kyle and Stroud is a heckuva rotation. Play all 3 at once and let Schobel come off the edge...not too bad. And Norwood in Round 2 would be lethal. Problem is, we desperately need OTs and I think thats where we go in Round 1.

Carter and Austin announced in the Raleigh paper that they were staying in college.

As a Tarheel fan I'm very happy to hear this. Carter is a physical specimen, who not only plays great but is incredible in special teams play. I like Austin as well, but I thought he needed another year in college before he went to the pros.

In regards to what we do, I'm hoping Rolando McClain all the way with our first round pick, I believe he is a can't miss player. I also hope that we trade back into the first round to pick up Cody, he'd be good in any defensive system and give us that much needed run clogger that we havn't had since Pat Williams.

Even in a 4-3 I'd love Cody. Bring back the "Package"..Cody, Kyle and Stroud is a heckuva rotation. Play all 3 at once and let Schobel come off the edge...not too bad. And Norwood in Round 2 would be lethal. Problem is, we desperately need OTs and I think thats where we go in Round 1.

there are some good free agent lineman too. It will be interesting to see who is available and not franchised

Jahri Evans, Logan Mankins, and Marcus McNeil- any would help our woeful line.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html

There is not enough high draft picks to fill our major holes. I wouldn't mind concentrating on one side of the ball for the draft and making that unit top 10- then trying to address the other side with free agency

I really like Mclain,but i too agree we need to finish whats been started on the oline.Buddy said at his presser that the qb cant throw laying on his back if thats any indication(which i think it is).

Eric Norwood

I love Eric Norwood. He's been killing it since his Sophmore year. He reminds me a lot of Lemar Woodley.