Has anything really changed at OBD?

gjv001

With Brandon as CEO, and Nix reporting to him , Modrake head of scouting and Guy in charge of Free Agent evaluations, it dosn't appear we have much of a strategic change at OBD. It bothers me a little when Brandon has to bring in Kelley and Thomas to sell his decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel the same old PR con job coming out of OBD.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Brandon as CEO, and Nix reporting to him , Modrake head of scouting and Guy in charge of Free Agent evaluations, it dosn't appear we have much of a strategic change at OBD. It bothers me a little when Brandon has to bring in Kelley and Thomas to sell his decision. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel the same old PR con job coming out of OBD.

is it clear at this point that Modrak and Guy are staying on?

without all the details (which we'll probably never have) ti's tough to say if anything has changed (and how much), or not.

id LIKE to believe this means the end of the decision making being done by the "Inner Circle" and putting most of it on Nix. If that is the case, then yes, a lot has changed.

if it's still going to be "everyone get their info together and then we'll all talk about it, and roast marshmellows, and Ralph will decide", then we're still screwed.

but the way im reading into it (for no other reason that its the way i HOPE it to be), Nix will have the final say on everything and we're looking at a change... Go Bills!

The moves were more or less a re-org. But that might be enough. At the very LEAST now the Bills got the right guys doing the jobs they have the skill sets to perform. No more business guys running the football side of things.

There were multiple sources stating that Guy was the finalist, but did anyone inside the Bills organization actually say that?

IMO, Modrak makes more sense, not as the real GM, but someone inside you could seriously consider.

hey it was only Ralph who said it live during the PC

but he's incoherent and senile so that does not count

The moves were more or less a re-org. But that might be enough. At the very LEAST now the Bills got the right guys doing the jobs they have the skill sets to perform. No more business guys running the football side of things.

remains to be seen if this was anything more than new titles being handed out

new scouts and front office need to be added ASAP to replace Modrak and Guy

Since Nix has been here for a year there really is no excuse why those 2 clowns have not been fired already.

There is no need to transition to the new regime.

Not that some of you would appreciate it, but yes things have changed. You now have a professional manager running the team with a quality football man under him. But the main thing that hasn't changed is Ralph Wilson. He still owns the team.

I've been hearing stories about the last decade and it seems Ralph has injected his will at some critical junctures, undermining the very people he hired to make those decisions. So how good the new regime does comes down to how much Ralph leaves them alone. That will be Brandon's biggest challenge.

PTR

Clarification, Nix was the most qualified in-house candidate. There were other qualified candidates outside of the organization that were never interviewed.

We will know more about whether this is real change when the new head coach is selected and if John Guy is retained or let go. If Nix, RW and Russ scan a list and the only name they all know for a head coach is Haslett (and he is the choice), then we are all screwed.

Clarification, Nix was the most qualified in-house candidate. There were other qualified candidates outside of the organization that were never interviewed.

We will know more about whether this is real change when the new head coach is selected and if John Guy is retained or let go. If Nix, RW and Russ scan a list and the only name they all know for a head coach is Haslett (and he is the choice), then we are all screwed.

Of course, they could get "lucky" - you know you need that more than a good cogent plan. Ralph said so.

C

Sort of comical if the selection process is done like some of the FA posts on this board, "I've heard of him! Get'r done!"

Well, comical may be a relative term here. Sad and pathetic may be apt adjectives as well.

It's been written in a few sources that Guy was the other finalist which makes sense as likely he was interviewed to fill the Rooney rule. Speculation on my part, yes, HOWEVER if RW was really considering him and felt he would have been a good choice, you wouldn't then give the job to a person who pretty much ripped the free agent signings we've made in recent years. I will be very surpirsed if Guy is around much longer, although I thought someplace in the past I read that the contracts of most front office positions excluding GM expire May 1st, the idea beign that they complete the scouting/signing phase before lettignthem go. I seem to recall when TD took over, many of the scouting positions stayed intact until after the draft. I almost think that may have been when Nix left the Bills.

No. The mere thought that Guy was a finalist for the GM job frightens me, though.

No. The mere thought that Guy was a finalist for the GM job frightens me, though.

The only way I see that Guy was even considered for the GM job was to satisfy the NFL's requirements for interviewing a minority candidate for any open position within the organization.

IMO, Ralph and/or Brandon were just covering their a$$es by offering Guy an interview. If they hadn't, the ACLU and NAACP would have been knocking down the doors at OBD, bringing unnecessary spotlight to a situation that doesn't need it. It would have probably hampered the process of getting a coach in here in a timely manner and just set the new direction of this team off on the wrong foot.

hey it was only Ralph who said it live during the PC

but he's incoherent and senile so that does not count

nope, I just re-watched the whole presser and Guy's name was never mentioned as the finalist. Ralph fields the question about 10:05 into it. He just said there were two internal candidates and Nix came out on top since he had a little more managerial experience.

Yes, Brandon as CEO now reports to RW directly. Previously, as GM of the team he reported to ??

just guessing, but I think Ralph was only clarifying that Brandon still reports to him, not to the new GM. And while you undoubtedly know this, Brandon was never the GM; he was the Chief Operating Officer with some input and decision making that a GM would typically be responsible for.